Suddenly, Us Airways Is A Darling Of Wall Street

I don't think I personally would be thinking of buying any stock in the company :down: If I had a choice of airline stocks, it would be limited and I would be buying SW on a dip, or AirTran.

PITbull said:
I don't think I personally would be thinking of buying any stock in the company :down: If I had a choice of airline stocks, it would be limited and I would be buying SW on a dip, or AirTran.
[post="311319"][/post]​
So you want the fruits of your efforts to build an airline to be dripped back to you solely in shrunken wages? Many people complain when an airline does well financially that they don't share that with the employees. Buying stock in your company allows you to benefit from all the sacrifices that came before. If your outlook for the company is so bleak that you can't have faith in the stock, why not pick up and go someplace that is successful? You can't bet the farm on company stock a la Enron, et. al., but if you want to claim credit for the success of an airline, why not get paid back too?

I know folks who have paid off their mortgage with AWA stock gains post 9/11.

luvn737s...well said! You'll find out that it is the SAME couple of members that NEVER have anything good to say and that they SHOULD move on if they're not happy. But they won't. It's to much fun here putting in their two cents of negative bullsh_t! One of them must spend hours looking for "cute" little clipart image attachments to go with the thread...they really need to move on and get a life! You just have to look who posted the reply and you already know how the tone of their post will be! It gets old, you just have to humor them.

luvn737s said:
So you want the fruits of your efforts to build an airline to be dripped back to you solely in shrunken wages? Many people complain when an airline does well financially that they don't share that with the employees. Buying stock in your company allows you to benefit from all the sacrifices that came before. If your outlook for the company is so bleak that you can't have faith in the stock, why not pick up and go someplace that is successful? You can't bet the farm on company stock a la Enron, et. al., but if you want to claim credit for the success of an airline, why not get paid back too?

I know folks who have paid off their mortgage with AWA stock gains post 9/11.
[post="311413"][/post]​

And I know folks who have lost their shirts from buying into their own company via their 401K... first hand....ME! :angry:

I also bought American, United and USAirways in the mid and late 90's and lost.

So someone picked an airline stock and made out probably shorting it.

AWA was in bk from 1991-94. I bet if you spoke with folks who bought then, you would get a different story.

All I know is that between AWA and US Airways, 3 sets of shareholders were wiped out.

Airline stocks are just bad investments in the long haul. Too volitile and don't pay a dividend. Employees should be tied to profit sharing as compensation and take stock only if it is handed to them by the company. Then dump it.

Airline stocks are just bad investments in the long haul. Too volitile and don't pay a dividend. Employees should be tied to profit sharing as compensation and take stock only if it is handed to them by the company. Then dump it.

I hope people listen to you PitBull because like always, you are right on the money.

There are simply way too many intermediate/long term investments with better risk/return profiles than airline stocks. The average person should avoid single airline stocks like the plauge.

These are the same analysts and bankers that said Enron and WorldCom were the best stocks to own.. They are also the ones that said eBay, Yahoo and Google were crap.

If you are looking for a hole to throw money in then US LCC is the way to go.

I was one who owned AWA from the beginning, bought &sold a few times...unfortunately I was still holding when one analyst initiated a "buy" and the next day AWA went chap 11!! :down: So much for that lesson, then I moved on to U and have to admit made some and got greedy and put it back in only to lose!!! Bottom line is there much better investments out there....anybody who invests in airlines??????? :blink: :blink:

PITbull said:
[post="311436"][/post]​

Key word being "long haul". Timing is everything. AWA stock was easily predictable the last couple of years. Buy right before quartely reports released and sell a couple of weeks later.

EricLv2Fish said:
Key word being "long haul". Timing is everything. AWA stock was easily predictable the last couple of years. Buy right before quartely reports released and sell a couple of weeks later.
[post="311632"][/post]​

Don't know about the rest of you, but this airline is how I make my living and drawy the paycheck and pay the mortgage, cars, food, kids clothes, kids school..etc...i'll do what I can to make it work. It's not all up to Management, some of it is up to us, even though we are unionized employees..there has to be some level of committment to our own lives and well being. I'm all for making this work out, we've been through too much crap to sit here and try and make it worst. Sorry, but just my opinion.

Once upon a time there was a tiny, tiny chicken named Chicken Little. One day Chicken Little was scratching in the garden when something fell on her head.
"Oh," cried Chicken Little, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!

And the U/east downers fled to the hills never to be heard from again!!!
( Lets have a great ride HUGH!!!!!)

short term investing these days is a lose/lose proposition... no one can consistantly beat a bear market by day trading.. commissions over time will chip away from those occasional days you get lucky and wind up on the plus side.

dont buy airline stocks, if you want risk, go to vegas instead.. At least you will get to have some fun losing and the drinks are on the house.