Wall Street article today?

If I am reading some of these posts correctly, all Isom needs to do to solve many of the operational problems is to dust off and use the old USAirways playbook, and to give the employees a raise.

if only the passengers were conceptual

imagine that your plane is on time
believe that your bags aren't lost
pretend that your seats aren't cramped and uncomfortable
think that the employees are happy and treated fairly by management
nobody's laughing at us airways, they're laughing with us.

we should all be conceptual. :lol:

He said conceptual, not delusional! (Though delusional might be more accurate.) :lol:

The Isom article sounds like a puff piece.

Micro-managing deicing is not the way to fix the airlines problems.

Restricting your station managers ability to make judgement calls negates their function. Another example of poor micro-management.

AMEN! There was a female manager at Texaco whose employees would follow her over a cliff if she said that was the way they needed to go. I once asked her what was her secret that her employees worked so very hard and were so very loyal and showed up to work everyday (she had a couple she would have to order to go home because they would come to work sick).

Her response: "Jim, the day I became a real manager is the day I realized that my employees knew how to do their jobs better than I did. I realized that my job was to run interference for them in the political games and otherwise stay out of their hair and sit in my office and play solitaire on the computer.!" :up:

The bottom line is they need to find a way to motivate union labor. Its impossible, unless there are true incentives to improve...like the fear of losing their job, or on the positive, real financial reward.

Maybe offer snapback wages if performance improves or something like that

The bottom line is they need to find a way to motivate union labor. Its impossible, unless there are true incentives to improve...like the fear of losing their job, or on the positive, real financial reward.

Maybe offer snapback wages if performance improves or something like that

jack,

I am intrigued that you characterized "motivate union labor" in that manner, as union, apparently thinking that non-union labor is already motivated?

IMHO, dividing labor in such a manner will always yield an extremely inefficient solution and likely make the situation worse, if possible.

A big motivator is a consistent management message, something sorely lacking at US. A certain sign of failure is inconsistent policy along with volatile use of extreme tools, like the two you cited.

Find ways to enhance employee esteem would be a great way to start.

No I do understand it and I think isom does as well , but what can he do about it ? Nothing …. I just tire from reading about people who constantly complain they don’t have the “Tools†to do their job , when what their really saying is “PAY ME A LIVING WAGE AND I’LL PERFORM “ …. at least you say it straight up instead of trying to hide behind this “we don’t have the tools†b/s .

Ah well , at least by the time the super bowl comes around I’m sure we will have ALL our operational problems fixed… cause gee , I’d hate to see some sort of meltdown that makes national news and ruins the game for thousands of the flying public .. Here’s to fixing our operational problems!

What can he do about it? Nothing? Are you nuts?

His job, as well as Parker and his boys, IS to do something about it!!!!!! My God man what do you think they are paid to do? Pay is not the only motivational factor in their arsenal. You've got to be kidding me.

What can he do about it? JEEEZ.......... why don't you attempt to hold these guys accountable for what they are supposed to be doing? Do they have the employees so snowed they actually believe what you just wrote? Do you actually believe it yourself?

Tools? Do you even work here?

No the distinct message I got from Isom is that he’s here to fix the operational problems that are non employee caused … from everything he said, it sounded like parker put blinders on him to deal ONLY with the lack of “tools and planning †that we have and NOT employee issues with contracts and the like . Perhaps you should attend one of his town halls to better understand what his focus will be here ..

If Isom was conducting the contract negotiations then I would hold him accountable , but he isn’t .

We all know who holds the purse strings at this company and it’s not the new guy … now if you want to run around HQ crying to every single executive and manager about how poor your paid your more than welcome …. But crying to Isom won’t do much good , I could tell from his tone that he’s not labor friendly … surprise ….

Oh and how are we going to “hold them accountable “ ? what exactly does that mean ? cry louder ?

Freedom

Your a gullible pup. You believe all the b/s upper management sends your way. and want to defend them to the bitter

end here on the boards. let me ask you whats that going to get you at the end of day ? more money =no

Isom is playing a broken record that we on the east have heard from 2 other MANAGEMENT teams. and the reality is this airline

at least on the east side prior to sep 2005 had its BEST YEAR in O.T performance / PAWOBS / customer complaints. SO maybe

Mr ISOM should just let the east run the airline like we used to and he would see improvements. Oh but we lost SABRE.

so now were stick with an 80's version of a computer system in the 21 century . There in lies a BIG part of the problem

No , I’ve been here long enough that I no longer believe everything that management tells me , however , common sense dictates that if the sole issues affecting this company were labor ones then they wouldn’t have bothered to bring in an operations guy , they would have gotten a negotiator instead .

I don’t think of myself as defending management , but sometimes I do like to try and see things from the “other side “ from time to time …

A lot of the criticisms on this message board are justified , but there are times when you start to wonder just how much of it is driven by “contract issues “ separate from actual “operation issues “.

You guys have to continue to remember that the old us airways went through, 2 BK’s which resulted in a labor savings of what ?1.5 billion ? I understand that everyone wants their pay back to what it used to be , but alas , unless DP starts shitting gold bricks I don’t think it’s gonna happen ……and the best we can hope for are reasonable gains .

p.s if you want me to point out someone in particular in management that I don’t think is pulling their weight , I’d have to say that Kirby fellow , what exactly does he do here again ?

No , I’ve been here long enough that I no longer believe everything that management tells me , however , common sense dictates that if the sole issues affecting this company were labor ones then they wouldn’t have bothered to bring in an operations guy , they would have gotten a negotiator instead .

I don’t think of myself as defending management , but sometimes I do like to try and see things from the “other side “ from time to time …

A lot of the criticisms on this message board are justified , but there are times when you start to wonder just how much of it is driven by “contract issues “ separate from actual “operation issues “.

You guys have to continue to remember that the old us airways went through, 2 BK’s which resulted in a labor savings of what ?1.5 billion ? I understand that everyone wants their pay back to what it used to be , but alas , unless DP starts shitting gold bricks I don’t think it’s gonna happen ……and the best we can hope for are reasonable gains .

p.s if you want me to point out someone in particular in management that I don’t think is pulling their weight , I’d have to say that Kirby fellow , what exactly does he do here again ?
The voice of reason...there are actually quite a few of us on the east side, believe it or not. We're just not as vocal. And your last question deserves its own thread.....the million dollar question.

This article is a "fluff" piece about Isom -- there is no "news" in the article.
It is simply a re-hash of things that have already been reported on over the
past few months. I have become very leary of these so-called "airline analysts"
and reporters -- the dis-information and "jump on the bandwagon" approaches are
ridiculous and not informative or "news" by any means. I would have expected
more from the WSJ (but, alas, it was written by Melanie -- she never has had a
good reputation as a reporter.)

However, in the cynical world of U.S. airlines, I guess the "news" could have
been worse and the fact that it IS nothing more than a fluff piece could be
considered "good" news...

I still prefer Mike Boyd (http://aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm) -- although he
did tout the RJ as the answer to the airlines prayers several years ago and has
now done a complete 180 on that subject... And Holly Heggaman of Planebuzz and
Planebusines (http://www.planebuzz.com/) for her sense of humor, mostly -- Did
you know she is being sued by Mesa Airlines for her coverage of go! ? It's
pretty funny...

One of the things that the WSJ article mentions, in passing, is that US Airways
has not been cohesive and does not have a one, single goal since the merger.
That statement is probably the most telling of the real state of US Airways --
and unless Isom can translate his "vision" to the troops and get them to
respond, appropriately, he is doomed. And if he can't get the troops to see
things his way, he needs to clean house and fire some butts and then US Airways
needs to PAY for good people -- and not just at the Isom level -- if they want
Isom-inspired results, they need to pay everyone Isom-level salaries.

Regards
DC

Mr. Isom is making nice gestures. It’s the thought that counts.
Isom does seem like a likeable, quality individual. I can honestly say I was impressed with him when I met him . Hopefully HE can truly be given the tools he needs to accomplish his job. Parker gets absolutely no respect amongst the rank and file, unless you are looking for a Life of the Party individual. Kirby is RESPONSIBLE for the current state of the clusterf* we see on a daily basis, and Shambles........I think she will more than likely be part of the Trainwreck Family of Brittney Spears when the story unfolds. And Elise Eberwein......the Spinmistress of the Sandcastle/Batcave. Isom has his work cut out for him.