Mirror, Mirror On the Wall: What About US Airways After All?

Oh yeah, just what the doctor ordered! Give away more "scope" provisions. Flash forward 5 years will we see Republic flying the A319 and only mainline flying the A321? Happened with EMB 175/190. By all means lets give away more scope. Ah, those pesky unions just mess up the plans to express out the entire fleet for poverty pay. Soon there will be no middle class in America :rolleyes:

Basically it says Merge or have a cost advantage, right?

I still say JetBlue is the best merger option US has right now and jumping boat to OneWorld. I think OneWorld would be in a very good position in they had locks on Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York City, Miami, Orlando, and Washington DC. I know; US ditched Boston, but maybe with some JetBlue management & such, US could make Boston work.

OneWorld Hubs: Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York City, Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Phoenix. (US/B6/AMR)

Star Alliance Hubs: Houston, Newark, Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Denver, & Washington DC (CAL/UAL)

Sky Team Hubs: Cincinnati, Atlanta, New York, Salt Lake city, Minneapolis, Detroit, & Memphis. (Delta)

which sounds better?

Although an interesting read, It sounds like it was written by someone in management itself. This was someone's blog filled with one sided opinion.

The blog tries to argue about how employees need to understand their role in the airline industry and that compensation just can't be the same as these big new mega carriers with more routes and more hubs and more everything. This may leave some readers scratching their heads about that one. The management of your airline constantly speaks of shared sacrifice but yet his compensation never seems to reflect that. With data from 07 Aviation Week and Space Technology we see that Mr. Parker's compensation was $5,400.00 which was fourth highest overall in the US airline industry. In fact, it was higher than Alaska, Southwest, and Jetblue CEO'S combined. Almost one million more than his counterpart at American, and two million more than that of the airline he tried to take over which is Delta.

If you buy the bloggers arguement then Mr. Parker will have to do some adjusting of his own. The leader must show leadership. You lead by example. You have to be able to take the punches just like your troops.

I don't claim to know what all the numbers say, but rest assured there is an advantage to the split operations. My understanding is that every group has agreements with the exception of the pilots. If there was an advantage to putting things together they would have done something to get them together. I know they can't intervene from any legal standpoint and that the issue at hand is an internal union issue. However, there is nothing from stopping them from sitting down with the union and trying to come up with an out of the box solution that may bring the parties together. I am well aware of the Binding arbitration. Just like any LEGAL argument though, it ain't over till it's over. I think this case proves just that. Just cause there is a court order does not make it over from a legal standpoint. Again, I do not know anything about arbitration but I do no sometimes outside cases go all the way to the Supreme Court. Don't know how far this can go but your management seems content at the moment.

It speaks of pilots giving away scope and they will be handsomely rewarded. I think they have heard that broken record before. US airways is almost a paper airline. I have spoken about this before. You can fly to some places on the east coast at least where you never actually fly on US Airways. I was in Tokyo about two years back and they were making an announcement over the pa saying last call for US airways flight such and such to JFK. It even had directions to the US Airways gate on the board. The flight was flown by ANA a star alliance partner. So, I guess it is even conceivable that I could book a ticket to anywhere and never actually fly the airline for which I bought the ticket. I am not saying that Alliance's are good for something but I think reliance on them is the demise of the product.

I find it ironic that the highest paid employee group in the US that also has the best scope can also be the one that also pulls out the most profits. This seems to go in the face of all those arguments in the blog. Something to consider.

I do think that the consolidation bandwagon can help US Airways in the long run. The one thing your CEO does get right is the fact that it does not mean that US Airways has to have a partner at the dance. What it does need more than anything at this point is a Management team that can lead. That is where we need to be concerned.

Basically it says Merge or have a cost advantage, right?

I still say JetBlue is the best merger option US has right now and jumping boat to OneWorld. I think OneWorld would be in a very good position in they had locks on Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York City, Miami, Orlando, and Washington DC. I know; US ditched Boston, but maybe with some JetBlue management & such, US could make Boston work.

OneWorld Hubs: Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, New York City, Washington DC, Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Phoenix. (US/B6/AMR)

Star Alliance Hubs: Houston, Newark, Cleveland, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Denver, & Washington DC (CAL/UAL)

Sky Team Hubs: Cincinnati, Atlanta, New York, Salt Lake city, Minneapolis, Detroit, & Memphis. (Delta)

which sounds better?

Trust me as a NYer , my friend , if a US/B6 were to happen, Senator Schumer would be voted out of office at the next term. US Airways monopolizing of dinky Upstate airports was what we NYers were led to believe would stop with B6. US swallowed Empire and others because of their cut-throat tactics. Most thought B6 would fall into the same fate. It didn't!

A B6/AA merger would be very welcomed since both airlines target the same competitors, so it seems. But B6 is now a leader and is being followed by others and unions aren't a welcome to the B6 overall plan...so it seems. Just my humble opinion and observation B)

Why doesn't anybody state the obvious? US has a great merger partner with Air Trash! US has the Kettles and Air Trash has the trailer/ghetto trash. It's a marriage made in heaven and at least they have the American-made Boeings rather than that Euro-Trash AirBus! :D

Well, we know where all of his info is coming from: that pilot who was desperate to be a United pilot but now sees his chances finally thwarted. The info in the piece is mostly what comes out of the mouth and imagination of someone who posts his "Interesting information" on any board that will have him.

Anyhoo, what are the high cost items of U? Is it wages? no, it's the leases on planes and fuel.

Well, we know where all of his info is coming from: that pilot who was desperate to be a United pilot but now sees his chances finally thwarted. The info in the piece is mostly what comes out of the mouth and imagination of someone who posts his "Interesting information" on any board that will have him.

Anyhoo, what are the high cost items of U? Is it wages? no, it's the leases on planes and fuel.

Shouldn't this be in the pilot union thread?

Why doesn't anybody state the obvious? US has a great merger partner with Air Trash! US has the Kettles and Air Trash has the trailer/ghetto trash. It's a marriage made in heaven and at least they have the American-made Boeings rather than that Euro-Trash AirBus! :D
USAir Trash. good route combo.

I doubt a combined US/B6 would have more market share than DL, AA or the "new" UA currently have or will have in the NYC area.

Although an interesting read, It sounds like it was written by someone in management itself. This was someone's blog filled with one sided opinion.
Agreed. A blog is the opinion of the writer.

The blog tries to argue about how employees need to understand their role in the airline industry and that compensation just can't be the same as these big new mega carriers with more routes and more hubs and more everything. This may leave some readers scratching their heads about that one. The management of your airline constantly speaks of shared sacrifice but yet his compensation never seems to reflect that. With data from 07 Aviation Week and Space Technology we see that Mr. Parker's compensation was $5,400.00 which was fourth highest overall in the US airline industry.

I think you mean his salary was $550K. This didn't include other benefits that totaled millions.

In fact, it was higher than Alaska, Southwest, and Jetblue CEO'S combined. Almost one million more than his counterpart at American, and two million more than that of the airline he tried to take over which is Delta.

Needleman(?)Northwest CEO made over 11 million in the deal with the Delta merger. merger.Salaries are numbers The finalized compensations add up for CEOs.

If you buy the bloggers arguement then Mr. Parker will have to do some adjusting of his own. The leader must show leadership. You lead by example. You have to be able to take the punches just like your troops.

It is the CEO's job to make money for the investors/stock holders.

I don't claim to know what all the numbers say, but rest assured there is an advantage to the split operations. My understanding is that every group has agreements with the exception of the pilots. If there was an advantage to putting things together they would have done something to get them together.

Think of a pyramid and the pilots are on the top triangle. What they do has an effect on the the rest.

I know they can't intervene from any legal standpoint and that the issue at hand is an internal union issue. However, there is nothing from stopping them from sitting down with the union and trying to come up with an out of the box solution that may bring the parties together.

Hmmmm...logic seems to be a foreign matter to those involved. God knows I've tried!

I am well aware of the Binding arbitration. Just like any LEGAL argument though, it ain't over till it's over. I think this case proves just that. Just cause there is a court order does not make it over from a legal standpoint.

You are an illegal union, deal with it. USAPS represent a divided an illeal union and this thread belongs elsewhere.

Again, I do not know anything about arbitration but I do no sometimes outside cases go all the way to the Supreme Court. Don't know how far this can go but your management seems content at the moment.

Been there done that. I was corrected that this ain't going to the Supreme because this decision was FINAL!

It speaks of pilots giving away scope and they will be handsomely rewarded. I think they have heard that broken record before. US airways is almost a paper airline. I have spoken about this before. You can fly to some places on the east coast at least where you never actually fly on US Airways. I was in Tokyo about two years back and they were making an announcement over the pa saying last call for US airways flight such and such to JFK. It even had directions to the US Airways gate on the board. The flight was flown by ANA a star alliance partner. So, I guess it is even conceivable that I could book a ticket to anywhere and never actually fly the airline for which I bought the ticket. I am not saying that Alliance's are good for something but I think reliance on them is the demise of the p

Shhh! I once posted how the SA was screwing US and posted an article that was immediately removed and I was banned to the cornfield. These people can't handle the TRUTH!

I find it ironic that the highest paid employee group in the US that also has the best scope can also be the one that also pulls out the most profits. This seems to go in the face of all those arguments in the blog. Something to consider.

Pilots seem to be blind beyond the picket fences especially in Disgruntia otherwise known as the East!

I do think that the consolidation bandwagon can help US Airways in the long run. The one thing your CEO does get right is the fact that it does not mean that US Airways has to have a partner at the dance. What it does need more than anything at this point is a Management team that can lead. That is where we need to be concerned.

US needs to stay in it's league. Pretty with pretty and ugly with US. Air Tran is a great dance partner in MHO!!!

Back