Super 80 pilots...

KSUpilot

Jun 6, 2006
I'm entering Kent State this Fall and already have my eyes set on the future. Kent has a feeder program in Continental Express, which is a great start, but my ultimate dream is to pilot an MD-80 with American.

Just a question for some of the MD-80 pilots on here, how did you guys get into the cockpit of that aircraft? Was it just chance, or was it something you wanted to do? I know when you are starting out you don't have much of a choice in what you fly. I guess I am wondering what path would lead me to the MD-80.

I'll take just about any flying job offered to me once I am out of college, but it would be a real ultimate accomplishment for me to finally fly the Super 80. :up:

Here is some free advice for you - don't become an airline pilot. If you ignore my advice and do become an airline pilot, please at least make sure that you have a skill and/or useful degree in case it does not work out. I flew the 80 at AA, but thanks to my furlough four years ago, I am out of aviation and I am now in the field that my degree is in. Just think long and hard about entering aviation as it just is not what it used to be and there is virtually no job security.

I'm entering Kent State this Fall and already have my eyes set on the future. Kent has a feeder program in Continental Express, which is a great start, but my ultimate dream is to pilot an MD-80 with American.

Just a question for some of the MD-80 pilots on here, how did you guys get into the cockpit of that aircraft? Was it just chance, or was it something you wanted to do? I know when you are starting out you don't have much of a choice in what you fly. I guess I am wondering what path would lead me to the MD-80.

I'll take just about any flying job offered to me once I am out of college, but it would be a real ultimate accomplishment for me to finally fly the Super 80. :up:

Sorry to pop your "ultimate dream job" bubble, kid, but by time you graduate from KSU and pile up enough hours to get an interview with AA, the MD-80 fleet will largely be retired. So you'll either have to settle for the E190/195 or the 738 (or its successor).

Quick question for you: Don't you aspire to fly the 787-10 or the 777-200ER or (assuming AA buys NW) the 747-8? Why would anyone think the MD-80 represented the ultimate dream job?

Just a question for some of the MD-80 pilots on here, how did you guys get into the cockpit of that aircraft?

Most pilots enter thru the cockpit door, although I suppose there are a few mavericks who go in & out the sliding window...

Take the advice given to you already... find a real job, or go to grad school to get your law degree or MBA. That way, if you still want to be a pilot, you'll be able to buy your own plane in about 10 years.

KSUpilot,

I'm not a pilot, so take my advice accordingly;
First, listen IN LARGE PART to what the three people who posted before me, said about having SIGNIFICANT career BACK UP !!

BUT I understand what it means to strive for your Ultimate goal.

( :angry: Not that, (in my case), I reached mine)
(I always wanted to be a Railroad Engineer, but ended up being a "bagroom engineer", for AA) :shock:

FWAAA says it best.
By the time (if)your flying a full size jet, the S-80 will have gone to the "graveyard in the sky" !!

While you "ponder" a back up (job) choice, "ponder" a jet a/c choice !!

Good Luck

NH/BB's

but it would be a real ultimate accomplishment for me to finally fly the Super 80. :up:
I guess you never talked to a pilot who has flown one out of DFW on a 100 degree day like today with an inop APU and an inop left pack. :shock: Fly one like that, and your dream plane just caught up with the reality of the airline industry. :blink:

Dream a little bigger, corporate jets is a good start. :up:

There are thousands of pilots currently on furlough at AA with unlimited recall rights. They must be offered a recall before any new pilots can be hired. American is still shrinking its schedule. It will be years, if not decades, before AA may be able to offer you a job.

Why would anyone want to be pilot or mechanic in the airline industry? People who desire such things need to be put in a mental institution, because they are "loco en el cabezza"! Stay out of the airlines! Fly freight or fly corporate. If you're the outdoorzy type, move to Alaska and start your own charter service.

Wow never thought of it all like this. Not ready to give up the dream to fly, but yeah, the MD-80 dream may have to die. I'd really be happy to fly just about anything for anyone.
Most likely I will end up with Continental Express in four years, which isn't bad at all.

Wow never thought of it all like this. Not ready to give up the dream to fly, but yeah, the MD-80 dream may have to die. I'd really be happy to fly just about anything for anyone.
Most likely I will end up with Continental Express in four years, which isn't bad at all.

Given the current state of the industry you might want to try the military.