sw plane goes off the rnway in mdw

Bubble Boy,
Sad to say, but it does happen. One comes to mind, Value Jet, now flying as Air Tran.

Actually, a B737 lands at that speed most of the time....that is only 132 knots and with a 5 knot tailwind that means 128 knots.

WHERE the jet hit the ground at 132 knots groundspeed will tell the tale of whether this was a pilot issue or a runway surface/mechanical issue.

Boomer

Bingo. I wonder how accurate that number is. It's possible the news "professionals" reported the "knots" as MPH, without correcting.

"maybe its time to realise that low cost carriers such as southwest arent so safe with their go go go take off take off speed threw the runways and be so go go just too make the company money not looking at safety"...PSA

I think their saftey record will stand for its self. Their brand is what the customer wants. Saftey has nothing to do with it.

If your old PSA than you'd recognize that brand. I miss it too.

My hats of to that front crew that pulled it together and kept that accident from being sooooo more than the tragedy it is.

Can there ever be an accident where no fingers are pointed?

Bingo. I wonder how accurate that number is. It's possible the news "professionals" reported the "knots" as MPH, without correcting.

The NTSB briefing gave those numbers. Actually, it was a 7-8 kt tailwind according to the briefing, with the touchdown airspeed 124 kts with the wind from 090 @ 10. Braking reported "fair on most of the runway and poor at the ends". Initial CVR and FDR readouts indicated nothing unusual about the approach, but as someone said, they'll have to calculate the touchdown point since there are no physical markings due to conditions.

Someone familiar with the -700 with winglets could comment, but on the -300 a 124 kt touchdown is pretty slow considering the reported 98 passengers and assuming the weather resulted in a not-so-near alternate.

Jim

I have been watching SWA cut corners, land downwind, demand non-preferred runways, land long and hot, cutoff other traffic and use excessive speed for years.....and I mean years.

I thought that BUR would be their wakeup call, but now that they have killed an innocent, maybe they will finally get it.

To land downwind on a short, contaminated runway is a criminal act and that Captain should be treated as one.

Go ahead, flame away, but I will ask the domestic, non-SWA pilots on this board to chime in.

The cowboy culture is alive and well.

Time for a NASIP.

I have been watching SWA cut corners, land downwind, demand non-preferred runways, land long and hot, cutoff other traffic and use excessive speed for years.....and I mean years.

I thought that BUR would be their wakeup call, but now that they have killed an innocent, maybe they will finally get it.

To land downwind on a short, contaminated runway is a criminal act and that Captain should be treated as one.

Go ahead, flame away, but I will ask the domestic, non-SWA pilots on this board to chime in.

Time for a NASIP.

I will say they taxi faster than they should, that's all I have to say about that.

Your name "Iliketowatch" should be changed to "Iliketojudge". :rolleyes:

This was a very rapidly changing environment. We'll find the real answers as the NTSB continues with their investigation. There will be plenty of blame to go around, and probably plenty of praise for different individuals as well.

Until facts are presented publicly by official sources I'll refrain from any further comment on this incident.

Godspeed to those involved.

Time for a NASIP.
YOur very first post. How nice. Care to let us in on who you fly for so we can critique your pilots actions during their next accident? There but for the Grace of God go you.

http://www.faa.gov/arp/pdf/5200-30a.pdf
Interestingly, it was following the Southwest overrun at Burbank when the FAA deemed the extended runway safety area (ERSA, located at the end of each runway, as one of the highest priority eligible projects under the FAA AIP program. In fact, the construction of ERSA superseded just about all other airport improvement program projects. It really surprises me that Midway apparently does not have any ERSA's at the end of their runways that meet FAA design standards.

Right now there is physically no room for ERSAs at the end of MDW's two main runways, as they extend practically up to the corners of the airport.
Putting them in would require major realignments of the four arterial street intersections at the corners (Cicero/55th; Cicero/63rd; Central/55th; Central/63rd).
the streets can certainly be realigned to accomodate ERSAs--most of Cicero Avenue between 55th and 63rd was realigned about an eighth of a mile to the east to accomodate MDW's new terminal, for example--but it will not be easy, quick, or cheap.

One intersesting historic note is that until 1955 there was actually an elementary school (Nathan Hale School) located just to the north of the end of runway 4, actually on the EAST side of Central Avenue! And this was all during the post-WWII decade that saw Midway repeatedly crowned as "The World's Busiest Airport". And yet no DC-6 or Constellation ever plowed into Hale School. Pretty amazing.

Actually, a B737 lands at that speed most of the time....that is only 132 knots and with a 5 knot tailwind that means 128 knots.

WHERE the jet hit the ground at 132 knots groundspeed will tell the tale of whether this was a pilot issue or a runway surface/mechanical issue.

Boomer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CaptainBoomer,

Like others have said here, I feel you have hit the proverbial nail, square on the head !!

Meaning, The "FEDS" will look FIRST for a "HOT"/"LONG" landing.
Then EVERYTHING else will evolve from there !!!

MDW, the MDW airport manager (etc,etc,etc), are ALL part of "the SYSTEM" !!!!!!!!!

WN/AA/UAL/US etc, etc, etc, are ALL on the "other side of the ball" !!!!!!!!

If this WN "skipper" landed even a crummy 500 ft long, this could have major ramifications !!

I honestly, and sincerely HOPE it does'nt !!

No matter who or where the "icy" finger is pointed, the little boy cannot be brought back,
AND THAT is the ultimate TRAGEDY !!!

NH/BB's

No matter who or where the "icy" finger is pointed, the little boy cannot be brought back,
AND THAT is the ultimate TRAGEDY !!!

NH/BB's

Agreed. A terrible tragedy, no matter how the investigation pans out.

The boy, his family, the other injured motorists and the WN pilots are in my prayers.

Pointing fingers and making accusations at this point doesn’t do anybody any good. There are a lot of people close to this one who won’t be sleeping too well for some time.
Prayers for the family of the little boy.
Support to the crew of the plane.
Wisdom and insight to the investigators.
May this all ring out quickly.

MB

no class is when a company does demand its employees to rush rush go go go to make money and have no respect for the pax to get that plane on the ground so it can keep going
Wow, another bonehead comment!!! I guess you know first hand because you are employed by SWA??? Shut the **** up and stick to topics you know about.

is it true that a 737-700 needs about 4200 to 4500 to slow down and turn off of the runway when it is contaminated? i had heard that but always thought it took a lot longer than 4500.

Back