SWA asks unions to start looking at concessions

lineguy43

Veteran
Jun 21, 2007
Just as the title implies. So the company wants paycuts to help out as someone who went thru this with NWA in 1993 I say to you guys don't do it.. We had the IAM representing us in 1993 and the company was pleading poverty we voted NO so the IAM who was in the pocket of NWA kept bringing the contract back for a vote until it passed. Then how did they say thanks? The company execs gave themselves a huge bonus and laughing that they got us all to fall for their BS after we swallowed a paycut. If this was Herb's SWA it would be a different story. But how long did you AMT's go without a contract 7 years? Now you are enjoying that hard earned new pay rate and they want it back now? I would dig in in this one. If they threaten layoffs so be it do not give into paycuts I promise you they will not come back...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...onsidering-post-aid-concessions-idUSKBN21Z0DY

Just as the title implies. So the company wants paycuts to help out as someone who went thru this with NWA in 1993 I say to you guys don't do it.. We had the IAM representing us in 1993 and the company was pleading poverty we voted NO so the IAM who was in the pocket of NWA kept bringing the contract back for a vote until it passed. Then how did they say thanks? The company execs gave themselves a huge bonus and laughing that they got us all to fall for their BS after we swallowed a paycut. If this was Herb's SWA it would be a different story. But how long did you AMT's go without a contract 7 years? Now you are enjoying that hard earned new pay rate and they want it back now? I would dig in in this one. If they threaten layoffs so be it do not give into paycuts I promise you they will not come back...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...onsidering-post-aid-concessions-idUSKBN21Z0DY

Don't know if you follow AMFA's National website any more lineguy, but here is how AMFA responded as well as other unions...

AMFA’s Position on Southwest Airlines’ Request for Labor Concessions
April 14, 2020 -- Earlier today, AMFA representatives met, via web conference, with Southwest management, at the request of the company, and were presented with presentations entitled: “Proactively Identifying Savings Options.” These presentations focused on concessionary amendments to the existing collective bargaining agreements with AMFA to, as the company phrased it, “potentially implement on October 1, 2020.”
Read More

Looks like United is or will be doing the same thing. At least the same thoughts are being talked about there too. Smaller sized airlines in the future:

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bd2e527...lines-warns-of-job.html?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo

TWU has already said “Thanks but no thanks” but is open to voluntary early outs.

8DF39BA7-47A5-465C-82E8-52C33D11EC3C.png

Reactions: swamt
NEVER - EVER " GIVE BACK " a single penny that took many years and many contracts to get you where you guys are today !!
If WN needs " help ", award early-outs, OR Shrink the airline by furloughs, PERIOD !! The two most valuable things you'll EVER have in any union is your hourly wage, and occupational seniority.
It is NOT the responsibility of SENIOR guys to Worry if Junior guys get furloughed. Whether any union person wants to admit it, everyone KNOWS that " The Last one in the Door, is the FIRST One out the Door, during hard times !! EVERY Member gets to have 2 experiences in their Union life. They get to be the MOST Junior person, and, one day, they get to be the most Senior person.

NEVER - EVER, " GIVE BACK " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Repeat:

" N E V E R.........G I V E.........B A C K " !!
Bears, we get it, relax brother. Our top 3 unions have already told the company no to concessions. Mechanics F/A's as well as the Pilots have said no. As the Mechanics and F/A's responses have stated and I am sure the Pilots also agreed with, we will look at any kind of voluntary leave, along with any kind of Early Out packages the co. would offer for older folks to be able to go a head and retire a bit Early. Other than that the contracts are not open for nego's until the Amendable dates. At least in our case, yes, as you have mentioned it took nearly 7 years to get our contract done with knowing up front that the company wanted a 5 year pay freeze while the other airlines play "catch up". So they didn't even get serious about nego's until the last 1 1/2 years of nego's. We already helped out our company by doing our part in basically letting them save their money for the first 5 years. We did our part, the company should have saved more to better prepare for this rainy day. Instead they did do stock buy-backs, exec bonuses, and other compensations as well as non essential expenses.
And now since the co. has put out a request for concessions there are many folks who were gonna take the ETO leave packages being offered for the 3 months but are now throttling back and pulling out of it. The co. could have had way more folks taking the temp leaves but now they triggered something called basic survival tactics and continue working to stash away all the money they can for if/when it gets worse in Oct. Layoffs more than likely are coming to the airlines and people are now better preparing for themselves and their families. So, instead of taking the 25% pay to stay home, they will take full 100% pay and stash away as much as 75% of their pay for the months leading into Oct. in order to hord their cash for as long as possible if needed. SWA triggered this move with their request for concessions in the contracts come Oct 1, 2020. It's a no brainer for the newer guys and gals, stay on payroll and stash away savings in case it does get real rough at Southwest...