SWA traffic declines

SWA adds seats but does not find people to sit in them.....

The Load Factor decline continues at SWA. No wonder they want fare increases.

Actually...it looks like they found 3.7% more people to sit in the added seats; they just added more seats than that.

Last year's March load factor was an all-time record for WN; this year's was #4 out of the past 11 years (and 0.4% behind the second best March in 2004 at 73.7%). I'd be more concerned if the decline hadn't been from an all-time record month and if the month's numbers were below the long-term trend, which they are not.

March load factors from 1997 through 2007:
1997: 65.8%
1998: 68.0%
1999: 69.9%
2000: 72.9%
2001: 72.2%
2002: 70.2%
2003: 67.3%
2004: 73.6%
2005: 73.7%
2006: 75.5%
2007: 73.3%

Southwest Airlines March Traffic Rises Back

via Associated Press

Apr 4, 2007 9:25:00 AM

Southwest Airlines Co. on Wednesday said its passenger traffic in March rose 4.3 percent, as it boarded more customers and flew more miles.

Southwest Airlines monthly traffic increased to 6.08 billion revenue passenger miles from 5.83 billion revenue passenger miles during the same period last year. A revenue passenger mile is equal to one paying passenger flown one mile.

Capacity advanced 7.5 percent to 8.3 billion available seat miles from 7.72 billion available seat miles last year. Load factor, or occupancy, fell to 73.3 percent from 75.5 percent.

The airline said its enplaned passengers rose 3.5 percent in the period, while its average length of haul edged up 0.6 percent.

Year-to-date, Southwest Airlines traffic is up 5.4 percent to 16.11 billion revenue passenger miles, capacity is ahead 7.2 percent to 23.68 billion available seat miles, and load factor is down to 68 percent from 69.2 percent.

lets not forget that for every dollar any airline adds to average fares, there is a corresponding decline in demand. I'm not saying that WN didn;t need to rasie fares for more revenue to cover increasing costs, just pointing out the obvious...

Did mags happen to notice the differences in passenger revenues, operating revenues and operating expenses of LUV vs UAUA (nice symbol...if at first you don't succeed, try, try again)?

Did mags happen to notice the differences in passenger revenues, operating revenues and operating expenses of LUV vs UAUA (nice symbol...if at first you don't succeed, try, try again)?

Look here, his mind is made up. Don't try to confuse him with facts. The drop in load factor means SWA is in serious trouble and probably going out of business. The fact that SWA continues to make money hand over fist is of no consequence. As Edith Ann would say, "And that's the truth." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look here, his mind is made up. Don't try to confuse him with facts. The drop in load factor means SWA is in serious trouble and probably going out of business. The fact that SWA continues to make money hand over fist is of no consequence. As Edith Ann would say, "And that's the truth." :lol: :lol: :lol:

And he's still getting paid less than one of the brown 737 drivers. Let's not forget to mention it.

And he's still getting paid less than one of the brown 737 drivers. Let's not forget to mention it.

Have you ever spent a day in the cockpit of a 737? I would rather drive a truck for the rest of my career than spend another day in a 737.

As for you payrates you can thank UA and DL pilots for securing your rates for you. That is right. The ALPA pilots have always done the heavy lifting for your Baby S&^% Brown Herb T&^d drivers.

Also, since you want to "Not forget to metion" something. How about your airlines inability to comply with normal aircraft performance specs.

Have you ever spent a day in the cockpit of a 737? I would rather drive a truck for the rest of my career than spend another day in a 737.

As for you payrates you can thank UA and DL pilots for securing your rates for you. That is right. The ALPA pilots have always done the heavy lifting for your Baby S&^% Brown Herb T&^d drivers.

Also, since you want to "Not forget to metion" something. How about your airlines inability to comply with normal aircraft performance specs.

You just haven't figured this ailrine stuff out yet, have you? Your anger towards SWA has discredited any observations that you may make.

In the past 15+ years, at no time has my pay been based on UAL/DAL +/-%. Our pay rates have steadily increased while keeping the Company profitable and growing. If SWA does well, then I will too. If you don't like the 737, that is okay. I am happy and proud to fly Herb's corndog 73s.

You just haven't figured this ailrine stuff out yet,

I am happy and proud to fly Herb's corndog 73s.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the industry. I don't like SWA and the corny accents you guys try to use on the radio. Just glad to see the shine being taken off the apple with the LF numbers. Keep putting seats out there that are not filled and we will see how long your pay keeps going up.

Enjoy your TUL turns and I will enjoy Europe and Asia. I get paid to take 3 to 4 vacations a month to great cities around the globe. My contribution is I get to fly the airplane and drink all the free coffee I want.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the industry. I don't like SWA and the corny accents you guys try to use on the radio. Just glad to see the shine being taken off the apple with the LF numbers. Keep putting seats out there that are not filled and we will see how long your pay keeps going up.

Enjoy your TUL turns and I will enjoy Europe and Asia. I get paid to take 3 to 4 vacations a month to great cities around the globe. My contribution is I get to fly the airplane and drink all the free coffee I want.