SWA's New CEO Feb 1st 2022

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
It was announced yesterday that GK will pass the baton over to Bob Jordan in Feb 2022 for CEO.

GK not leaving, will remain onboard thru 2026.
Not sure how this will get received by some long tenure employees that may have been in line for said position. Who knows, it may have been part of the agreement to buy AT way back when and at that point promised to Jordan if he would agree to the purchase. This will get discussed over the next several months for sure...

There's a link within this article about the movement of CEO's.

Keep in mind that Bob Jordan is 60... I can't imagine he's going to stay in that seat very long.

I'm betting on at least 5 years. Unless he does a hit and run for approx 2 years just to collect the title of SWA CEO.

Nobody takes a job like that to "collect a title"... they do it because the board asks them to step in, and bringing in an outsider isn't Southwest's style.

It doesn't help that the job is pretty demanding mentally. You're the one responsible for tens of thousands of families... Jim Parker (Herb's replacement) only lasted 3 years. He publicly admitted he didn't have the energy anymore to do the job correctly, which is when Gary showed up. Gary was only 8 years younger at the time.

Kelly lasted 17 years, which is a long time for a CEO. It was also getting awfully close to Herb's tenure (20 years as the official CEO), and it wouldn't surprise me if not eclipsing Herb's length of service wasn't lurking in the back of peoples' minds.

Herb was a hard act to follow but Gary really has been a massive success
as our CEO. I'm sorry to see him step down. Hoping Bob Jordan will be
as good for Southwest. :)

Reactions: swamt
At least Bob has been here for at least 3 decades (I think). I also like the idea of GK sticking around for a smooth transition over to the new CEO, very smart and good bus decision. I hope Bob Jordan can have the same success as GK had while at the helm. Keep that stock $$$ climbing :)

Reactions: SharoninSAT