Teamwork For A Change

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Yesterday I witnessed a couple of good things happening....and I thought it would be a breath of fresh air to take a break from all the negativity around here and share with you all.....

My flight to FLL yesterday had an unusually high number of wheelchairs and assists. Not only did a couple of extra agents show up to help with boarding, but a senior manager chipped in as well, and assisted with the general boarding too...and there was no bickering, no ordering people around, just the great sight of people working together---AS IT SHOULD BE!!!! There was not an ounce of anger, resentment or anything else negative to be found. It was people realizing there was a job to be done, and DOING IT. I applaud those involved.

On the flight, an infirm elderly passenger had to use the rest room. Two flight attendants got the folding chair, assisted the companion to get the lady into the seat and to the forward lav, and waited patiently for the lengthy visit to end before assisting the lady back to her seat. I might add they didn't miss a beat with their normal duties either--although I did notice there were 4 FA on a 319 (the flight was going on to Kingston--do they add an FA for Intl?) Again, putting a customer first--way to go.

In light of all that's going wrong, I thought it would be nice to talk about something going right for a change...now if only this could spread.......

Listen up CCY---this is why we stay.

Great job, folks!!

My best to you all......

coachrowsey said:
Art:
That was great. Glad to hear that.. Thanks.
[post="262405"][/post]​

What's pathetic and sad is that something that should be a very routine action and goes on routinely at most other decent airlines is such a stand-out rarity at U that it gets lauded as some great accomplishment. Nice of you to mention but kinda sad too.

CFM -
Not a rarity. I think that was Art's point when he said, "this is why we stay." I've witnessed similar treatment on several occasions on UAIR flights. I've also seen F/As and customer service personnel do the bare minimum for elderly and special needs pax on some other carriers. This is something that's always stood out to me about UAIR....and, yes, this type of caring and professional attention for the pax who need is most is one of the reasons that we stay.

Cfm56 said:
What's pathetic and sad is that something that should be a very routine action and goes on routinely at most other decent airlines is such a stand-out rarity at U that it gets lauded as some great accomplishment.

SKY HIGH states: What Art witnessed was a group of Agents who work SHORT STAFFED.............(The terminal in FLL is packed now with the introduction of service to Latin America flights)...........The Agents LOOK OUT for each other and in turn, better serve the customer. Imagine that, they're GOOD at what they do!

Art at ISP said:
...senior manager chipped in as well...

Who? And how do you know?

I would respond that if it was a FLL supervisor or manager, chipping in on a full flight while understaffed would be EXPECTED.

But I would agree... This shows there is hope for a smaller US Airways to give good service.

Funguy,

It was at LGA, not FLL, and I know the person personally as well as the position he or she holds. I will not disclose who it was for obvious reasons.

It was a good thing to see, however--TEAMWORK for a change......

Let's hope it becomes contageous....

Working Together

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - Flight 1121 to Orlando left Charlotte on-time Tuesday morning - in fact, it left a minute early. But that statistic tells only part of the story.

Fifty-five minutes before the scheduled 7:45 a.m., departure, gate agents working the flight learned that because of a mechanical problem, the equipment was going to be downsized to an Airbus A319 from a Boeing 757.

Rushing to meet the schedule, agents and supervisors reaccommodated all of our customers and also handled 20 oversales. The team included Customer Service Agents Sandy Broyhill, Harry Metaxatos and Donna Mclendon; Customer Service Supervisor John Cipolloni; and Shift Manager Shellie Rice.

“This provides a wonderful example of how, working together, we can overcome all kinds of barriers to improve our on-time performance,â€￾ said Terri Pope, Charlotte’s managing director of Customer Service.

Regards,

USA320Pilot