Employee Boarding Question

Travels2mch

Veteran
Dec 20, 2005
PIT
Visit site
I saw something yesterday for the first time....was standing in line when they started boarding (I was zone 1). GA calls for special assistance.....6 US in flight employees, not working, in uniform ran to the front of the line (one FA laughed as she said "I need special assistance today"). GA tells them they can't board yet, but starts ripping their BP's. One captain called for the others to hurry up and come up with their BP's. She calls zone 1 and they all rush to the plane.

My question is....since when do non working employees board before customers? And they cut in front of 5 of us to get to the front. Also, do they get zones on their BP's?

Employee boarding passes have zones listed on them. It is possible for them to have zone 1. If they are flying in First class for instance.

I saw something yesterday for the first time....was standing in line when they started boarding (I was zone 1). GA calls for special assistance.....6 US in flight employees, not working, in uniform ran to the front of the line (one FA laughed as she said "I need special assistance today"). GA tells them they can't board yet, but starts ripping their BP's. One captain called for the others to hurry up and come up with their BP's. She calls zone 1 and they all rush to the plane.

My question is....since when do non working employees board before customers? And they cut in front of 5 of us to get to the front. Also, do they get zones on their BP's?
Deadheading and must ride employees can always board at anytime they want. They dont have to follow the zones boarding procedures like regular passengers...they are working ...not on vacation. This happens everyday...you must not fly much.

Sounds like they were working and deadheading to catch another flight. Most likely after working a 13-14 hour day. I have worked flights where the deadhead crew comes on at the last minute with no bag space and it just causes a big delay since they can't be seperated from manuals or flight bags.
Did you get on? Whats the big whoop, didn't get on first?

They would have had zone #'s on their BP's - which depending on what coach seats they were assigned.

That said, I'm surprised they didn't board earlier. It sounds like they were deadheading, possibly an entire crew. DH crews usually (99% of the time) board well before the GA calls for passenger boarding.

Jim

I hear some airlines even let their working crews board ahead of passengers. Outrageously rude.

There could more more than one explanation but it was probably a deadheading crew.

Also, just because most uniformed employees have already had or will have a full day in the public eye, many gate agents will extend the courtesy of allowing crewmembers board in advance of the passengers just so they can be removed from the noisy, chaotic terminal environment.

Sorry you feel you were "jumped" in line, but after all the USAirways East employees have been through for the last few years, looking out for fellow employees is essential.

Maybe you do travel too much and need to take a break if you let something like this ruffle your feathers. Take a break for your own well being.

OMG, you should have punched them like the one guy said he was going to do to airport employees who go to the front of the security line. :rolleyes:

Deadheaders usually board even before anyone else. Being that they are crew themselves, there doesnt need to be a full crew complement on board while they are. This is actually a convienience to the customer- there might be 30 crew members moved on a PHL CLT, it helps to have them onboard and stowed already.

Jumpseating flight deck and cabin crew may not be in uniform and will go down before customers. Before some bored Eagle Eye causes a panic about that, this is neccesary for the jumpseater to speak with the crew and ask them if they can take a jumpseat.

You may even see a non-revving crew member allowed to go down first that is just going to or from work. They often volunteer to help board so another crewmember can run off and feed themselves, or help tidy so the plane can be turned around in time. They can also get off the plane for things like duplicate seat assignments, problems with catering, that working the minimum crew is not permitted to. In other words, its actually a big help at an airline that understaffs.

The gate agent can't really tell a working crewmember when to board. Deadheading is working. Non-revving a different story. How any customer (or employee) aside from the gate agent and employee themselves would know if someone is working, an extra, an IRO, deadheading, a LO/DO, jumpseating, non-revving, check riding I have no idea. It's realy not thier concern.

God forbid, crewmembers on a plane.

Deadheading and must ride employees can always board at anytime they want. They dont have to follow the zones boarding procedures like regular passengers...they are working ...not on vacation. This happens everyday...you must not fly much.
Actually I do fly much, but don't usually see the crews rushing the front of the line...I have seen them board before any boarding is called,or at the end.....but not trying to beat the wheelchairs (as the GA did deny them till the 2 wheelchairs were on).

Anyway...it was just a question....I assumed they were working or just finishing and going home as it was evening and they were in uniform.

Thanks for the explanation.

They would have had zone #'s on their BP's - which depending on what coach seats they were assigned.

That said, I'm surprised they didn't board earlier. It sounds like they were deadheading, possibly an entire crew. DH crews usually (99% of the time) board well before the GA calls for passenger boarding.

Jim
And that's what I've seen too.....board before they call for passenger boarding....thanks Jim...I knew I could count on you for a good answer :)

Sorry you feel you were "jumped" in line, but after all the USAirways East employees have been through for the last few years, looking out for fellow employees is essential.

Maybe you do travel too much and need to take a break if you let something like this ruffle your feathers. Take a break for your own well being.
I wasn't bothered by it, just not used to seeing it. Didn't bother me at all (they did get some snide looks from the wheelchairs though). :)

You may even see a non-revving crew member allowed to go down first that is just going to or from work. They often volunteer to help board so another crewmember can run off and feed themselves, or help tidy so the plane can be turned around in time. They can also get off the plane for things like duplicate seat assignments, problems with catering, that working the minimum crew is not permitted to. In other words, its actually a big help at an airline that understaffs.
Actually I saw this last week and was very impressed. Two non revs boarded....there was a seat mix up, one of them got up, got the BP's and took them off the plane to the GA and got it resolved, then came back and took her center seat for the flight. Another non rev got up and started helping with the beverage service from the last row till he met up with the others. That was very nice to see.