Obese woman in DASH-8 exit row

Going back on the weight issue. No airline that I know keeps obese women/men out of the exit row. However there are some airlines that have a policy that a belt extension may not be used in the exit row.

These airlnes state that if you use a seat belt extension, it may slow the egress of passengers by triping or getting there foot caught in the exit row during an evactuation.

However... Over on the west: on the obese issue... In recurrent.. If you can't fit into the jumpseat without a extension... ITS SUPension for YOU :shock: :shock: :shock: Untill you can get your weight into check.... SO SUCK IT IN.... :ph34r: I've seen FA's that learn how to suck it in very well..... :)
And I am not calling anyone obese..... So please dont jump on me. I have freinds that must do this every recurrent and I LUV :D them to death. :) :p

Its better just to let them sit there or you risk the chance of the obese customer turning around and claiming your being discrimatory. We ALL know with ADA issues we are guilty until proven innocent !

Define Obese. You racist, homophobic, judgemental, intolerant, chauvenistic, anti-semetic, predjudiced, obesophobic (I made that one up), pig.

How dare you state the obvious and use common sense. How dare you hurt the feelings of someone and who are you to judge who is or is not obese.

Man, this is America. DO NOT give your opinion on ANY subject if there is even a remote chance you might offend someone. Anyone.

You in a heepa trouble Heinrich. You better start apologizing to someone.

pilot
I know I'm waiting on the apology, where is it. You are rude, I hope you do not work in any of our resv centers!!! I am tired of having people complain about obese people, for some obese is a size 12. Get use to it Heinrich we are here to stay. I am a large woman and when I fly I get the same looks from people when I walk down the row, but the funny thing is I fit in the seat and I'm always the one with rude people like you that think they can elbow me even though I fit and I am the one who has to suffer with bruises from people like you

I know what it's like, CSD. I fit into that category a very long time ago. And yes, quite frankly it sucks.

Having said that, I know what it's like to fly with a person of size and how uncomfortable it can be for them, besides the physical part of fitting in the seat.

I believe Heinrich's post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, so try not to take it so hard. I think most of us are considerate when it comes to obesity. Your size doesn't define your personality.

As to the safety issue...well, that is a difficult subject, and should be addressed by whomever handles in-flight safety as delicately as possible. If the passenger can handle the job, then I think it's a moot point.

Sometimes it is a matter of a person that states that they can handle the job only to get into a more comfortable seat for themselves. Never mind safty, 'thats someone elses problem'.

I had a flight attendant on a Chautauqua ERJ who had to move sideways up the aisle. She had problems doing the drink service. You couldn't even see the jumpseat when she sat on it. Additionally her shirt had the worst button gap I've ever seen. If the front exits weren't usable, I'm not sure she could get back to the overwings with much ease. There has to be a point where mobility in the small confines of an airplane must be a consideration.

First you need management to back you up. Management will take the passengers side if the government or media or upper management is treated.

Weight has nothing to do with the ability to open a window exit. I'll take an over-weight pax, f/a, pilot, whatever over the sanctimonious views of some of the previous posters any day. That extra weight might just have the strength to get the exit out of the way or cushion the fall of those brain starved anorexics. I know, go back to under 30, not married, no mothers (or God forbid fathers), gays, African Americans, or anyone that doesn't fit the myth of the before women's rights "stewardess". ps I was PanAm, then TWA, so I was the "myth". Having been in the training dept. for several years, you would be very surprised what will fit through a window exit. Add the adrenalin of an evacuation and I don't think you have much to worry about.

Weight has nothing to do with the ability to open a window exit. I'll take an over-weight pax, f/a, pilot, whatever over the sanctimonious views of some of the previous posters any day. That extra weight might just have the strength to get the exit out of the way or cushion the fall of those brain starved anorexics. I know, go back to under 30, not married, no mothers (or God forbid fathers), gays, African Americans, or anyone that doesn't fit the myth of the before women's rights "stewardess". ps I was PanAm, then TWA, so I was the "myth". Having been in the training dept. for several years, you would be very surprised what will fit through a window exit. Add the adrenalin of an evacuation and I don't think you have much to worry about.

You know, I have never seen an exit door OPEN. But this woman would have a hard time fitting through the back of the seat in row 3 and the armrests, could her buttocks fit through the exit row gap or would her buttocks trap other PAX on the plane in an emergency?

If a passenger does not appear to be able to operate and exit the window, whether it is due to size, age, language, or disability, they will be removed from the exit row. This is usually done before the 1L is closed. This is not about discrimination, and is a part of the inflight crew's duties.

You know, I have never seen an exit door OPEN. But this woman would have a hard time fitting through the back of the seat in row 3 and the armrests, could her buttocks fit through the exit row gap or would her buttocks trap other PAX on the plane in an emergency?

Not to worry..by the time the other pax have tried to grab their precious carryon, she would be long gone. As for "over weight" f/as. I would be more concerned about their customer service than their weight. The purchase of a ticket does not allow one to dictate what the crew looks like. I remember a pilot chastising a f/a who was pregnant and flying. Her comment back to him was, "Pregnancy was what my body was designed for and this is a temporary state. What's your excuse?" And as for the comment about going down the aisles sideways...I have permanent bruises from the elbows, feet, and bags shoved into various body parts during 35 years of liq and meal services. My husband was always afraid someone would think he was beating me...