Technology

OK, if you say so.
IMHO, this is a pretty rare case.
There are a lot of jobs that can not be automated, like a TV repairman.
TV's have pretty much become disposable. I would advise someone to get into heating and cooling. They might be able to automate the hell out of HVAC systems, but when it breaks - people have to have them repaired. And the tend to break on either the hottest or coldest day of they year, on a Sunday when it costs top dollar to get someone out there.

TV's have pretty much become disposable. I would advise someone to get into heating and cooling. They might be able to automate the hell out of HVAC systems, but when it breaks - people have to have them repaired. And the tend to break on either the hottest or coldest day of they year, on a Sunday when it costs top dollar to get someone out there.

Hey flyer,
I was being ironic.
I was a part time TV repairman in high school.
IMHO, pretty much everything is a 'throw away' item today, yes even HVAC.
When was the last time you called one?
I was one. Why call someone that can't even read a schematic?

OK, if you say so.
I do indeed.

Let me ask you this, do you think manufacturers could keep up with demand without automation?

Do you think that automation increases the quality of products?

Take automotive manufacturing for instance. The robot that does the welding, can you imagine how time consuming it would be for a human to do. How about a welder getting fatigued over time? Don't you think his welds would eventually suffer? That robot can weld the same high quality weld every time.

How about painting the car. A robot can paint a lot faster and higher quality than a person. Not to mention it saves a human painter from those fumes. If people had to paint those new cars by hand there is no way they could keep up with the demand.

Since we are talking about technology I have something to contribute.

I recently bought a 4th generation Apple TV.
featured-content-remote1-icon_2x.png

and a ROKU 1
61PZ1mbYWSL._SX522_.jpg

APPLE TV
FEATURES:
Apple TV has a neat feature that allows you to use voice to search for movies and shows. What is really nice about this feature is it will show you the services that have the media. If you were thinking about renting through Apple but it is free on Netflix or Hulu it will show up as an option. I find it easy to scan for parts of a movie using the touch pad. I find media loads fast. Apple TV also supports games.

REMOTE:
I hate the remote. Some may like the small slim size of it but for me I found it to be problematic. I have had it slip off the arm of my recliner and slide between the side and the seat cushion for instance. It also randomly fails to turn my TV on/off. Another complaint I have is the remote is rechargeable however, you can't simply change out batteries when they get low. The batteries do last a LONG time between charges however.

SERVICES:
Apple has a good selection of services. However if you use Amazon or VUDU frequently look elsewhere.

ROKU 1
FEATURES:
The best "feature" I can think of is this unit can use HDMI and composite cables so it is usable with older televisions. I find scanning for parts of the show just as easy but less precise on a ROKU 1. ROKU 1 also loads media slower.

REMOTE:
My main complaint about the remote is it lacks volume controls. Other than that it feels nice and works well. When you make a selection on ROKU the TV makes a sound confirming your selection. That is a nice touch.

SERVICES:
ROKU 1 also has a good selection of services. Including Amazon and VUDU.

I will say overall (though the review may not reflect it) I much prefer the ROKU over the Apple TV. I just find it much more user friendly. I would also remind the reader ROKU 1 is a 1st generation device vs. Apple's 4th generation device, so the Apple device had an edge on load times. I am sure newer ROKU units load much faster and are more responsive.

Last edited: