Tempe forgets that there is no USAirways without YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
A further reminder here--you may discuss the ISSUE all you want, but you may not attack insult or comment on the POSTERS. We have already discussed the issue of the weight comment, do NOT go attacking the poster or YOU will get the suspension. I just deleted a post which attacked another poster.

The disparity between fares on the web and those available to front line staff can be very great indeed. I know some US folks who, after seeing a customer's sticker shock, (nicely) suggest that customer check on line for lower fares and to save the USD 35 airport fee.

Simply stated, US does not want people to buy their tickets at the airport. Reminds me of Bank of America back in the 80's charging non BofA customers to cash BofA checks. They actually said "we want people to stop thinking of banks as a place to cash checks.

Same thing as getting a rent a car these days. In some markets it's as low as 9.95 a day ( if you don't sign up for all those BS fees)

I agree the weight comment was uncalled for. That said, the underlying issue is still valid in my opinion.

If the website was offering a one way F ticket for $148, why is the agent unable to pull up the same fare? Plus, why would he be so snarky in his response? It APPEARS that the customer in this case was just stating that he had received information differing from what the agent was telling him.

The big issue here is the agent's unwillingness to even look into the matter, and to dismiss the customer .. which for a company which appears to be burning the furniture to pick up every dollar just doesn't make sense.

Of course, I don't know if the customer was snarky with the agent first, but knowing the OP as I do, I highly doubt it.

Just my 2 cents....
SNARKY? Why would this even enter your mind. The customer explained the interaction. But even if he was "snarky" the agent had a moral obligation to offer the BEST fare. To me it sounds like the agent was the snarky one when he replied, "then go buy it" Refering to the lower fare online. Said agent should be happy for his face to face interactions (thus his job security). Maybe the reason he mentioned the weight issue is because people do perceive grossly overweight people as lazy. And in this customers mind since the agent refused to look further or try to assist him in any way her perceived him this way (right or wrong). This folkes is human nature.

This agents customer service skills are obviously lacking. Nothing new here. Too bad for U.

The problem with your "please lighten up" request is that you may well have already identified the person with the various facts and bodily description that you already provided:

1. Grossly overweight
2. Works at the ticket counter
3. WN apparently serves that same city pair
4. Internet full price fare is (was) $148.00
5. Had to be a US city that had a non-RJ flying
6. It was a station and not a hub.

Based on the cities that WN also serves that go into PHL nonstop and the $148.00 Internet fare I offer up as suspect #1 Providence, RI. Also, don't you think that US Airways monitors this site and also probably knows who US1YFARE's real name is and can check their data base for 3/25/10 and 3/24/10 and see if there is a match.on let's say Flight 1403?

Mentioning the size of the person, the fare and WN narrowed the possibilities. I may not have the correct city, but you did provide sufficient information before you decided to clam up.
Comment deleted by moderator. The overweight issue is DONE. Next one gets time off.

But even if he was "snarky" the agent had a moral obligation to offer the BEST fare.

If the fare is not in the computer the agent can't charge it. Hasn't US Airways, and also other airlines, publicly stated that Internet fares are different than fares available through either reservations or at the airport?

I don't know the agent, nor do I know what the computer was presenting that agent as a fare at that point in time. I do know what the OP has said he/she was told. You seem to leave out the possibility that the agent quoted the full FC fare correctly and also that the agent complied with company policy by quoting and intending to charge whatever price was on the agent's computer at the time of the quote.

I can tell you from first hand experience (and yes its been reported to the QIK team to pass on to whatever department they want to), that the computer doesnt always give you the fare you want (ie cheapest). I've had numerous times when there are a few seats left and you book it and ask it to price cheapest and it gives you the Y fare. At this point in time, the agent has three options. 1) Book in the cheapest class available and price and hope that it prices out. If not, change booking code to next highest and on up until you hit one that the computer likes and prices. or 2) pull up the pricing entry and look for the lowest class of service that doesnt have an advance purchase and book it (hoping that the fare isnt a time or day or date specific fare). If it prices, great and if not, pull up the pricing entry again and see what the next lowest class of service is without an advance purchase and do it all over again. 3) Tell the customer the fare the know it all computer gives us and take it or leave it.
Its a good possibility that this is what could have occured. I've seen it happen. If the agent isnt aware that this is the long drawn out procedure required when this happens and thinks the computer is always going to price right, then the outcome is the customer will walk away (which I've also seen happen Tempe!!!) The issue has been reported at least twice by me and I havent heard a response back on what is being done to correct it.
I've also advised the customer many times that they can get better fares on the computer when they say they checked online and then still came out to the airport to buy their ticket (and they werent paying cash????). If someone mentions computer fares, I also advise them they wont have to pay the ticket fee. Sometimes they leave to book online and sometimes they say just do it. We're supposed to advise of the cheapest fare so we cant get into trouble by advising the customer its cheaper on the internet. You just have to watch how you advise them though.
It also irks me that its easier for anyone to pull up US.com on the computer and price flights quicker than it is for me to use what the company gives me on QIK to use to get a fare. That is one reason many agents at the counter tell people to call rez about booking tickets or checking the internet. The tools we're given to check for shoppers flights is really outdated and time consuming. When you see a shopper and have 10 people in line behind them trying to catch a flight right now today, many agents arent going to think about the $$$$$ potentially walking away from the counter. All the agent sees is they are the only one at ticketing and have to get these other peoples "today" problem corrected in order to get them on the plane.
Another way Tempe doesnt realize that their "cheap" computer system is also potentially a money loser for the airline.

Maybe each ticket counter can have a regular PC with regular web access, so an agent can assist a customer fairly and squarely at the point of sale? I'm sure US can figure out a way to collect the $35 ticketing fee for a service like this.

Maybe each ticket counter can have a regular PC with regular web access, so an agent can assist a customer fairly and squarely at the point of sale? I'm sure US can figure out a way to collect the $35 ticketing fee for a service like this.

US, unlike, say B6, does not like its front line staff have web access. Even the chosen few who have it are not to use it at the counter, only in back offices. As I stated previously, many US agents nicely suggest that the customer go on line to buy the ticket. And in you scenario, the customer who still be seeing a ticket agent to buy said ticket. Not something Tempe wants.

US, unlike, say B6, does not like its front line staff have web access. Even the chosen few who have it are not to use it at the counter, only in back offices. As I stated previously, many US agents nicely suggest that the customer go on line to buy the ticket. And in you scenario, the customer who still be seeing a ticket agent to buy said ticket. Not something Tempe wants.

"The only reason for Management not to trust their employees is because they themselves are not worthy of Trust" - Pop-Pop Sparrowhawk

I always knew the old fart was right! Now I have US Airways prove it daily. :p Once you're able to wrap you arms around the fact that the only part of the Customer that figures into their Business Model is the persons wallet then things get easier.

In the post 9/11 world you need world class IT in order to keep costs low, yet at EVERY turn we see examples of how US Airyways IT creates exactly the opposite scenario and the real problem is the mistakes caused by sloppy IT performance don't come out of the IT budget, instead Opps and Customer Relations among others take the hit for crap IT.

Want INSTANT improvement in IT pergormance? Take the compensation costs for bad IT like reaccomodation, ticketing issues, customer Relations cost for IT issues out of the IT budget and watch the things change

It’s almost like HP wants to tie your hands on certain situations. One being. Creative ticketing. What ever happen to WPNC Sabre entry for
Will you price nice and cheap
Great entry

A major problem that US IT has (along with most other large companies) is the lack of the systems analyst. We now have the title but programming has been added and/or testing added and/or system architecture added. One of the functions of the analyst is to see/talk/study how the job is being done and get into the employees minds and see it through their eyes, not the analysts eyes. A group of Customer Service Systems Analyst within the Customer Service Group exist but its the title not the job. They write policy and procedures and provide the customer service department input to improving existing systems or designing new systems. They have come from the field for the most part (not all) but have no formal training in analysis or design. The IT side is oriented towards programming. It has always amazed me when something is missed or doesn't work as expected and Tempe just assumes that is the way it is suppose to go.

The old adage is still true... GIGO....garbage in, garbage out. Before the new QIK was turned on system wide, several of the 'analyst' were speaking so proudly of having run over 16,000 test scripts on it. As a comparison, over 100,000 scripts (actually many more, the 100,000 was without error) were run on SABRE before it was turned on at US Air and that was with an existing system, not a new version.

Tempe should be demanding excellence and good design from IT, not the continuation of its lackluster, below average job being done now. US can't be a great (or even good) company without the best, state of the art, computer resources available to the front line who serve the customer.

The old adage is still true... GIGO....garbage in, garbage out. Before the new QIK was turned on system wide, several of the 'analyst' were speaking so proudly of having run over 16,000 test scripts on it. As a comparison, over 100,000 scripts (actually many more, the 100,000 was without error) were run on SABRE before it was turned on at US Air and that was with an existing system, not a new version.

Tempe should be demanding excellence and good design from IT, not the continuation of its lackluster, below average job being done now. US can't be a great (or even good) company without the best, state of the art, computer resources available to the front line who serve the customer.

[applause] Great post. How much Beta testing do you think Tempe does with anything they roll out?

I mught be nixing the Kiosk thread up with this one, but someone mentioned US running "16,000 scripts without error" while old US ran over 100,000 with out error prior to flipping the switch.

Now IIRC US Airways carries around 100,000 per day so in theory each "script" would represent one customer. If this is accurate it means that the new US tested the equivelent of arout 2 hours of customer transactions.

NOT Impressive

I always knew the old fart was right! Now I have US Airways prove it daily. :p Once you're able to wrap you arms around the fact that the only part of the Customer that figures into their Business Model is the persons wallet then things get easier.
What is this place, the Krusty Krab?

Status
Not open for further replies.