Tempe forgets that there is no USAirways without YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
So I needed to get home quickly and wanted to get status miles on CO.

US1YFARE:I want to purchase a FC ticket to Philadelphia.

Grossly Overweight Airport Ticket Agent (hereinafter GOAT agent): Upgrade?

US1YFARE: No, I'd like to purchase a FC ticket.

GOAT Agent: $683 plus a $35 ticketing fee.

US1YFARE: But your website sells it for $148.

GOAT Agent: Then go buy it there. My computer says $683. Walk-up tickets are expensive.

Why would the USAirways website show such a huge price differential from the airport's pricing? So, I had to go on my blackberry and book the ticket and they lost out on the ticketing fee. I was tempted to just fly WN, but I wanted my status miles and the US flight was earlier.

Reactions: 1 person
I can understand your ticketing issue but to insult the agent because of their size is not right, how do you know if the agent has a medical condition causing the weight problem?

And you loss all credibility when you insult and name call the agent in your post.

I can understand your ticketing issue but to insult the agent because of their size is not right, how do you know if the agent has a medical condition causing the weight problem?

Absolutely. My doctor in Houston did extensive research on weight control and obesity. He found that over 90% of overweight people suffer from the same glandular problem--an overactive elbow. :lol:

I agree the weight comment was uncalled for. That said, the underlying issue is still valid in my opinion.

If the website was offering a one way F ticket for $148, why is the agent unable to pull up the same fare? Plus, why would he be so snarky in his response? It APPEARS that the customer in this case was just stating that he had received information differing from what the agent was telling him.

The big issue here is the agent's unwillingness to even look into the matter, and to dismiss the customer .. which for a company which appears to be burning the furniture to pick up every dollar just doesn't make sense.

Of course, I don't know if the customer was snarky with the agent first, but knowing the OP as I do, I highly doubt it.

Just my 2 cents....

So I needed to get home quickly and wanted to get status miles on CO.

US1YFARE:I want to purchase a FC ticket to Philadelphia.

Grossly Overweight Airport Ticket Agent (hereinafter GOAT agent): Upgrade?

US1YFARE: No, I'd like to purchase a FC ticket.

GOAT Agent: $683 plus a $35 ticketing fee.

US1YFARE: But your website sells it for $148.

GOAT Agent: Then go buy it there. My computer says $683. Walk-up tickets are expensive.

Why would the USAirways website show such a huge price differential from the airport's pricing? So, I had to go on my blackberry and book the ticket and they lost out on the ticketing fee. I was tempted to just fly WN, but I wanted my status miles and the US flight was earlier.

Let's overlook the OP's unfortunate reference to the agent being a PoS (Person of Size) as it really has no bearing on the events as related.

Frankly her comment "Then go buy it there" is at best inappropriate and unprefessional. If she worked for Sparrohawk Airways and as CEO of Sparrowhawk she would be gone from the premises before her shift ended CWA be damned.

Now this was PAID Domestic First Class and if you have a customer who is willing to pay for domestic FC then that agent best be polite, courteous and professional at minimum.

She could be 103lbs or 301lbs it doesn't change a thing. Rude is Rude at any weight

I agree the weight comment was uncalled for. That said, the underlying issue is still valid in my opinion.

If the website was offering a one way F ticket for $148, why is the agent unable to pull up the same fare? Plus, why would he be so snarky in his response? It APPEARS that the customer in this case was just stating that he had received information differing from what the agent was telling him.

The big issue here is the agent's unwillingness to even look into the matter, and to dismiss the customer .. which for a company which appears to be burning the furniture to pick up every dollar just doesn't make sense.

Of course, I don't know if the customer was snarky with the agent first, but knowing the OP as I do, I highly doubt it.

Just my 2 cents....

Could this be yet another IT Computer Glich?
I dont think I have ever seen a One Way F/C fare as low as $148.00 in any market.
Curious as to the city pairs involved here?

The disparity between fares on the web and those available to front line staff can be very great indeed. I know some US folks who, after seeing a customer's sticker shock, (nicely) suggest that customer check on line for lower fares and to save the USD 35 airport fee.

Simply stated, US does not want people to buy their tickets at the airport. Reminds me of Bank of America back in the 80's charging non BofA customers to cash BofA checks. They actually said "we want people to stop thinking of banks as a place to cash checks.

US Airways has not "begun with U" since the merger. :p I think this agent could use a bit more training on how to "make US fly."

While the agent's behavior was inexcusable, the underlying problem is that US is trying to hose customers who purchase at the ticket counter. Isn't that what the $35 airport ticketing fee is for???

At the end of the day, it's all about customer service-or in this case lack thereof. This is a textbook example of how employee morale plays into how customers are treated.

At best the agent needs to be retrained.

I have seen some F fares at ridiculously low prices of late, however, there just should not be such disparity between what an agent does and what a customer finds on the web. One needs to consider that in this day and age there are some people who either DON'T HAVE computers or don't like using them STILL.....so I guess it's okay to let those customers just go elsewhere???

Again, stepping over dollars to pick up nickels......

The disparity between fares on the web and those available to front line staff can very great indeed. I know some US folks who, after seeing a customer's sticker shock, (nicely) suggest that customer check on line for lower fares and to save the USD 35 airport fee.

Simply stated, US does not want people to buy their tickets at the airport. Reminds me of Bank of America back in the 80's charging non BofA customers to cash BofA checks. They actually said "we want people to stop thinking of banks as a place to cash checks.

This is the fundamental problem of the current MBA dominated management teams at a great many large companies. US Airways frankly IMO is not as bad as most of us think when compared to banks, rental car and cable companies. That is not to say that they are top perfomers.

In MBA-speak, customer service is “outside the value stream.” In other words, it’s an expense that only drains the bottom line without contributing to profitability. So obviously it’s among the first things to be downsized, outsourced, or possibly eliminated when a CEO seeks to “unlock shareholder value.”If you ever get the impression that an airline justs wants your money, you're right. To them polite and professional service is not something that can be quantified so therefore is of no consequence.

If you want Polite Professional Customer Service from an airline you'll have to wait until it can be proven on a spreadsheet that Good Customer Service is cheaper than treating customers poorly

USY-

What was the agent's race? That's very important. Also, tell us if they were heterosexual or not, because that too has a direct bearing on their performance as an agent. C'mon, if you're going to expose your bigotry towards someone based on one characteristic, why not go all the way?

If they gave you what you wanted, then of course they'd just be another friendly agent. Are you in the habit of always getting what you want and the world agreeing with you? When it doesn't , do you know how to handle it properly?

Grossly Overweight Airport Ticket Agent (hereinafter GOAT agent)
The usual disparaging remarks.

I wonder what they thought of you?

I can make a guess.

What I don't understand is why a savvy FF would do a walk up fare vs. using the internet to buy a substantially less fare anyway. Why wait in line to meet the "G.O.A.T.".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts