Texas cuts

I'm fully aware that it's M&E's policy, not a union requirement. How often do you really go to a supervisor for their opinion on fixing a bird, though? Isn't that what the tech crew chief is for?

Yes, that's what tech crew chiefs, crew chiefs and mechanics are for... but but most supervisors refuse to accept the advice but instead we get accused of just wanting to "kill" aircraft... That's the culture of not being experienced when they take those management positions.

The other night, one of our 767-300 landed and it was reported that the left main landing gear was on fire as he was taxiing to the gate.. the Port Authority followed him to the gate with all emergency vehicles in tow..the supervisor, er i mean, manager, said that he thought the plane would be good to fly because the fire was out.

that plane is still in the hangar awaiting a possible bogey change and working with engineering...

the tech crew chief out there along with the crew chief and mechanic all concurred that the aircraft was non-airworthy...

Yes, that's what tech crew chiefs, crew chiefs and mechanics are for... but but most supervisors refuse to accept the advice but instead we get accused of just wanting to "kill" aircraft... That's the culture of not being experienced when they take those management positions.

The other night, one of our 767-300 landed and it was reported that the left main landing gear was on fire as he was taxiing to the gate.. the Port Authority followed him to the gate with all emergency vehicles in tow..the supervisor, er i mean, manager, said that he thought the plane would be good to fly because the fire was out.

that plane is still in the hangar awaiting a possible bogey change and working with engineering...

the tech crew chief out there along with the crew chief and mechanic all concurred that the aircraft was non-airworthy...
<_< ------ You know, I don't think I'd want that job! At least with TWA, the Supervisors had the option of going back into the ranks. Their Seniority was adjusted back to the day they became Management. I'm working with mechanics, and damn good ones, that were exTWA management. With AA, they don't have that option. It's perform, or go on down the road.-------- No! I don't think I'd like that!

Maybe you'd be better off if the supv's -did'nt- have signature authority... Then they couldn't even pretend to try to overrule AMT's.. .

I'm fully aware that it's M&E's policy, not a union requirement. How often do you really go to a supervisor for their opinion on fixing a bird, though? Isn't that what the tech crew chief is for?

It depends on the supervisor I guess, some are excellent mechanics but they do have more input than you seem to realize.

Tech Crew Chiefs replaced Tech Foreman, which were management and many of them were excellent but the company had a hard time filling the spots because most of the best mechanics didnt have any desire to become management-they liked troubleshooting.

I'll never agree that it's safer to be supervised by a newly minted A&P who has never worked on an airplane with more than three tires, vs. someone who spent 20 years around aircraft.

I guess thats why its a good policy.

By your definition, it's better to have scabs like PTO be your supervisor.

Just because he is a scab it doesnt mean that he doesnt know how his responsibilities as an A&P. So if its a choice between PTO and you, no offense, but I'd have to say that PTO would probably be more qualified than you to run a maintenance operation.

Keep the requirement in place, and that's what you'll continue to wind up with...

We have some good managers(they dont call them supervisors anymore) and some that are not so good, just like any other group. They would probably get better if they made the job more attractive, I'm against the arguement of lowering standards just to fill vacancies-offer more and you will get more.

BTW, Flight regularly hires managers who aren't pilots, mainly due to the fact that a fourth year pilot earns more than the average Level 5 manager does, and they take a pay cut going into management...

So the Chief Pilot is not a pilot? Pilots pretty much work unsupervised most of the managers that you are talking about are probably really clerical workers that monitor sick time and set up crews on flights, I doubt they are the ones on the other end of the line telling a pilot that should take that plane with some major MEL that leaves it up to the pilot whether or not he should take it and I doubt that in an in flight emergency the pilots would be talking to them.

Maybe you'd be better off if the supv's -did'nt- have signature authority... Then they couldn't even pretend to try to overrule AMT's.. .
That doesnt happen very often, usually if the mechanic wont sign his reason is valid and if the FAA investigated the incident the supervisor could end up in hot water. Usually they just try to pressure the mechanic into signing.

Latest posts

Back