Thanks for holding.... - Remarks of a CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAirUnited

Advanced
Dec 17, 2002
[DIV]Orlando is closed now, we had 100+ calls on hold prior to their demise now its going to just get worse. At a feeble attempt to get a grip on hold times and call handle times the company processed call backs on about 75 folks who were on furlough for just over 30 days. It has even gotten so bad that at times we have our very own CEO Dave on the VRU expressing his apology for the long hold. [BR]In another attempt by management to service more calls they have Overtime all day every day. Overtime was not designed for that use, and when it is used like this it is cost effective. [BR]Why don''t they just call more folks back. How insane. [/DIV]

Well what else would you expect....Its more of Airways 101 course of airline advanced management. They shut down MX bases to save costs, then let aircraft sit on the ramps for days if not weeks waiting on a space to work on them. Then pay $$$$$$ for OT for manpower to complete the work due to lay-offs...and on and on...I remember when old "Clod Head", told the Charlotte area business officals that USAIR was going to replace the "Southern" way of customer service and replace it with the "Northern" style...well the same with PSA they went in with the mind set of "well, were in the saddle now", yep, they are but the powers to be could nt pull it together then and they still do not get it. You can only be skimppy so much in business then your customer base melts along with your employees respect.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 2:08:48 PM USAirUnited wrote:

[DIV][snip]
....Overtime was not designed for that use, and when it is used like this it is cost effective.
Why don't they just call more folks back. How insane. [/DIV]
----------------
[/blockquote]

The auto industry has been pulling these kinds of all-overtime-all-the-time shenanigans for years now. Auto management has found that it is more "cost effective" to pay less people for overtime than to pay the wages and benefits of enough people to do the job under humane conditions. This has played itself out in several other industries as well.

-Airlineorphan

Hearing the voice of D.S. is moronic to say the least when he uses the excuse of "DUE TO INCLEMENT WX IN PARTS OF THE COUNTRY", and there isn't nor hasn't been a storm to be found anywhere east of the MISS. The proper excuse is high call volume, low manpower, i.e. poor management.

Sometimes if you hit STAR Zero you can bypass the greeting when those first in his never ending saga of "deceitful" words are spoken.

USairUnited,

They won't call anyone to return from furlough unless passengers complain to management by the groves, and that you know won't happen cause no one anwers their phone up there either. Same with flight attendants who will now work "understaffed" until they burn out. And since the "sick" benefit has been HIT with this round of concessions, you can't afford to stop working if you burn out to the point of illness. Only answers is when this company begins to profit at sustainable levels, then maybe our union leadership can sit down with this company, but then again I just faded into a "dream" for a moment there.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/11/2003 5:18:05 PM airlineorphan wrote:

The auto industry has been pulling these kinds of all-overtime-all-the-time shenanigans for years now. Auto management has found that it is more "cost effective" to pay less people for overtime than to pay the wages and benefits of enough people to do the job under humane conditions. This has played itself out in several other industries as well.

-Airlineorphan

----------------
[/blockquote]
The reason the auto industry does this is because if they did hire another person to do that job they'd have to pay the exhorbitant costs associated with that hiring. Guaranteed wages on furlough etc. Why do you think cars cost what they do today? Another example of a powerful union gone crazy.

Wow....Last time I read a post about recalls, the furlough dates were somewhere around 9/99. This has to be close to catching up to the bottom of the list - somewhere around 2001 hires.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/13/2003 12:38:01 PM MrAeroMan wrote:
The reason the auto industry does this is because if they did hire another person to do that job they'd have to pay the exhorbitant costs associated with that hiring. Guaranteed wages on furlough etc. Why do you think cars cost what they do today? Another example of a powerful union gone crazy.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yep, those dratted greedy unions! In fact, while the above statement repeats a common myth about the economics of trade unions, it is not accurate. In reality, the UAW has been anything but greedy over the last 25 years. Concessionary contract after concessionary contract has been the norm for the last 25 years. Amongst these concessions has been an expansion of outsourcing and the industry wages have actually dropped dramatically, as enterprises previously internal to GM, Chrysler and Ford are now legally separate companies where employees make wages considerably lower than at the core (Delphi, American Axle, etc). (Sound familiar?)

And at these lower wage parts factories, the same dynamic exists as at the higher tier "core" facilities: Massive forced overtime, sometimes 16 hour days, 7 days a week. It's not high auto worker wages or the high cost of hiring new folks that drive the companies to do this forced overtime, it's actually the high cost of health insurance in most cases.

The low wages feed into this as well, because lower wage workers often turn to overtime to make ends meet. The overtime can be addictive, psychologically (one dissident UAW president likes to call overtime "the cocaine of the working class") and is quite destructive to families, health and workplace safety.

I'm glad to hear rumors of recalls of res agents. Is this confirmed?

I think it will be important to scrutinize whether or not overtime gets abused (which in turn means employees and their families get abused) instead of recalling people to do the work under HUMANE conditions.

-Airlineorphan

P.S. I will allow that the UAW has "gone crazy" in that they have been nuts to agree to break pattern bargaining, allow the whipsawing of different groups of autoworkers against each other, and to sell out the younger generations of workers by allowing the multi-tiered/outsourced wage system.

Posted: 1/13/2003 11:31:09 AM

ITRADE

Total Posts: 644
Last Post: 1/13/2003

I, too, just called and got through.

Obviously, somebody is trying to spread sour grapes.

-------------------

Obviously, you are labeling someone a liar. Would it be prudent to post a sound file of the announced waiting time? Or would that be deemed fudged and inadmissable in your court? It said 10 minutes at 1030 this morning. Get over it. And at 455pm, 2 different prompts stated 6 and 7 minute delays,which aren't bad but didn't put them to the test.Furthermore, One prompt to speak to an agent resulted in a busy signal and required redial. The lines are obviously swamped with about a hundred less agents on duty today at a given time.

[/blockquote]

Yep, those dratted greedy unions! In fact, while the above statement repeats a common myth about the economics of trade unions, it is not accurate. In reality, the UAW has been anything but greedy over the last 25 years. Concessionary contract after concessionary contract has been the norm for the last 25 years. Amongst these concessions has been an expansion of outsourcing and the industry wages have actually dropped dramatically, as enterprises previously internal to GM, Chrysler and Ford are now legally separate companies where employees make wages considerably lower than at the core (Delphi, American Axle, etc). (Sound familiar?)

Yep....those unions give, give and give. They never get anything do they?

Was called back today 1/13 to INT...
My hire date was 2/00. My furlough date was Dec. 6. Started new job with major corporation at three times the pay on Jan. 6.(What would you do??) Need answer at 8:30 am on 1/14. Seems pretty obvious to me.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/13/2003 8:23:22 PM ChairPrefRes wrote:

Was called back today 1/13 to INT...
My hire date was 2/00. My furlough date was Dec. 6. Started new job with major corporation at three times the pay on Jan. 6.(What would you do??) Need answer at 8:30 am on 1/14. Seems pretty obvious to me.
----------------
[/blockquote]

wow, I know what I'd choose!..you gotta job at 30 bux an hour(assuming it was at least 10 bux previous)..care to share?
[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif']

Cant share exact name but it is a large media company and the division I'm working for had over 5.2 billion in sales for the 1st 9 months...They were looking for about 15 people when I was hired...Holidays and Sundays off...Great bennies and a treatment of their employees...U is not in the running on this but my wife is staying with 81 seniority so I'm obviously still pro U...Good luck for those who stay and for those looking for work be positive in your job hunt and sell yourself...I't wont hurt having U on your resume...
1.gif']

Status
Not open for further replies.