Thanks To The F/o On Bos-phl

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
I was flying BOS-PHL on the evening of June 9, and I vividly remember discussing with several other customers how strange it was that an Aer Lingus flight appeared to come so close to us. I didn't think much after that night until there was a media explosion regarding the flight several weeks later.

Today, the New York Times is reporting an even closer call at JFK several weeks ago.

See story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/21/nyregion/21plane.html

Folks, we are back to pre 9/11 travel levels - that means there are more planes than ever before flying through our airspace.

Let us take the time to remember all the people who get us safely from point A to B without incident. Ever since the days of "US Scare," US Airways has been one of (if not the) safest airlines in the world. It is just a shame that management seems to be "cutting" so much on the MX side of things. Regardless, "kudos" to all the remaining MX folks - you do one hell of a job.

Let us also take the time to reflect on the superb job of the pilots in the US Airways system. I have always been a "good flyer," but sometimes I will get a bit nervous if there is serious turbulence or any other problem while flying - except if I am flying US Airways. The minute I walk on the planes, I know that I have the most experienced flight crews in the industry. In fact, when we all talk about revenue management and erosion of the US product, one reason that I stilloverpay for a crappy transcon snackbox is because I feel safe. If I was flying anyone else, I wouldn't have that sense of security. 99.9% of the flyers don't see this, but this CP does.

I want to personally thank the F/O of my BOS-PHL flight for saving my life 6 weeks ago. I can only imagine the trials he has been through during his US career - he has probably been a Captain before, only to be demoted to F/O because of the disgusting cutbacks. However, he obviously comes to work prepared to face anything on a daily basis. Without his incredible instincts, which he used while operating an aircraft at incredible speeds down a runway in Boston, the "merger" might be an afterthought at this point.

Regards,
ISP

ISP said:
I was flying BOS-PHL on the evening of June 9, and I vividly remember discussing with several other customers how strange it was that an Aer Lingus flight appeared to come so close to us. I didn't think much after that night until there was a media explosion regarding the flight several weeks later.

Today, the New York Times is reporting an even closer call at JFK several weeks ago.

See story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/21/nyregion/21plane.html

Folks, we are back to pre 9/11 travel levels - that means there are more planes than ever before flying through our airspace.

Let us take the time to remember all the people who get us safely from point A to B without incident. Ever since the days of "US Scare," US Airways has been one of (if not the) safest airlines in the world. It is just a shame that management seems to be "cutting" so much on the MX side of things. Regardless, "kudos" to all the remaining MX folks - you do one hell of a job.

Let us also take the time to reflect on the superb job of the pilots in the US Airways system. I have always been a "good flyer," but sometimes I will get a bit nervous if there is serious turbulence or any other problem while flying - except if I am flying US Airways. The minute I walk on the planes, I know that I have the most experienced flight crews in the industry. In fact, when we all talk about revenue management and erosion of the US product, one reason that I stilloverpay for a crappy transcon snackbox is because I feel safe. If I was flying anyone else, I wouldn't have that sense of security. 99.9% of the flyers don't see this, but this CP does.

I want to personally thank the F/O of my BOS-PHL flight for saving my life 6 weeks ago. I can only imagine the trials he has been through during his US career - he has probably been a Captain before, only to be demoted to F/O because of the disgusting cutbacks. However, he obviously comes to work prepared to face anything on a daily basis. Without his incredible instincts, which he used while operating an aircraft at incredible speeds down a runway in Boston, the "merger" might be an afterthought at this point.

Regards,
ISP
[post="282981"][/post]​
amen to that.

I agree 100 percent. We are fortunate at U and most of the majors to have outstanding pilots. Relying on smarter and more advanced planes is great but nothing beats the experience and dedication of our pilots. I'm concerned what will happen down the road with the loss of pay, benefits, and increased days away from home. As the job deteriorates so will the type of person we are attracting. Airlines will no longer be attracting he best of the best. The men and women we attracted in the past will be pursuing other careers and using flying as only a hobby. That doesn't just apply to pilots, our mechanics and flight attendants will also be a different breed altogether.

skygirl said:
I agree 100 percent. We are fortunate at U and most of the majors to have outstanding pilots. Relying on smarter and more advanced planes is great but nothing beats the experience and dedication of our pilots. I'm concerned what will happen down the road with the loss of pay, benefits, and increased days away from home. As the job deteriorates so will the type of person we are attracting. Airlines will no longer be attracting he best of the best. The men and women we attracted in the past will be pursuing other careers and using flying as only a hobby. That doesn't just apply to pilots, our mechanics and flight attendants will also be a different breed altogether.
[post="283036"][/post]​

The First Officer who prevented the near disaster in Providence in 99 involving a potential low vis takeoff with a United Flight on the runway just called it quits. A scholar, gentleman, excellent aviator and hero of that day after furlough, J4J and the repetitive downward spiral of the profession just packed it in after 20+ years in aviation to be a farmer and be with his family.

And I am sure W will fire them all, like the great Ronald Reagan did.

These guys, like most unions, need to get out of the 40's and 50's and accept that the world has passed them by,

qwerty said:

These guys, like most unions, need to get out of the 40's and 50's and accept that the world has passed them by,
[post="283087"][/post]​

No they don't, they have a skill that neither you nor I or most of the general
public does not have and cannot aquire in short order.

Please ignore the Bushwipes. They think everyone who joins a union could be replaced by a knuckledragger like W.

W stands for Whattadumbass.

qwerty said:

[post="283087"][/post]​
Like you have, you mean.

Latest posts