Why Not Focus Phl

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
So, what if US Airways were to decide to turn PHL into a Focus City operation like PIT. Identify the Top 20-30 O&D markets at LGA, BOS, PHL, PIT, FLL and fly a point-to-point operation between those focus cities and those O&D markets and operated its only hub at CLT. I mean really, what would be the big deal if US Airways were to simply focus PHL?

What's wrong with PHL? Everyone loves that hub. In good weather you can fly in, change planes and fly out in just a couple of hours. Plus it's fun wondering if your baggage will arrive with you at your final destination.

FM2436 said:
I mean really, what would be the big deal if US Airways were to simply focus PHL?
[post="233631"][/post]​
USAirways management has proven time and time again that it can't be trusted to do anything well, not even pull down PHL. And do you really think having them remain a going concern is in anyones long term best interest?

I know we've talked about this for years: treating PHL, PIT, LGA, DCA and maybe even BWI as an east coast connection network, built out of efficient O & D aircraft utilization scheduling, with some tweaking to accomodate connections, with CLT remaining a more traditional hub. Rolling PHL and establishing PIT as more of a regional jet hub were seen as moves in that direction... sort of.

DCD said:
USAirways management has proven time and time again that it can't be trusted to do anything well, not even pull down PHL. And do you really think having them remain a going concern is in anyones long term best interest?
[post="233646"][/post]​

Sure it is. It's in the best interest of 29,000 or so USAirways employees and their families. It's in the best interest of the communities where U is a major employer and their economies.

It's in the National/State interest not to have 29,000 people on the unemployment rolls. It's in the best interest of the consumer. Do you think air fares will increase or decrease with less competition?

Right now, every airline but WN is but a step from financial disaster. WN may follow sooner or later as labor costs continue rising. WN's astute fuel hedge won't last forever and when that happens their cost of business will further increase.

Let me guess, you work for a LCC and are just another wishful vulture. Well, don't hold your breath waiting for U to fail. Because in spite of U management 99% of the employees are going to do everything in their power to fix PHL, fix the airline where necessary, and be a premier airline once again in the very near future.

N924PS said:
Because in spite of U management 99% of the employees are going to do everything in their power to fix PHL, fix the airline where necessary, and be a premier airline once again in the very near future.
[post="233917"][/post]​
If USAir is going to survive it will be because of the hard work and combined efforts of its employees. Please show me so far how management has been encouraging this Herculean effort? I worked at USAir for twenty years and witnessed management at three major cities and several layers; except for a few isolated instances they are incapable of sustained productive leadership.

Latest posts