What to expect USAir PHL-TLV

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Taking a trip to Israel this summer and am considering taking US BOS-PHL-TLV. People seem to be raving about the new Envoy seat and I'm beginning to consider giving it a try. For some background, I've flown Continental and El Al before from EWR and JFK and have been fairly satisfied with both of their business class products. The attraction to US is having direct aisle access and not being disturbed by a seatmate due to the 1-2-1 configuration. How is the in-flight catering? Is it on par with UA Chelsea catering from EWR or El Al? Secondly how are the FAs? I know this is the longest route in the US system and likely a coveted route for senior FAs. I don't want to be stuck with senior disgruntled FAs for a 12 hour flight. US fares BOS-PHL-TLV are about $1000 cheaper than UA BOS-EWR-TLV for my dates and there must be a reason.

Also considering redeeming CO miles to fly Lufthansa or SWISS first class through Frankfurt or Zurich, respectively. Perhaps the cold but professional service on Lufthansa or SWISS will be better than senior USAir FAs.

Any suggestions?

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
If you're going to go the LH or LX route, don't waste the miles for first, go business instead. I did BOS-FRA in the dead of summer and we did it in under 7 hours. I don't think there's F on that route anyway, as we were on a 2 class 346. FRA-TLV they consider longhaul instead of intra-European, so it will be proper J class instead of European J class - which is a blocked middle seat. LH happens to be the 2nd largest carrier into TLV in terms of seats behind LY. Kind of ironic isn't it?

Taking a trip to Israel this summer and am considering taking US BOS-PHL-TLV. People seem to be raving about the new Envoy seat and I'm beginning to consider giving it a try. For some background, I've flown Continental and El Al before from EWR and JFK and have been fairly satisfied with both of their business class products. The attraction to US is having direct aisle access and not being disturbed by a seatmate due to the 1-2-1 configuration. How is the in-flight catering? Is it on par with UA Chelsea catering from EWR or El Al? Secondly how are the FAs? I know this is the longest route in the US system and likely a coveted route for senior FAs. I don't want to be stuck with senior disgruntled FAs for a 12 hour flight. US fares BOS-PHL-TLV are about $1000 cheaper than UA BOS-EWR-TLV for my dates and there must be a reason.

Also considering redeeming CO miles to fly Lufthansa or SWISS first class through Frankfurt or Zurich, respectively. Perhaps the cold but professional service on Lufthansa or SWISS will be better than senior USAir FAs.

Any suggestions?

Josh

Ya buys yer ticket....ya takes yer chances.

Like any other airline, you may have your best flight ever, or your worst.

Reactions: 1 person
If you're going to go the LH or LX route, don't waste the miles for first, go business instead. I did BOS-FRA in the dead of summer and we did it in under 7 hours. I don't think there's F on that route anyway, as we were on a 2 class 346. FRA-TLV they consider longhaul instead of intra-European, so it will be proper J class instead of European J class - which is a blocked middle seat. LH happens to be the 2nd largest carrier into TLV in terms of seats behind LY. Kind of ironic isn't it?

The second BOS-FRA is two class, the earlier flight on 744 is 3-class with F, I've flown it many times. Yes both LH and LX operate long haul service and equipment to TLV (as does BA from LHR). I respectfully disagree that it isn't worth the miles to go LH or LX F instead of J. If I go LH F, I'll get the separate bed and seat for the first segment (744) then enjoy the First Class Terminal at FRA, and possibly get the new LH F on the second flight. LX would have their new first on both segments and I'd get access to the SWISS First Lounge at ZRH instead of the HON/Senator lounge. It's 50k additional miles but well worth it to me to have the added comfort and privacy.

LH F 744: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/on_board?nodeid=3276594&l=en&cid=1000390
LH F A340: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/on_board?nodeid=3276583&l=en&
LX F A330: http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/fly_swiss/swiss_first/Pages/swiss_first.aspx

Depending on availability I'll probably do LH over USAir.

Josh

If the $1000 fare difference or the extra miles dont matter, and you expect the same serivce as LH or LX, then dont book it. If you expect the PHL club to be like the LH First Class lounge, then dont book it. Book LH and have a great flight!
I wouldnt normally advise someone to book someone else, but from reading your posts and how unsatisfied you have been with most things US, we arent going to live up to your expectations no matter what so dont even put yourself through it and just book the other guys.

If the $1000 fare difference or the extra miles dont matter, and you expect the same serivce as LH or LX, then dont book it. If you expect the PHL club to be like the LH First Class lounge, then dont book it. Book LH and have a great flight!
I wouldnt normally advise someone to book someone else, but from reading your posts and how unsatisfied you have been with most things US, we arent going to live up to your expectations no matter what so dont even put yourself through it and just book the other guys.

I've been to the PHL club in the international gates and its actually fairly nice and spacious. Of course, there is no comparison to the LH First Class terminal in Frankfurt. I just thought I'd give it a try but its probably best I stick with Lufthansa or El Al.

Josh

If I had the option to fly SWISS or LH to TLV, I would go with either carrier. I have flown the US Airways ENVOY class PHLMAN RT and I was not impressed. First the food was nothing special I found it rather bland. The service by the FA's was at most acceptable. Having flown DL, UA, LH business class for international flying US can not hold a candle to the service you get from LH. DL bumped me in FRA few years back and LH flew me FRAJFK business class. It was outstanding. The FA's were great. The Food was outstanding.

As for me I think US cuts to many corners to save a buck. That is why there service is priced lower than others. Remember you only get what you pay for. I would compare flying US Airways PHL TLV like taking TowerAir JFKTLV back in the 1990's.....O U C H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edited]

Now that being said, the issue with this route is when AA took on TW, they cut this route, Israeli courts ordered AA to cover some version of unemployment for the employees that lost there job. Supposedly AA is not allowed to return to TLV until this issue is resolved. So the question is, how will this effect our current route if we become AA?

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone STOP!!!!!! The topic is PHL-TLV. It has turned into a series of personal attacks.

Now that being said, the issue with this route is when AA took on TW, they cut this route, Israeli courts ordered AA to cover some version of unemployment for the employees that lost there job. Supposedly AA is not allowed to return to TLV until this issue is resolved. So the question is, how will this effect our current route if we become AA?

It's not about TLV. It's about the quality of service, yeah or nay.

It's called "Reading Comprehension."

Ok Kitty... Phl-Tlv is serviced by A330. By mid summer all envoy seating will be upgraded to the 1-2-1 pod configuration. Most F/A's take a large amount of pride in their service, I do not think anyone would be disappointed. TLV is a very modern easy to navigate terminal. Tours are easily booked at any major hotel, lovely beach and boardwalk area in TLV. Lovely walk to Jaffa, one of the oldest seaports in the world.