The last ditch effort (USA Today Article)

He warned that in bankruptcy, deeper cost savings would be needed and union work rules must be "on the table." That is a quote from Mr. Tilton today in an AP news release. FWIW, I spoke to a high ranking official of 141M last night in SFO. UA management has retained a high powered BK attorney who has worked for Frank Lorenzo at CO and EAL. UA management will seek to abrogate the mechanics collective bargaining agreement. The mechanics are going to be the whipping boys and shoulder the blame for UA's demise if they fail to emerge from BK.

He warned that in bankruptcy, deeper cost savings would be needed and union work rules must be "on the table." That is a quote from Mr. Tilton today in an AP news release. FWIW, I spoke to a high ranking official of 141M last night in SFO. UA management has retained a high powered BK attorney who has worked for Frank Lorenzo at CO and EAL. UA management will seek to abrogate the mechanics collective bargaining agreement. The mechanics are going to be the whipping boys and shoulder the blame for UA's demise if they fail to emerge from BK.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 10:22:09 AM DB Cooper wrote:

UA management will seek to abrogate the mechanics collective bargaining agreement. The mechanics are going to be the whipping boys and shoulder the blame for UA's demise if they fail to emerge from BK.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That's right, everybody wash your hands. The filthy Mechanics will take all the "blame". You can all sleep soundly at night knowing that everything that is wrong with this company is the fault of those dirty laborers.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/6/2002 10:22:09 AM DB Cooper wrote:

UA management will seek to abrogate the mechanics collective bargaining agreement. The mechanics are going to be the whipping boys and shoulder the blame for UA's demise if they fail to emerge from BK.
----------------
[/blockquote]

That's right, everybody wash your hands. The filthy Mechanics will take all the "blame". You can all sleep soundly at night knowing that everything that is wrong with this company is the fault of those dirty laborers.

[blockquote]
----------------

A United spokesman declined to comment on the report that the company would file Sunday.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Companies do seem to prefer filing CH11 on Sundays.

[blockquote]
----------------

A United spokesman declined to comment on the report that the company would file Sunday.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Companies do seem to prefer filing CH11 on Sundays.

I have to agree with most of what Rhino said. I think that many factors came together in the right order to bring UAL to this point. Whereas 9/11 might have brought it about sooner than it would have naturally occurred, the road that UAL was headed down even before that would have led to the same destination I believe. I am not pointing a finger at anybody, or any one circumstance. A string of bad management decisions, and bad labor/managment relationships have led to where UAL is today.

It seems that bankruptcy is a certainty now. I know that when the groups involved finally realized the brevity of the situation, they fought very hard to avoid this, but in the end, it was too little too late. However, I hope now that everyone understands this, the people that remain at UAL can put all of the past aside, and work together to come back leaner and stronger. I also hope that management will reward labor for their sacrifices and hard work when this happens, and the ship is righted. I know most of the time that does not happen, but CO is an example of what can happen in this scenario.

Anyway, I want to wish everyone directly involved with the airline the best. As an investor, I have lost a lot in it. As a customer, I will be loyal as long as you are flying.

Best of luck to all,
CAETravlr

I have to agree with most of what Rhino said. I think that many factors came together in the right order to bring UAL to this point. Whereas 9/11 might have brought it about sooner than it would have naturally occurred, the road that UAL was headed down even before that would have led to the same destination I believe. I am not pointing a finger at anybody, or any one circumstance. A string of bad management decisions, and bad labor/managment relationships have led to where UAL is today.

It seems that bankruptcy is a certainty now. I know that when the groups involved finally realized the brevity of the situation, they fought very hard to avoid this, but in the end, it was too little too late. However, I hope now that everyone understands this, the people that remain at UAL can put all of the past aside, and work together to come back leaner and stronger. I also hope that management will reward labor for their sacrifices and hard work when this happens, and the ship is righted. I know most of the time that does not happen, but CO is an example of what can happen in this scenario.

Anyway, I want to wish everyone directly involved with the airline the best. As an investor, I have lost a lot in it. As a customer, I will be loyal as long as you are flying.

Best of luck to all,
CAETravlr

Let's see.

Pilots' summer of 2000.

Goodwin forced out for a memo that accurately states UAL's precarious situation.

Creighton can't take appropriate cost-saving measures with the unions on the BOD.

Mechs threaten to strike. Creighton caves.

Pilots' ERP proposal is a joke, with snapbacks that aren't tied to profitability.

Mechs don't even offer that.

UAL mgmt presents a business plan to the ATSB that basically gets laughed off the table.

Despite the run of self-destructive actions by labor and mgmt in the last three years, now an ALPA guy calls the ATSB denial "a victory for terrorism." Now there's a genius. Another poster blames GWB.

Look in the mirror, folks. Pilots and Mechs at UAL have proven themselves to be incompetent and irresponsible OWNERS. YOU had a lot to do with ruining your company. Only Ch 11 will save you from yourselves.

Let's see.

Pilots' summer of 2000.

Goodwin forced out for a memo that accurately states UAL's precarious situation.

Creighton can't take appropriate cost-saving measures with the unions on the BOD.

Mechs threaten to strike. Creighton caves.

Pilots' ERP proposal is a joke, with snapbacks that aren't tied to profitability.

Mechs don't even offer that.

UAL mgmt presents a business plan to the ATSB that basically gets laughed off the table.

Despite the run of self-destructive actions by labor and mgmt in the last three years, now an ALPA guy calls the ATSB denial "a victory for terrorism." Now there's a genius. Another poster blames GWB.

Look in the mirror, folks. Pilots and Mechs at UAL have proven themselves to be incompetent and irresponsible OWNERS. YOU had a lot to do with ruining your company. Only Ch 11 will save you from yourselves.

The Wall Street Journal is referring to the non-approval of a loan guarantee as "Tough Love".

Accurate.

I can't believe that the UAL Captain said "Bankruptcy for UAL is a victory for terrorism". What an idiot. Not true and overly simplistic. All 9-11 did was speed up the process a little.

The Wall Street Journal is referring to the non-approval of a loan guarantee as "Tough Love".

Accurate.

I can't believe that the UAL Captain said "Bankruptcy for UAL is a victory for terrorism". What an idiot. Not true and overly simplistic. All 9-11 did was speed up the process a little.