The real reason why Wolf giving the IAM another vote

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Why is our Chairman doing this?
The last I checked, the COB is one of the most powerful positions at any company and from the board does a CEO get its food.
is it because he is a nice guy?
An honest question it is. I mean either this company has turned a new leaf and is seriously wanting our mechanics to come out better by accepting its proposal, or, it has to be that if the members reject the contract again that it would force the company''s hand financially.
I think number 2 is most credible. So the reality is that either the Mechanics proposal would be tweaked in some area or the company would liquidate. I think number 1 is more credible.
This company will not let 1.5 billion dollars in finacing from Texas Pacific and the Taxpayors go down the gutter. Would you? Of course not.
This company feeds and gets high off of financing and its fix won''t allow it to just pick its ball up and go home.

Sabre,

Please come out from behind the gr***y knoll! Wolf is not, I say NOT running this ship. Only if he were to turn up dead would many of you believe that, and then some would believe he faked his own death. The Board of Directors is wiped out. This thing is being run by Siegel, the creditors committee, and most importantly, the BK Court. Siegel has done everything he has said he would do, and changing the corporate culture is one of them. Granted this takes time, and especially now, trust must be earned, not given. At the same time, you must give him a chance to earn your trust. Some things are just going to require that leap of faith. I honestly do believe he is trying to let the mechanics off the hooks for something that could be very devasting when (notice that is when, not if) the Court throws the existing contract in the trash can. Siegel has said repeatedly he will not let one labor group bring this ship down. Even if the mechanics were to strike, there are plently of out of work AMTs, and those getting paid peanuts at regionals who would fill slots quickly enough not to have the ship sink. I am no big fan of a paycut (no raise since 2000, parity or otherwise), or the IAM, but I know when to pick and choose my battles. This is not a fight that can be won.

From the press release that I read, it sounded like the IAM requested the re-vote. They quoted Mr. Tiberi as saying that there was confusion amoung the membership about the consequences of turning down the T/A. No where did it say that the compny was tweaking thier proposal. If I read it correctly, you will be voting on the exact same package. I take it the IAM still hasn't polled it's constituents to see what they really wanted? Sounds like all of the pork is still going to be there.

I was also reading where the IAM dropped their objection to the 6.5 million dollar bonuses. While there was a stipulation in there that no one over the level of Senior VP receive bonus money, that was the intention all along. Has the IAM lost touch with the people they are representing or are the views expressed here the views of the minority?

Don't get me wrong,I am glad the IAM has an opportunity to vote on their package again, but without any changes, will it really p***? I don't think so. I can see where the card signing for AMFA will be picking up speed very soon.

N628, Just to let you know the company would have a hard time replacing mechanics.Why? The company would have to stop flying most of the airbus a/c.It takes 3 weeks of school for the training.This is what the FAA and company agreed to when they first got the airbuses.Well,I guess they could fly some airbus and let the foreman start whipping the books.That would be tough with the FAA snooping around a bankrupt carrier.3 weeks is a long time !!!!

From the numbers of people I have talked to... I think the term Confused is most accurate. Most all , have been under the impression that Judge Mitchell had/has the ability to tweak or ammend the current situation...in the form of removing the Retro or upholding the earned vacation and sick-days. Many have bristled at the phrase Confussion...well get over it!! 99% of the people I have chatted with in CLT,PIT and PHL , have been going on with just that concept/***umption. This is a No-Win situation...We aren't pitching a No-Hitter...but we can lose it all on an error. I say take the sacrifice to fly. Then we can work on getting the IAM out of our lives. DO NOT Confuse..or lump the two issues together again. I swear I hear the echo of Martin Shagrue's voice...and the commercials playing the sound of The next 120 days at Eastern....does anyone remember that ad campaigne , prior to the airline shutting down for good? I sure do!!!

Well I received my letter from Dave today and I went directly to the post office and returned to sender. I plan to vote NO for company proposal, but unfortunately this time it will p***. Much will have changed in 6 years when we will be able to negotiate a fair contract. For one thing the IAM will be history at Usairways for mechanic and related. Hopefully AMFA or whoever represents us will attempt to work for its members and not the union. Good luck to all!!

Yesterday Dave Siegel met with TPG in DCA. The important point is that TPG requires the cuts and without ratified IAM & CWA agreements, there will be no DIP/Emergence financing or loan guarantee, thus the most likely remaining option would be to fragment/liquidate the company.

Also, the judge cannot tweak the contract. The judge can only rule on the motion to keep or abrogate the current working agreement. Plus, there is the threat of the motion for the IAM to pay over $5 million and CWA over $2 million per month for six months in damages.

With a no vote, the IAM has no contract and the company can impose any pay rate, work rules, benefits, or retirement plan it elects.

This whole situation is bad and nobody likes it, but this is not a traditional RLA act negotiation, it's a bankruptcy process and the company has won virtually every motion submitted to the judge. The company won its first day motions, was relieved of lease options for both parked and current aircraft, was released from some ATO/CTO obligations, etc. Therefore, with the judge siding with the company, I believe it's doubtful the judge would keep the current agreements in place when there is so much at risk.

Therefore, in my opinion a no vote is a vote to eliminate the current contract and to live life without a contract, with total uncertainty for the future that could include liquidation.

Chip

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/7/2002 1:36:10 PM cat 111 wrote:

N628, Just to let you know the company would have a hard time replacing mechanics.Why? The company would have to stop flying most of the airbus a/c.It takes 3 weeks of school for the training.----------------
[/blockquote]

Could US outsource the maintenance on short notice? I'm not suggesting they do this...just wondering how quickly the a/c manufacturers or other companies could respond with contracted maintenance services.

How is the language giving the IAM a seat on the board of directors worded? Is it to the IAM specifically? Or is it for whatever union represents you? If the IAM is on the board of directors, is that going to make it harder to decertify them and get rid of them?

This would be a minimum of three weeks...that is if there are people lined up at the door to work in a replacement capacity this moment. The 3 week Airbus training is part of the MPP (Maintenance Policies and Procedures) Manual. This is an agreed upon course of action between USAirways and the FAA. Actually this would even be longer than 3 weeks...The HR issues..background checks, drug screenings and the alike , would also come into play. By and large , We would be history before this could ever have a chance of happening. Keep in mind , I'm only awnsering your question...No supporting the idea!!! I realize that this was just a question from you as well!! Not a suggested course of action. I hope this never becomes an alternative!!...and I believe the down time of training would force a liquidation sale anyway. Another No Vote could force the same actions too!!

To: N628AU
I don't think you really believe the Board of Directors is a silent board do you? The Board of Directors is running this company and that is why Dave met with them last month...for them to give him the approval to carry on his work.

Another point is the mechanics and related are still IAM for the time being along with fleet service.Under the old contract they could not be forced to cross our picket line but with the new one who knows?Hopefully it will not come down to that.

Chip

You need to mind your own business.What happens with the mechanics and customer service is their business not YOURS !!! I hope all mechanics vote NO.

I have a weird feeling the union is going to fix the election. Why is the company giving us another chance to vote this in. They must feel they can NOT get a better deal from the judge or they would have had the judge decide. If anyone was confused they should have asked about it before the vote. I can see this is a SCAM. Funny how the union wants for us to vote for this so bad, but they say they can not recommend it.

Why don't you just come out and say I hope USAirways is dead meat! It's the same thing. I never really believed that such hatred and paranoia existed at this company. I mean come on...fixed union votes you guys????? This ain't the Teamsters under Hoffa for crying out loud. Can't you see that Dave does not want to push IAM-M to a showdown in court or are you itching for a fight that everyone will loose. I see a CEO bending over BACKWARDS to make this thing work, but all I see here is suspicion, doubt and Heck no I ain't backin up. What's it going to take to prove to you that the man wants to work with you??? Maybe, Oh you guys don't have to pony up anything...your already so UNDERPAID. Give me a break...