The Case Against The Iam

jetmechline

Aug 22, 2002
DON’T FORGET!

That John Peterpaul/IAM voted for the United/US Airways merger. This prompted Wolf/Gangwal to wreck the company to justify the merger. (The merger was the plan from the day Wolf came to U S Airways.)

United gave their pilots the money to get them to back the merger. This prompted the pilots of the other airlines to demand the same compensation. They got it. A good percentage of the money for this sweetheart deal came out of the paychecks of the other employee groups. Analysts predicted this massive pay boost for the pilots would wreck the industry. It did.

Long before the recession and 9/11, an IAM official was asked why Wolf and Gangwal were getting multi-million dollar compensation packages while asking the IAM employees to take a concessionary contract. The snide response was “Maybe you should have gone to CEO school instead of A&P Schoolâ€.

Before the recession and 9/11, an IAM AGC was trying to scare the U S Airways mechanics into taking a garbage contract. He said that if they went on strike, the company would bring in replacement workers (he didn’t use the word scabs). This was said at a time when there was a shortage of aircraft mechanics in the country. Also, the FAA had turned down US Airways request to defer a large amount of the maintenance work. This, of course, put the mechanics in a very strong bargaining position.

The IAM AGC discouraged the idea of a strike threat at that time by saying I don’t care if you go on strike or not, I’ll still get my paycheck. The contract passed. This needlessly inferior contract is where we were left to begin our series of post-9/11 givebacks that extend to 2008.

We were told by the IAM to vote to bring the ramp into our union because there was strength in numbers during negotiations. After the ramp was voted into the IAM, the ramp got a raise that was twice as big as what the mechanics got.

When the company farmed out the CFM engine work, the IAM said it wasn’t our work. But the contract book said aircraft engine work was our work. The contract did not specify any particular type of engine. The IAM said the US Airways mechanics would not notice the loss of the CFM engine work because there would be so much Airbus APU work. Now, we are told there will be no Airbus APU work and the Airbus heavy maintenance work is very doubtful.

The IAM received $1.25 million from the company as a payoff for intimidating the membership into accepting the garbage contract they didn’t understand on the first vote.

The IAM received a sweetheart deal to be the sole bargaining agent for Mid-Atlantic Airways. How much did the membership have to give up to get that for the IAM?

The IAM rode on the coattails of the CWA and the AFA when it came to getting the 5% pay deferral back.

Prior to the Northwest contract, an IAM AGC said, AMFA would lower the standard of wages for the whole industry. A short time after he said that, AMFA got the Northwest mechanics the best contract in the industry by far.

The IAM claims AMFA is a small, weak union. If the IAM had not done everything in their power to oppose AMFA, by now AMFA would be a much bigger, stronger union.

Under the current contract, the mechanics and related took an effective 30% pay and benefit cut. Our union dues, however, stayed the same. This is an effective 30% increase in dues at a time when we took a massive financial hit. Did the compensation of the IAM officials decrease one penny?

Even though the IAM membership was not responsible for the financial problems at United, the IAM rammed the ESOP down the throats of the membership to satisfy the demands of the company for massive givebacks. Now, the ESOP is a wipeout. Remember, the IAM said that they would make the membership millionaires with the EFLOP.

The other employee groups (not just the mechanics) in AMFA will all benefit if AMFA gets in. Each group will have its own elected negotiating representatives and the Northwest wages and pension plan as a standard to strive for. An IAM lawyer, when asked to comment on the Northwest contract, said No corporation should be saddled with a contract like that.

I am sure that there are many more items that could be added to this list. These items should exhibit the true character of the IAM. Now is the time for anyone who is undecided to send a card to AMFA so that the issues can be fully and openly debated in a public forum.

Attachments

• 1nocleaners.jpg
    1nocleaners.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 180
Mesaba

Mesaba airlines had aircraft cleaners before amfa was voted in as their 'union'. Now that amfa represents Mesaba mechanics all the cleaners jobs have been eliminated and farmed out. Mesaba mechanics don't even have a contract yet, but amfa had no problem watching all the cleaners lose their work. Here is a testimonial from a former Mesaba cleaner who didn't survive under amfa.

The IAM has not done much for anybody lately, and if we loose the AIRBUS work then they can keep who every is left because the BOEING will go next. The IAM has had years to work on the COMPANY to get things in place for the AIRBUS but now it could be to late I voted NO twice because the writing was the wall that we would loose the AIRBUS and any other thing that they could take. Now the IAM wants to fight to keep AMFA out, time will tell but one thing for sure ask U and UAL how many times does it take to get the vote right.
It doesnt matter who is driving this train wreck, when dave and company (jerry) get done there will be nothing left for any UNION to worry about !!

Clue by four: "Why would a mechanics union be concerned with cleaners?...Or, why don't the cleaners get their own union?"

Word.

ClueByFour said:
Or, why don't the cleaners get their own union?
I'm sure you would not see the mechanics whining and crying that the cleaners want to leave and defect. Although they are in the mechanic class and craft. If that weren't the case what would they have to bargain with at the table? I'm also positive that the iam would be willing to represent them. They could stick them in the local with the LIMO drivers. ;)

to much time to quit said:
ClueByFour said:
Or, why don't the cleaners get their own union?
I'm sure you would not see the mechanics whining and crying that the cleaners want to leave and defect. Although they are in the mechanic class and craft. If that weren't the case what would they have to bargain with at the table? I'm also positive that the iam would be willing to represent them. They could stick them in the local with the LIMO drivers. ;)
...Which begs the question even more: If the IAM is such a stellar organization, well then surely they could provide adequate representation to the other classifications if ( when ) even without mechanics.

Lav Man get a grip the IAM's days are numbered in this industry!!!
The days of the fighting Mashinist are long gone.My first lesson with the IAM was in 1983 when they let LOREZO destroy CONTINENTAL AIRLINES.They tried to save the lettuce cutters jobs at $10.00 an hr back then,I guess not much has changed in twenty years huh.

You stated that Schofield was on the 180 ETOPS verification flight in 1990 this alone shows your full of S**T get you facts strait first, oh thats right your IAM facts aren't part of the equation!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us want AMFA to represnt us. Wait till we vote you will see we won't be CONFUSED AGAIN !!!!!

N617P said:
Lav Man get a grip the IAM's days are numbered in this industry!!!
The days of the fighting Mashinist are long gone.My first lesson with the IAM was in 1983 when they let LOREZO destroy CONTINENTAL AIRLINES.They tried to save the lettuce cutters jobs at $10.00 an hr back then,I guess not much has changed in twenty years huh.

You stated that Schofield was on the 180 ETOPS verification flight in 1990 this alone shows your full of S**T get you facts strait first, oh thats right your IAM facts aren't part of the equation!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us want AMFA to represnt us. Wait till we vote you will see we won't be CONFUSED AGAIN !!!!!
you can forget about your 50% + 1 pal....get used to a non-union shop at U.take it to the bank. :up:

Folks,

First of all, the utility and related are MEMBERS OF THE IAM AND PAY THE DUES TO THE ORGANIZATION.

If the IAM MEMBERS never wanted the cleaners and related to be part of the IAM, THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU PROTEST WHEN THEY WERE BEING ORGANIZED?????

I see that the I A M MEMBERS wanted them to be part of I A M for the dues money but when it comes to REPRESENTATION, NOW YOU WANT TO THROW THEM OUT???

I believe we all should be under one union. So when there is a job action we all walk! There is always strength in numbers. You know as well as I.

The way some of you speak on here against the Union organization, no wonder the company is able to manipulate you and take from you.

YOU HAVE YOUR FRUSTRATIONS CENTERED ON THE WRONG ENTITY! Snap out of it!

Well Bob,

It just is the same old thing. U employees STILL just don't get it yet.

THE ENEMY IS NOT THE UNION/OR LEADERSHIP! The union LEADERS did not ratify these concessions. The union leadership is NOT the one challenging the airbus work, and taking you to task!

Remember, we have to follow the RLA and law. When it happens and if, the court will dicide if it is a major dispute. You all just do your jobs to the T. Cross all your Ts and dot your i. when it comes to any maintenance work. We will all stand together on this one. Rest Assured!

Unity: A Labor Day Message
from IP Tom Buffenbarger
Unity is an abstract ideal. It implies harmony and agreement. And yet, "unity" is neither natural nor commonplace. Whenever individuals act in concert, there is at least one degree of separation. Original intent, enlightened self-interest, individual talents, hopes and aspirations -- all tend to push us apart.

Throw cultural, political and economic differences into the mix and centrifugal forces take over. Like rays from the sun, we spin off in a billion directions. With each passing second, we grow weaker and more distant from our neighbors.

As the separation increases, wedges are driven between us. Walls are built. And, as our isolation becomes ever more apparent, our adversaries pick us off ... one by one until the ideal of unity fades into oblivion.

The opposite occurs in a labor union. There, unity is a concrete concept, one driven by common sense and uncommon selflessness, one made necessary by the forces arrayed against us.

No, our unity is not perfect. A perverse disunity often strikes us at critical moments because we, too, are subject to the cross-pressures in any human endeavor.

But we have found ways to compensate: Sublimating one's own preferences for the good of all; working relentlessly for a mutual benefit; turning defeat and disappointment into determined defiance. We routinely and successfully employ unity to bargain collectively for better wages or less onerous working conditions.

Such unity came at a high cost. And yet, it also produced inordinate benefits.

Just look around. America is a more perfect union because of what this nation's labor movement has fought for: a 40-hour week, paid vacations, health insurance, pensions and, most important, a living wage that enables us to provide for our families.

As we approach Labor Day 2003, let us celebrate our unity and what that unity has given all of us.