The Tale of Two Business Partners…

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
The Tale of Two Business Partners…

US Airways Flying High

Click here

J.P. Morgan Securities: US Airways Group 2Q Estimates Raised/2007 Tax Rate Introduced
• More RASM, More Profits - US Airways consolidated May RASM rose over 25%, nicely ahead of our 20%+ expectation. Additionally, US Airways updated its quarterly and annual non-revenue expectations last night, with no substantive changes. Accordingly, our estimates push higher still this morning, even when incorporating a full embrace of management's 2006 fuel guidance and a full 40% book tax rate in 2007.

• Strong May results, increased RASM bullishness – As reported, consolidated May RASM rose "25%+", with "+" suggesting perhaps as much as 300 basis points based on past precedent. Accordingly, we have pushed our consolidated 2Q RASM estimate from 23.5% to 24.9%, assuming "20%+" trends in June and pushing our 2Q outlook from $2.95 to $3.30, versus consensus $2.88. Similarly, we have boosted our 2H consolidated RASM forecast from 14.7% to 17.9%.

• Our fuel inputs are now consistent with management's - With jet kero prices showing no evidence of softening, we have chosen to embrace the low-end of LCC management's fuel guidance for the remainder of the year, pushing our 2H mainline forecast from $2.10/gallon to $2.28/gallon and all but offsetting improved 2H RASM expectations for the most part (hence only a slight $0.10 change to 2H06 estimates, a phenomenon not necessary unique only to LCC). Recall that management's ex-fuel cost guidance – reiterated last night – is generous by industry standards, assuming roughly $0.60 of earnings variance per quarter. For example, 2Q06 earnings could be as high as $3.60 should management achieve the low-end of ex-fuel CASM, or $3.00 at the high-end of costs.

• 2H06 estimates immaterially changed, 2007 lower on full-tax rate – We have re-introduced a full book tax rate for 2007, diminishing our partially-taxed $11.65 outlook to $8.65 though still meaningfully ahead of $6.39 consensus (itself a likely blend of taxed and un-taxed estimates, though we're not sure).

• LCC still the cheapest airline we can find, $100 still our target – US Airways remains a fundamentally mis-priced equity, in our view, trading at a significant discount to each of its peers. For illustrative purposes, were LCC trading at AMR's 2007 EV/EBITDAR, it would imply a $71 equity value. Continental’s valuation? $104. AirTran’s? $140. JetBlue’s? Don’t get us started (try $333). While integration risk does argue in favor of some level of discount, we believe the market has unfairly penalized US Airways given its need – sometime between now and the end of the decade – to move its pilots onto a single contract. Additionally, we’ve been surprised at the frosty reception we’ve received from certain investors in LCC hub markets, solely on their aversion to flying the airline. No worries, such was the case in New York about a decade ago, when a different airline – also born of consolidation and twice baptized in the waters of bankruptcy - emerged with a meaningful labor cost advantage to its peers. Continental.

Click here

United Airlines Parent Company Posts $306 Million Loss Excluding Reorganization Items

Click here

UAL cost-cutting needed: experts say

Click here

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Nice flamebaiting.

I think from now on, whenever I see an article about any Star Alliance airline, I am going to post it in the US Airways forum for discussion. They are business partners after all. In fact, I might start posting articles about pretty much every airline US interlines with, like AA or DL, since that makes them 'business partners'. Heck, why not any airline that is an ATA or IATA member, that would make them 'business partners' too I would think.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, US has definitely performed much better than I have expected so far. I wonder if they will hit their Q2 targets with the way the website has been performing... can't make money if you can't sell tickets.

Obviously there are other methods to selling tickets. However, the preferred method, by far, for any airline, is to sell using direct distribution through their own website. I'd have to go look to see the stats, but I bet US manages to sell at least 30% of their tickets through US.com.

What booking fee does US pay the GDS when it is booked elsewhere vs. US.com?

Nice flamebaiting.

I think from now on, whenever I see an article about any Star Alliance airline, I am going to post it in the US Airways forum for discussion. They are business partners after all. In fact, I might start posting articles about pretty much every airline US interlines with, like AA or DL, since that makes them 'business partners'. Heck, why not any airline that is an ATA or IATA member, that would make them 'business partners' too I would think.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, US has definitely performed much better than I have expected so far. I wonder if they will hit their Q2 targets with the way the website has been performing... can't make money if you can't sell tickets.
Believe it or not, the website is selling millions of dollars worth of tkts a day. i dont have the exact figures but I heard its pretty unbelievable. We dont have the staffing to support problems but still making lots of money. Anyone have any figues?

I was implying that someone may be being a bit cheap.

There should not be need to go to any other site that charges a fee. If US could charge 5.00 more per booking do you know what that would add up to per day? I'd be willing to bet it would be enough to fix the website and then some. What do you think?

I suspect that is effectively the case except the reverse - saving at least $5 per booking made on the web site. Which is one reason why the problems with the site are disturbing - the more people that end up booking somewhere other than US Airways.com the higher our costs.

Jim

There should not be need to go to any other site that charges a fee. If US could charge 5.00 more per booking do you know what that would add up to per day? I'd be willing to bet it would be enough to fix the website and then some. What do you think?
Sometimes other sites have lower fares and including the 5.00 its still less expensive. Other sites will book OAL 1 way and US the other. Sometimes very creating routing to find the lowest possible fares. Sell alot of last minute seats thru these sites. I think the 5.00 service fee can be worth it and many have been thru identity theft or just dont trust computers to cyberspace hackers. There are still some older folks without computers or they are not comfortable booking online. They like the personal touch. These are some of my favorite customers.

Latest posts