J.p. Morgan Securities

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Equity Research J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. US Airways Group, Inc. - Overweight

Fewer Seats, More RASM, LCC Now Rated Overweight

Fewer seats – Mainline carriers expected to remove more domestic capacity in 2006 than JetBlue will operate. With jet kerosene surging to new highs, the capacity outlook is rapidly improving. Further reductions believed imminent. Thus far, particularly an East Coast phenomenon.

More RASM – Domestic capacity est. -2% in 2006, driven by a 6.6% redux by ATA-reporting carriers. We believe domestic RASM can exceed 2005’s estimated +6.5%, possibly topping 10%. Good news for many, though retreating East Coast carriers (notably DAL, LCC) should benefit more than those with throttles to the firewall (JBLU).

US Airways rated Overweight – US Airways RASM expected to handily exceed that of the industry, allowing for profits provided jet kero retreats below $1.85, assuming only modest ex-fuel cost progress.

Thank you Delta – Pro-forma US Airways overlaps with Delta as much as AirTran, about 15¢ on every forfeited Delta dollar. Additionally, US Airways last week increased its exposure to Delta, filing fares on 4,500+ new DAL-dominated routes. A rapidly retreating competitive backdrop was not part of our initial thesis on US Airways.

It is now…Cash + RASM + Valuation = Overweight – The combination of adequate liquidity (YE05 unrestricted $1.5b) and healthy RASM should allow for occasional integration hic-cups. At an approximate 30% EV/Revenue and 15% EV/EBITDAR discount to the sector, LCC shares are more than adequately discounting merger uncertainty, in our view, and join our short-list of OW-rated names, AAI, ALK, GOL & LUV.

See report

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Not necessarily....read the report. LCC actually looks pretty well positioned due to the pull down of capacity mainly from DL. I didn't see anything in there about NW but I believe that is because LCC has less overlap with them than DL.

funny (in an odd sort of way) a few years back the DAL recovery plan actually was based in part by a signifcant or total retraction (chap7) of USAIRWAYS just as it was about to enter its first bankrupcty. Or if you wish, they were going to recover profitablity from the demise of USAirways. It seems the situation has changed 180 degrees. Just interesting to note. Remember back when it was said (by another airlines employees..) why dont you (usairways) do the industry a favor and just go away already so the rest of us (majors) can survive and get on with it. It would be just wrong to suggest the same thing now.

wouldn't it?

:ph34r:

Were do they get this figure ?? ""US Airways last week increased its exposure to Delta, filing fares on 4,500+ new DAL-dominated routes.""

FWAAA said:
Yesterday, Arpey said that AA paid about $130/bbl for JetA this week, which is over $3/gal.
[post="309844"][/post]​

Notice how many airline executives have started quoting the price of jet fuel by the barrel? Up until a few weeks ago it was only the price of crude oil that got attention. I think this is yet another tactic by management to make the picture look much bleaker and therefore be justified asking for yet another round of concessions. (There are 42 gal/bbl)

gso-crew said:
Were do they get this figure ?? ""US Airways last week increased its exposure to Delta, filing fares on 4,500+ new DAL-dominated routes.""
[post="309973"][/post]​

The number is due to the combining of HP routes with US routes:

Based on this methodology, pro-forma US Airways stands to inherit an estimated 15¢ on every dollar Delta leaves behind. Additionally, by combining the America West and US Airways networks, there are approximately 4,500+ additional markets that US Airways now serves, based on carrier filings made last week. While admittedly unglamorous (i.e. Nashville to Portland, OR), these markets represent an estimated annual industry revenue pool in excess of $600 million. Additionally, Delta is by far the largest carrier in these markets, with an estimated revenue share of 29% vs. second-largest AMR at 19%.

http://pull.jpmorgan-research.com/cgi-bin/...c__06_10_05.pdf

corl737 said:
Notice how many airline executives have started quoting the price of jet fuel by the barrel? Up until a few weeks ago it was only the price of crude oil that got attention. I think this is yet another tactic by management to make the picture look much bleaker and therefore be justified asking for yet another round of concessions. (There are 42 gal/bbl)
[post="309981"][/post]​
That is because the crack spread has widened drastically from hurricane Katrina, not because there is a global conspiracy to screw the common worker.

They aren't making it look bleaker than it actually is. They are making an accurate depiction. Learn the difference.

The price per barrel for crude no longer moves 1:1 with the price of JetA. So, when they talk about the price of JetA instead of Crude, they are being more informative and letting you know what the situation is really about.

If you are certain that all management moves are there just to F**K you over, then logical arguments are a waste of everyone's time.

dc3fanatic said:
If you are certain that all management moves are there just to F**K you over, then logical arguments are a waste of everyone's time.
[post="309986"][/post]​

And if you think they aren't constantly trying to get into labor's pants you have an agenda.

MrAeroMan said:
Not necessarily....read the report. LCC actually looks pretty well positioned due to the pull down of capacity mainly from DL. I didn't see anything in there about NW but I believe that is because LCC has less overlap with them than DL.
[post="309572"][/post]​

I see that USAirways has an opportunity here. If DELTA and NW pull down and decrease capacity, U has an opportunity to go in those markets and use their cash to do so.

Hmm, this sounds good.

Latest posts