The Tech Thread

Who's making light? I just think it's funny. I'd think it was just as funny if it were a Irish, or Norwegian, Grandma! And how do you know I'm not Italian?

So delldude you going to tell use about your TV shopping experience and what you ended up with. Did you get a sound bar? Did the solution I offer for you to hook your FM radio to the soundbar work?

I gotta tell you,been on vacation, 150 feet above the Gulf of Mexico, spending more time than planned in the room due to weather....anyway they have a Samsung 42 or so HDTV in the room and its been an excellent time to check it out. Blacks and detail in it are pretty lame at times....as is most 'bright' colors. It can depend too on different stations and movies vs live. I mean these bright colors over ride detail....like lapels on a suit and so on....been interesting. I was showing her how these things will be so much better on 4k and OLED. This TV is ok but I don't think I'd be real happy over all. Definition on 4k is so much better.

A lot of those details from reading reviews that freak you out reading them, I've seen and now have a good grip on what I want.

Big plan was to get this done for the super bowl......urgency went out the window last weekend.....but real soon will be coming.

Still hung up over 55 inch or 65 inch.....pulling things back from the area it will mount to see, as the living room will change a slight bit furniturewise.....65 seems to be calling me.....LOL

Speaking of TV's a new tech coming out is modular screens. You can buy many and make one display out of them.

Samsung used enough of them to make a 146 inch display....... show offs.

http://bgr.com/2018/01/08/samsung-the-wall-microled-tv/

samsung-the-wall-microled-tv.jpg

My bet..... MicroLED's were probably developed with the intention of making better VR (Virtual Reality) equipment but they needed a large user base right off the bat to launch the things. Phones are small and don't really lend themselves to the modular design capability so...... TV's.

What about 'burn in'? I see these OLEDS are problematic with this, more so than LED/LCD models, especially if you watch stations that like to leave their banners on all the time.

While I was away, that Samsung we had, during the football game, on motion plays, it would pixelate for a second or two.....several times, is this how HDTV's react to motion?

What about 'burn in'? I see these OLEDS are problematic with this, more so than LED/LCD models, especially if you watch stations that like to leave their banners on all the time.

While I was away, that Samsung we had, during the football game, on motion plays, it would pixelate for a second or two.....several times, is this how HDTV's react to motion?
Well burn in is a CRT (cathode ray tube) issue. Which is a result of the breakdown of phosphor when a static image is projected over a long period of time. This does not occur in LED/LCD's.

However LED/LCD do have what they call image persistence. However it would take a very long time of a static display to do this. In fact the chances of you having it on a static image as a home user that long is infinitesimal. There is also the fact that modern TV's have screen savers on them.

I would not even let image persistence be a consideration.

On to the Samsung. Where you watching this on an antenna/satellite or cable? Was it in a specific spot or the entire image? Was it actually pixelation or motion blur?

Well burn in is a CRT (cathode ray tube) issue. Which is a result of the breakdown of phosphor when a static image is projected over a long period of time. This does not occur in LED/LCD's.

However LED/LCD do have what they call image persistence. However it would take a very long time of a static display to do this. In fact the chances of you having it on a static image as a home user that long is infinitesimal. There is also the fact that modern TV's have screen savers on them.

I would not even let image persistence be a consideration.

On to the Samsung. Where you watching this on an antenna/satellite or cable? Was it in a specific spot or the entire image? Was it actually pixelation or motion blur?

Direct TV.

This image issue is particular to the new OLED/QLED set up.....more so than LED/LCD.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

From the article you posted.

Not a question but a prediction; CNN @ 200 Nits: No noticeable burn in after 300 hours cumulative (3 weeks) but evident burn-in before 1000 hours cumulative (7 weeks) CNN @ 380 Nits: Evident burn-in by 300 hours cumulative and possibly as early as 200 hours cumulative (2 weeks) Football: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative Live General: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative FIFA Gameplay: don't know the game (or brightness setting) so no prediction Call of Duty WWII: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative You guys are the best for testing for burn-in in very pseudo-realistic ways - keep up the great work! p.s. please tell us the brightness setting (and eventually OLED Light setting) for all 6 tests, not just the first two CNN tests.

Are you REALLY going to leave your TV on a static image for 200 cumulative hours?

Delldude I am telling you.... you are blowing this burn in thing way out of proportion. I honestly would not give it a second thought.

As far as the issue with the pixelation, it is not unusual to see issues like that when using satellite or over the air antenna as the signal is wireless and prone to interference. I am not presenting that as a definitive answer however. Without seeing it in person I have to make an assumption based off of limited information.

I do not have an issue with motion blur but my TV has a higher refresh rate (120). I am guessing the TV you were watching refreshes at 60 Hz. If you want 3D you might as well go for a 240 Hz TV.

Last edited:
From the article you posted.

Not a question but a prediction; CNN @ 200 Nits: No noticeable burn in after 300 hours cumulative (3 weeks) but evident burn-in before 1000 hours cumulative (7 weeks) CNN @ 380 Nits: Evident burn-in by 300 hours cumulative and possibly as early as 200 hours cumulative (2 weeks) Football: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative Live General: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative FIFA Gameplay: don't know the game (or brightness setting) so no prediction Call of Duty WWII: No evidence of burn-in after 1000 hours cumulative You guys are the best for testing for burn-in in very pseudo-realistic ways - keep up the great work! p.s. please tell us the brightness setting (and eventually OLED Light setting) for all 6 tests, not just the first two CNN tests.

Are you REALLY going to leave your TV on a static image for 200 cumulative hours?

Delldude I am telling you.... you are blowing this burn in thing way out of proportion. I honestly would not give it a second thought.

As far as the issue with the pixelation, it is not unusual to see issues like that when using satellite or over the air antenna as the signal is wireless and prone to interference. I am not presenting that as a definitive answer however. Without seeing it in person I have to make an assumption based off of limited information.

I do not have an issue with motion blur but my TV has a higher refresh rate (120). I am guessing the TV you were watching refreshes at 60 Hz. If you want 3D you might as well go for a 240 Hz TV.

Welcome to Dudethink :.
giphy.gif

Dad was an Electrical design engineer...some things may have rubbed off......alot of the time we operate by the WTF principle.

I haven't seen the so called image blur yet and wondered if that was what that was, I have several dishes and am quite familiar with pixelating.

Ever tell you about the time the mice ate through my RG-6 and when the sun would be on one side of the shed where the dish was, it would move the cable ever so slightly where they chewed through and a teeny piece of the shielding would ground out the center wire? What a PIA to troubleshoot.

Then there's the Vultures who like to hang out and soar in the path of my dish...

It could have been the continual flights of Pelicans over the hotel too. 6-8 at a time in formation....all day.

I got an older Roku, don't think its quite up to speed anymore. It was when they first come out, was the only way to get Glenn Beck.....Becks on Dish now for some time.....wasn't a whole lot of stuff on hulu then. Wow has it grown.

Latest posts

Back