There Goes Todays Pay (Down the Toilet)

You all know that when you spend 25-30 years with Usairways that has always been a "career" it is easier said than done to find adequate work elsewhere when your up in age and no one else wants the liability. So to say go out and look for work elsewhere when you are over 45 years of age and higher is a real slap in the face. Sounds easy? It isn't! All we can do is push and squeeze any available dollar into our 401K accounts to retire without relying on food stamps and cat food. We all believed that our company would follow through on their promises to the work force and let us all leave in peace. Rather, they opted to lynch every single one of us that has been dedicated for most of our lives to get our company to where it is today. We all vent on these threads with hopes that someone in the sandcastle is listenting, can see we are the force behind the profits and pray that one day we will be treated with the dignity and the respect we deserve. Without our vigilence throughout our careers the executives of this board would not be where they are today or reap the profits we all broke our a$$es to stuff in their greedy, dirty , little pockets. Our reward is giving us a job to do without the efficient tools to do it with and we STILL FIND A WAY even though they leave us stark naked. Our customers and families all respect our dedication and at this point all we can do is continue what we are doing to the best of our ability.
Most seniors do coach the younger group (through attrition) to think of their jobs as a side job and constantly push each and everyone of them to better their education and go on to a more fufilling career where their next company will appreciate them and treat them with the respect we DON'T get with USAIRWAYS!

You all know that when you spend 25-30 years with Usairways that has always been a "career" it is easier said than done to find adequate work elsewhere when your up in age and no one else wants the liability. So to say go out and look for work elsewhere when you are over 45 years of age and higher is a real slap in the face. Sounds easy? It isn't!

With all due respect we all make choices. If you make a choice to stay at a company for 30 years and make it your career choice then one must be willing to accept the repercusions!

Why did people stay? Well for many it was a good paying job with stability and benefits for little in return as far as educational requirements. That is why they stayed. If the job payed $12.00 max then people would not have stayed and would have sought out employment elsewhere that was more lucrative, or went back to school.

So now people are over 40 and unhappy with their situation (and pay) and blame it on everyone but themselves. No one, and no company owes anyone a living. At 40 it is not to late to go back to school and start another career. Maybe a bit painful at first but doable!

Fmerresrat looks like you yourself had a senior moment on this thread. Why don't you post some of these jobs for us to take a look at! Incredible, half of us cannot walk without pain because of the injuries sustained on the job. It is a little difficult what you call "doable" to even pay our living expenses that we have to work more hours for and its laughable to go back to school when half of the seniors are in the middle of trying to put our kids through college. Oh, excuse me son, I must take you out of college for four years so dad can go first. Like I said before, better said than done.

I’d say Fmerresrat is one of those globalization people who believe in continual education until you die…. Oh yah that sounds fun , I want to attend school to start a new career and then as soon as I graduate , it will get out sourced and I’ll have to go back to school again , all the while paying my way through it . On the outset the whole notion of “continuous education “ sounds very “romantic “ and some people love to throw it in our faces saying that Americans should seek to continually advance their education but somewhere along the line I think we’ve forgotten that part of life involves just LIVING and not this constant all consuming competitiveness that’s taking over our economy …

Goldenram you post like a Mgr. or Union official, your answer of 11hrs. !!!!
is not an answer but a post of someone who seems out of touch with the workers.[/b]
Really out of touch. If everyone followed your way of thought they'd leave and
let the company fail. Some wish to stay and fix matters that seem to need fixing.

''The Times They Are A Changin' ''

bob

I just find it amazing that a person is complaining about the cost of living when they are not even working a full-time job! Suck it up and do some real work, sure you may have lost full-time status at US, but there are many other opportunities out there. I have ZERO Compassion for a person who whines about their plight without trying to do anything to change it!

You all know that when you spend 25-30 years with Usairways that has always been a "career" it is easier said than done to find adequate work elsewhere when your up in age and no one else wants the liability. So to say go out and look for work elsewhere when you are over 45 years of age and higher is a real slap in the face. Sounds easy? It isn't!
If you are really so unhireable everywhere else, and too old / decrepit / unskilled (or whatever you were implying that makes it so hard to seek employment elsewhere) so that no other employer would ever want you, perhaps you should at least be thankful for what you have at LCC?

We all believed that our company would follow through on their promises to the work force and let us all leave in peace. Rather, they opted to lynch every single one of us that has been dedicated for most of our lives to get our company to where it is today.
Where did you ever get the idea that an employer owes you lifetime employment with no changes to pay or benefits? That is an unrealistic view of the world.

Fmerresrat looks like you yourself had a senior moment on this thread. Why don't you post some of these jobs for us to take a look at! Incredible, half of us cannot walk without pain because of the injuries sustained on the job. It is a little difficult what you call "doable" to even pay our living expenses that we have to work more hours for and its laughable to go back to school when half of the seniors are in the middle of trying to put our kids through college. Oh, excuse me son, I must take you out of college for four years so dad can go first. Like I said before, better said than done.

Ok so you can't go back to school. But you still made the choice to take an unskilled job that you knew could change. Now admit that it was pretty good when it was good. Good money, overtime, flight benefits, flexibility, medical. You don't seem to get the point that you make life choices (good or bad) and then have to live with them. Don't blame the company, the economy, the customers. . . look in the mirror and take responsibility for your life, and your actions. Quit whining!

As one of the easties that got sacrificed in 05, I would like to share some of my experiences in finding a new job:
1- The grass is not always greener on the other side.
2- Getting a bachelors degree at 45 is not as important as your professional accomplishments.
3- The Vendor side of the business is brutal, frustating and without recognition.
4. Plenty of civilian jobs in Iraq, could be the next green pasture.

JR

Why don't you post some of these jobs for us to take a look at!

You should take some time and look for yourself. It is not easy but it is not impossible.

its laughable to go back to school when half of the seniors are in the middle of trying to put our kids through college. Oh, excuse me son, I must take you out of college for four years so dad can go first. Like I said before, better said than done.

Maybe you should have gone to college/trade school when you first hired on as a backup for later. I did. I left in '05 after 35 years in this business and with two kids in college. I saw the writing on the wall. This company was never going to pay any better for what I did. I knew if I didn't leave I would regret it. I am now employed again with more pay and benefits. I did make a mistake by not leaving sooner.

On paying for your kids college........maybe they could pay for it. Nothing wrong with that.

You should take some time and look for yourself. It is not easy but it is not impossible.

Maybe you should have gone to college/trade school when you first hired on as a backup for later. I did. I left in '05 after 35 years in this business and with two kids in college. I saw the writing on the wall. This company was never going to pay any better for what I did. I knew if I didn't leave I would regret it. I am now employed again with more pay and benefits. I did make a mistake by not leaving sooner.

On paying for your kids college........maybe they could pay for it. Nothing wrong with that.

Congrats to you for being pro active and realizing you are in charge of your life, how much money you make and your happiness.

There is nothing wrong with staying in a job but stop whining and complaining and blaming everyone for your situation. You can either make a change or accept it. Simple choice.

PLEASE! Just deal with the Preasant! Who cares where you came from or where you should be going or shoud've gone. Right NOW! is what needs to be dealt with. Right now! is where this airline needs to be. And, right now is going to be too late for "should have been done" immediately with the merger. At this point, all parties in both sides of the AWA/US AIRWAYS need to be recognised and rewarded and spend what needs to be spent to appear ahead of the others. Stop SNIVELING! Otherwise! Save wasting your breathe!