Airline Captain Retirement Thoughts:

I have no idea why this U whiner had an Eastern uniform in his closet......

------------------------Well I guess you just showed your length of service in this industry nowdidnt you, or would that be "Lack there of",,,,,,,,,Eastern went out of business, their pilots sought employment elsewhere, in this gentlemen's case United......

If you dont know your history your destined to repeat it...........Maybe you'd like a job working for a nice fellow named Lorenzo..........

I think a great Union/Seniority allegory is Baseball.
In Professional Baseball there is A, AA, AAA and the Major Leagues.
If their union was structured like traditional unions to get from A ball to the Majors would only matter on how long you are in the league, not how good a ball player you are. When a Major leaguer retired the oldest guys at AAA would move up, the oldest at AA and A. Once at the Majors you would (as long as you met the basic requirements that even all the guys in A ball meet) have a job until the retirement age. How successful would that model be for Major League Baseball? For most any other businesses? Lets face it is a horrible system and a bad way of doing business. It does not even benefit the people that it is designed to help, the rank and file! It benefits two constituencies only: Union leaders and Politicians!

And everyone (Customers, Employees, Investors) are entraped by the system. I do not understand why so many will defend the indefensable!

Professional sports have so little in common with any other profession that your comparison is irrelevant.

In pro sports each individual has their own contract. A blind eye is turned when allegations of drug use, or other behavior is alleged as long as the steroid enhanced "athlete" has the forearm strength of a chimpanzee or the legs of a thouroghbred.

How well would that model work for pilots? I could just imagine the negotiation now as the company sat across the table from the pilot and said "well Captain Quickfly, we were disapointed you went to jail for dogfighting, but all those drugs you take have given you beter than 20/10 vision, your on time record is 100% thanks to the amphetamines, and you can land an airplane in a hurricane smoother than 100 year old scotch, probably because of it., therefore we would like to renew your contract for another 5 years. We are trading Captain Mechanical due to his insistance on aircraft repair, so you can have his locker, what do you say?"

But, back to the UAL pilot I have 2 comments.

1. union/seniority did not ruin the pilot profession during this persons career. That is the result of many factors precipitating from a free market.

and

2.Sears? really? That is a better gig than actually retireing? I need to look into that.

If you dont know your history your destined to repeat it...........Maybe you'd like a job working for a nice fellow named Lorenzo..........

He has a job working for a nice fellow named Lorenzo...or at least Lorenzo's clone.

And like so many of those who worked for the original Lorenzo, they worship at the feet of one who held nothing but contempt for their profession and very being.

------------------------Well I guess you just showed your length of service in this industry nowdidnt you, or would that be "Lack there of",,,,,,,,,Eastern went out of business, their pilots sought employment elsewhere, in this gentlemen's case United......

No, I was giving this whiner the benefit of the doubt. There were many honorable Eastern pilots who refused to be accomplices with Lorenzo and his eviceration of a great airline and made a sacrifice no USAirways pilot could even think of making. There were also many "pirates" (to avoid a cornfield comment) who took their sacrifice and used it for their opportunity.

That third rail shocks a little, don't it?

He has a job working for a nice fellow named Lorenzo...or at least Lorenzo's clone.

And like so many of those who worked for the original Lorenzo, they worship at the feet of one who held nothing but contempt for their profession and very being.

I hate to point out that the east's clinging to LOA93 out of spite for their fellowworkers has done more to enrich the so-called clone of Lorenzo ( a comment that in itself proves how little appreciation for the depth of destruction Frank Lorenzo actually did) than anything.

The rEAL Eastern pilots showed integrity, courage and sacrifice. While the Eastern pilots picked up their flightbags, US pilots pick up open time. If US pilots could understand what shame was, they would be consumed by it.

This UAL poser is a crybaby. I can't believe there are 3 sentences, much less three pages devoted to this empty uniform.

There were many honorable Eastern pilots who refused to be accomplices with Lorenzo and his eviceration of a great airline and made a sacrifice no USAirways pilot could even think of making.

Funny that you should even mention that. Heck; I've got an old (Blue Card) EAL uniform still hanging around. Do keep putting forth more obvious knowledge and wisdom about history. In any case; Ive not the slightest doubt that your opinion of "No, I was giving this whiner the benefit of the doubt" would truly matter a very great deal to that man....or anyone else with any actual clue. :lol:

Funny that you should even mention that. Heck; I've got an old (Blue Card) EAL uniform still hanging around. Do keep putting forth more obvious knowledge and wisdom about history. In any case; Ive not the slightest doubt that your opinion of "No, I was giving this whiner the benefit of the doubt" would truly matter a very great deal to that man....or anyone else with any actual clue. :lol:

Really? So you have a DOH at US post 1989? That's an honorable sacrifice you made by honoring the IAM strike.

You did, didn't you?

Really? So you have a DOH at US post 1989? That's an honorable sacrifice you made by honoring the IAM strike.

You did, didn't you?

Nope. I left the once truly "Great Silver Fleet" long before that...and long before you even started flying I'd guess. personally...I'd offer the suggestion of just sticking to things one actually knows anything at all about. Just a thought.

I'd like to see a Southwest pilot write a letter about retirement and see the stark contrasts to a legacy pilot retirement thoughts like the one being discussed here.

Nope. I left the once truly "Great Silver Fleet" long before that...and long before you even started flying I'd guess. personally...I'd offer the suggestion of just sticking to things one actually knows anything at all about. Just a thought.
What, no smiley?

Your "guess" is way off, but I'll let it slide.

Don't let the anonymity of some chat board lead you to make foolish comments.

Just a suggestion. ;)

I'd like to see a Southwest pilot write a letter about retirement and see the stark contrasts to a legacy pilot retirement thoughts like the one being discussed here.

Give it ten years and the letter will be much the same.

Your "guess" is way off, but I'll let it slide.

Don't let the anonymity of some chat board lead you to make foolish comments.

Just a suggestion. ;)

1) I very much doubt that.

2) Fair enough. I'll leave the making of clearly foolish/idiotic/utterly childish comments, such as addressing an unknown retiring captain as a "whiner"/etc, ...to those with proven expertise in that area.

3) I'll stand by the suggestion that one should limit their postings to subjects they might actually know even the very first thing about. (Tell us all about EAL again, just for example) Clearly, anyone, regardless of however clueless, can forward a big mouth on the internet. :rolleyes:

Latest posts