There is nothing new here, but...

Back to the merger speculation.....Everyone seems to think that UA-CO will merge which will leave US out to dry. It seems to be the better option is for CO-US to merge. We are the two smallest carriers of the remaining Legacy's and UA is big enough to stand alone. This would leave four strong large airlines....DL, AA, UA and (US or CO)...which ever name survives...This union would likely drop either EWR or PHL and keep the other one but would still have DCA, CLT, IAH and PHX...A good structure to build with.

That's possible, but I wonder which would be the management team that sticks around.

It would definately be Co management . They seem to know what they are doing up there in EWR. But a merger of US-CO is nothing more than a pipe dream . Trust me, I would love nothing more but for this airline to get together with CO but I don't see it happenig . But hey, Anything can happen .

It would definately be Co management . They seem to know what they are doing up there in EWR. But a merger of US-CO is nothing more than a pipe dream . Trust me, I would love nothing more but for this airline to get together with CO but I don't see it happenig . But hey, Anything can happen .

If it leads to Dougie Poo and Scotty Do getting the perp walk out of Tempe the day the CO/US merger takes place then I say MERGE BABY MERGE

Are we looking too far/ too big? When airlines induce merging, we automatically assume Merg Big with Big in order to get Bigger. We sometimes forget that filling the gaps can be better than overlapping routes to just have to give some back to the government.

" US Airways, the fifth largest U.S. airline, is not interested in merging with a foreign airline, Kerr said, because that would not cut capacity in the domestic market.

"I don't think that will make a difference," he said. "Domestic is where there is too much fragmentation and there are too many airlines."

Enter " Rjet" ( Republic ). They posted a 20 million profit 4th Q while everyone else lost.
They are ordering 80 138 seat canadian aircraft as well as buying US 190's. Maybe US knows thay are going to get them back thru consolidation. I think there is a real possibility here and could fill the central U.S. void. All the Big 1-5 talk just might be a smoke screen.

FWIW :rolleyes: