Us Gets Screwed Yet Again

diogenes said:
you can't serve Smallville AND have WN fares
Yup. But what is becoming increasingly clear is that Smallville doesn't want to pay the difference between WN fares and US fares in order to get local service.

ringmaruf said:
And AS relies on AA for connections over LAX.
AS provides its own service from LAX to many cities on the west coast, including some in Mexico. US provides no service from SFO except to its hubs.

ringmaruf said:
And AS relies on AA for connections over LAX.
AS relies on AA/Eagle for a few connect points... But AS/Horizon can offer online connections between DCA and RNO, PDX, EUG, MFR, BOI, YYC, Mexico via LAX, as well as the others provided by AA/Eagle.

US Airways relies 100% on UAL for feed at SFO.

Also, US Airways has a substantial slot portfolio at DCA, and this legislation is clearly aimed at those with little or no service. Even UAL only has 10 or so flights from DCA to ORD, and that's it. Meanwhile, AS has 1 flight/day to DCA, and 3 flights/day from the DC area.

Other topic:

Does anyone know why LGA-DEN is grandfathered into LGA's perimeter rule, yet DCA-DEN was not grandfathered into DCA's perimeter rule?

funguy2 said:
AS relies on AA/Eagle for a few connect points... But AS/Horizon can offer online connections between DCA and RNO, PDX, EUG, MFR, BOI, YYC, Mexico via LAX, as well as the others provided by AA/Eagle.

US Airways relies 100% on UAL for feed at SFO.

Also, US Airways has a substantial slot portfolio at DCA, and this legislation is clearly aimed at those with little or no service. Even UAL only has 10 or so flights from DCA to ORD, and that's it. Meanwhile, AS has 1 flight/day to DCA, and 3 flights/day from the DC area.

Other topic:

Does anyone know why LGA-DEN is grandfathered into LGA's perimeter rule, yet DCA-DEN was not grandfathered into DCA's perimeter rule?
Because one is a local restriction that has Federal approval and the other is a Federal restriction. They developed separately.

TJoe:

The 156-seat limit was in place at DCA for a while after 9/11, but IIRC it was removed at some point in mid-2002.

Maybe U didn’t get any slots because everyone is tired of U’s price gauging. I know I am. Most of the carriers who received these slots are LCC’s.

bankernclt said:
Maybe U didn’t get any slots because everyone is tired of U’s price gauging. I know I am. Most of the carriers who received these slots are LCC’s.
Thank you.

US didn't deserve any beyond permiter slots. You're already by far the largest carrier at DCA. You're not a price leader, you're a price follower. Aside from connectivity, where is the benefit to consumers? UA applied for their cities too, so if the DOT were to award for connectivity, one would hope it would be to the airline that actually provides it with their own service. Yes, AS won a slot based partially on codeshare connectivity, but they have a new pricing structure that is much more consumer friendly.

USFlyer said:
... Second, the DOT just awarded US codeshare rights via LH to TLV, beating out many other "stronger" carriers...
FWIW, Delta has filed a request for reconsideration of the Tel Aviv authority. UAIR may still get the award, but Delta's filing will serve to delay it and thus delay UAIR's ability to book revenue for an extra month or so.

Since most of you ostensibly know the history around here, what I find really shocking is the amount of surprise expressed at the awards. Chattanooga! What an airline! If it wasn't so sad, It'd be funny.

I have never done anything on a grass roots level in terms of supporting my airline, but this time I actually sat down and wrote a letter to Secretary Norm Manetta to support United's application for DCA-SFO authority. I am not trying to be a United cheerleader but United would have provided the best connections by far than any other carrier in the running for DCA-westcoast service. United would've been able to offer one stop service via SFO to places like Sydney, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai, Beijing, as well as Hawaii. Not to mention intra-California and westcoast connections. I will hand it to Alaska...they ran a very savvy grass roots campaign and provided a link on their website where passengers could send an online letter in support of their application. Alaska has a very loyal customer base and they did just that. Still, I am disappointed that neither airline was awarded DCA-SFO rights.

General question on these slot exemptions --

Why is DCA so special? LGA doesn't get new 1500 mile exemptions. If you want to fly further, you go to JFK.

DAL doesn't get new Wright Amendment exemptions. If you want to fly further, you go to DFW.

When you're talking about flying from Washington, DC to Australia, what difference does it make whether you fly out of IAD or DCA on a trip that is an entire day long in each direction?

Dont you think that all the negitive press the Dave puts out daily that we are finished has something to do with all this. If the ones awarding the routes take Daves threats that we will be finished by July, why bother and give them to a airline that can do the job. Maybe we could add more passengers on the Titanic and possibly a stop in the Bahama's. Dave needs to quit complaining and work on getting this airline out of trouble. Just do it

Latest posts