Third-World Mechanics Paid $2 Per Hour For Boeing, Airbus Jet Repairs

Totally disgusting!! How is this allowed by the same FAA that crawled up our #$^ about wiring being an inch off? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

EXACTLY!
This is beyond belief that the same FAA that we all know and have to appease here in the US, would ALLOW a foreign outfit to perform maintenance on US carriers aircraft! I point the finger squarely at the pathetic FAA for this tragedy.
Just incredible the double standards in this industry! Straight up BS!.
Just makes my blood boil...

And on another semi related note, spotted this article and thought it would somewhat lend crediblity to Bobs assertion of the pool of skilled workers is evaporating.
I've maintained for some time, in a few short years(give or take), IMO the carriers are going to be HURTING for qualified(key word) mechanics to work on thse planes.
Article snip:
"A generational replacement cycle is taking hold as companies such as General Electric Co., Norfolk Southern Corp., Boeing Co., American Electric Power Co. Inc. and Dominion Resources Inc. all try to hire skilled younger staff to prepare for a wave of retiring workers... Companies such as Chicago-based Boeing, where the average age is in the “high 40s,” according to senior vice president Rick Stephens, are trying to change that... The world’s second-largest aircraft maker will hire 1,500 to 2,500 engineers this year, some right out of college, and is boosting its intern program to 1,100 from 900 in 2009. Around 2 percent of Boeing’s 164,495 workers retire each year, and that number is likely to increase, Stephens said"

And on another semi related note, spotted this article and thought it would somewhat lend crediblity to Bobs assertion of the pool of skilled workers is evaporating.
I've maintained for some time, in a few short years(give or take), IMO the carriers are going to be HURTING for qualified(key word) mechanics to work on thse planes.
Article snip:
"A generational replacement cycle is taking hold as companies such as General Electric Co., Norfolk Southern Corp., Boeing Co., American Electric Power Co. Inc. and Dominion Resources Inc. all try to hire skilled younger staff to prepare for a wave of retiring workers... Companies such as Chicago-based Boeing, where the average age is in the “high 40s,” according to senior vice president Rick Stephens, are trying to change that... The world’s second-largest aircraft maker will hire 1,500 to 2,500 engineers this year, some right out of college, and is boosting its intern program to 1,100 from 900 in 2009. Around 2 percent of Boeing’s 164,495 workers retire each year, and that number is likely to increase, Stephens said"

Its starting but the window may be short.

http://www.cygnusinteractive.com/artsheet/v2/2011/1494922/

I know that none of my kids have any interest in Aviation. Too many trips back and forth to the airport hoping to get out on standby and a father that had to work two jobs to get by.

I know that none of my kids have any interest in Aviation. Too many trips back and forth to the airport hoping to get out on standby and a father that had to work two jobs to get by.
great AA is hiring A&P Mechanics, not to hire more workers, but to replace us.

we are really moving forward fast

Bob, I just don't think there's going be near the qualified mechs available to meet this industrys needs.
I don't see the interest out there in the young people to even make them remotely interested commercial aviation. Back when I was growing up, it was pretty cool to tinker with cars, motorcycles(did most of my own maint on my dirt bikes) and the like-which developes a guys dexterity/skills. Just no interest from the younger crowd in this area.

I really do think the carriers are going to have a helluva time in the not too distant future(finding people they actually would want to hire)to work on these planes.
Then again...my phone hasn't been ringing too much. Like to think it's a matter of time. (Lord, please... :(
Or maybe they're steering clear of the older crowd. Ya know, we have attitudes(translation: we're hip to what the hell's been going on in this industry) :p

On a related note.... the massive Evergreen overhaul and storage facility in Marana was sold yesterday to a private equity firm from Virginia.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=mro&id=news/awx/2011/06/01/awx_06_01_2011_p0-329959.xml

Why buy an overhaul base if all the work is going overseas?... Do these guys know something that Bob doesn't?

On a related note.... the massive Evergreen overhaul and storage facility in Marana was sold yesterday to a private equity firm from Virginia.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=mro&id=news/awx/2011/06/01/awx_06_01_2011_p0-329959.xml

Why buy an overhaul base if all the work is going overseas?... Do these guys know something that Bob doesn't?
The buyer, Relativity Capital aquires healthy and distressed businesses. Wonder which category Evergreen fell into? I'll bet Joyce Johnson and Brian Lee, both of Relativity who sit on the BOD of Evergreen would know.

BTW, this hardly qualifies as a o/h base. The only thing massive about it is acres and acres of desert space to store aircraft with very limited space for hangar maintenance.

I used to live just down the road from there. They've got one wide body hangar which does 747 MBVs, and two or three narrow body hangars. And unlike most airports, they certainly have more room for building hangars if they chose to.

I used to live just down the road from there. They've got one wide body hangar which does 747 MBVs, and two or three narrow body hangars. And unlike most airports, they certainly have more room for building hangars if they chose to.
Sorry, it just takes a lot more to impress a guy that works at a base with enough hangar space to accommodate 25-30 docks, space under roof to house every imaginable support shop from avionics components to engines and parts warehousing, not to mention off base wiring and composite centers. If there ever was an airport in an area with a relatively low cost of living, centrally located in the U.S., with plenty of room for expansion, I think it would be Tulsa. (This message was not, but could have been provided by the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce.)

<_< ------ Hey!------- it seems old O/H Bases are a dime a dozen these days! I know of one they could have gotten cheap!!! ;)

The problem with TUL is the fact it is in Oklahoma... Tornados, hail, ice storms...

TUS has at least 300 days of sunshine, extremely low humidity, and a reasonable quality of life & cost of living. Very little in terms of weather or natural disasters to contend with... Relatively easy to work outside except for July/August...

Whether or not it impresses anyone isn't really important Evergreen saw no problem doing their overhauls there. If there is money to be made doing component work, I suspect you'd see more places with that being insourced but it seems that even the chop shops don't want that work...

Will be interesting to see if the new owners try to expand it or not. It's a good location.. Private airfield that has no other tenants except the AZ Army Reserves, right off I-10 with a dedicated exit for easy truck access, and access to the UPRR if they ever wanted to consider shipping engines or other components via rail...

Recovery and growth – The rebound from the recession—and companies’ relative success in managing the last market cycle—is what … the airframe maintenance, repair and overhaul business reveals most acutely. Openings and closings, growth and stagnation, strategy shifts and continued consolidation over the last two years have impacted the major players in the business…. Airframe maintenance is a labor-intensive, low-margin business compared to, say, high-tech engine overhaul. And due to ferry costs, not to mention the price of fuel, aircraft tend to stay close to home for structural checks. That is why we consider airframe maintenance a useful indicator of certain trends. First, it highlights consolidation efforts by companies that aim to capitalize on volume to turn low margins into good profits. These conglomerates are changing the landscape of the MRO business. Second, it highlights world regions where air travel and subsequent MRO activities are on the rise. And finally, airframe maintenance is a good gauge for economic recovery…. (Aviation Week)

Latest posts

Back