This Is Just Like United!

mrfish3726

Veteran
Jul 7, 2004
This is such a gas, as UniTED management cries foul over competition.

United takes heat in Moline, Ill. … That's where officials and consultants are accusing United of using "strong-arm tactics" to scuttle a grant the local Quad City International Airport hopes to use to lure flights to the West. Quad City officials were attempting to secure an $850,000 Small Community Air Service Development Program grant from the Department of Transportation that would have been used as a "safety-net fund" to help lower the risk for low-cost carrier Frontier to add service to Denver. Airport officials say they only sought Frontier's service because United was not receptive to the Western flights. "My goal for the grant, since United wouldn't do anything for me, was to go to an alternative," airport director Bruce Carter tells the Quad City Times.

"The alternative for Denver is Frontier. I put the grant in because I thought I had a pretty decent plan to get additional service to the West. In the past, United has been pretty nonchalant about wanting to add another flight to that market." But, United sent a strongly worded letter to the DOT complaining the agency "is allowing the use of tax money to influence decision making that should be determined by competitive factors." That, in turn, that drew a sharp response from Michael Boyd, CEO of the consulting group that helped put together Quad City's grant request. "They (United) just don't want to have competition," he said. "The most appalling thing is the Quad City airport has gone to United repeatedly and asked for more westbound service and Untied has refused to do it," Boyd says. "Then, Quad-Cities goes to get more service and United cries foul." Posted 7:40 a.m.

dc3fanatic,

How many Small Community Air Service Development Program grants does UniTED have?????? All airlines have them, doesn't matter if your BIG or SMALL, they all have them!!!!

FLY says "WHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" that is so funny :D ! I can remember back, WAY back when DIA was being built. The first airline to sign on to DIA was Continental and they signed a lease on concourse A. Man did UniTED whine and cry when that happened :blink: They wanted Denver to close in the glass on the bridge so that the UniTED customers using the bridge didn't see Continental airplanes. Its a good thing that DIA told them to go get bent!!!!

Fish, you are so far out of your league, it's not even funny.

The real reason that Moline did not receive a SCASDP grant from DOT, despite the whining by both the city and Boyd, is that Moline is served by five different airlines (AA, DL, FL, NW and UA) with nonstop flights to nine different hub cities (ATL, CVG, DEN, DFW, DTW, MCO, MEM, MSP and ORD) scattered around the country. This is not the kind of community that this program was aimed at. Besides, I didn't read that Moline offered United a similar subsidy.

And regarding United's complaint to DOT (which was supported by Delta), it was questioning why the Federal government would subsidize competitive nonstop service in a market. It seems that United noticed a pattern where Boyd convinced several cities in the Midwest and West over the past few years that they should apply for one of these SCASDP grants for new Frontier service to Denver in markets where United was already operating nonstop service without subsidy. The most eggregious example of this was in Fresno, where Boyd somehow convinced DOT to give the community a grant of approximately $1 million last year for Frontier service to Denver despite United offering four daily nonstop CRJ round trips in the market. IMHO, it's not difficult to understand United's concern.

So the issue isn't that United doesn't want competition. Rather, it's that they simply don't want that competition to be subsidized by the Federal government. And Moline, Frontier and Boyd are whining because they got caught with their hands in the proverbial "cookie jar," trying to get a Federal grant that was not deserved.

Cosmo,

The article didn't say anything about Frontier doing any whinning! It did stae that they want Frontier to serve Moline PERIOD!

There was no quote from F9 there FLY, just UniTED whining is all!!!! AHHH competition from Frontier (edited by moderator- a little class and decorum too much to ask for?) is all UniTED can cry about!!!!

Let them have Moline. There is NOTHING going on in Moline except John Deere. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. Micheal Boyd is saying whatever he needs to in support of whoever pays his bills.

Fish - it's a sad day when you have to resort to articles about Moline, Illinois. Hey, you can have Rockford and Peoria too. You guys will get rich going there.

Maddog also says WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Nothing runs like a Deere.