This Is Just Like United!

Fish, and all this time I thought you were a guy. If you had some health insurance, maybe you could afford some cream for your problem.

Is Frontier so broke that they can't compete on even terms with their competition? I didn't know it was so bad over there--that a grant keeps them from entering new markets--go figure.

How many grants does UniTED have RAT???? I bet UniTED has a few themselves as all airlines do???? Frontier didn't put in for the grant Moline did, because UniTED wouldn't give them the service they requested! The grants were set up for ALL airlines to make sure they don't enter a losing proposition. UniTED has a lot of those themselves!!!!

Fish,
It seems that UA is pretty much funding Denver's Hometown Airport--DIA (no grants there)--unlike the sweetheart deal F9 has. Like Fly said, can you post some specifics, or are you seeing these grants as 'visions' induced by chemistry?

One more question: Does the FAA drug test monkey trainers?

mrfish3726 said:
How many grants does UniTED have RAT???? I bet UniTED has a few themselves as all airlines do???? Frontier didn't put in for the grant Moline did, because UniTED wouldn't give them the service they requested! The grants were set up for ALL airlines to make sure they don't enter a losing proposition. UniTED has a lot of those themselves!!!!
[post="303385"][/post]​

Please provide proof of any grants UAL has.

I'd think that Chapter 11 for 3 years could be considered "Grant" status :p :p :p

Bruce Carter is a great guy.... and he's right.. United has pulled down those flights. Used to be operated twice daily with BAE 146-200/300s and coupled with PIA would board about 2000 a month out of PIA and 3000 a month out of MLI.. so we're at 5,000 boardings a month, divided by 30, is 166 a day, or 83 pax a flight. Not bad for a route with 88 and 100 seater planes on.

Now its down to a single CRJ out of MLI with 50 seats. HUH. Seems like United did their familiar "hub shuffle" to keep people from flying via DEN and routed them thru ORD.

Btw, I know the loads of these flights as I used to ground handle them in PIA. Also wanted to note that Bruce Carter is the former PIA Airport Director. So he's quite familiar with Air Wisky and has been the best of friends with Geoff Crowley & copmany...

The Landing Fees in Denver are higher than ORD, so it makes sense to route passengers through ORD when demand doesn't fill a 737--unless its at Christmas time. That's the kind of service people who support LCCs should expect. It's not the 70's anymore! Airlines simply can't afford to lose 20 seats per leg in the name of service (it's what the public has demanded by supporting wholesale fare structures)--you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Cosmo is dead on that all of these grants to airlines to start service to a community is bad - not just for airlines but for everyone involved. As a consumer, I want services that are paid for by the consumer and not subsidized by a bunch of people that will never use the service. One airline will win one day but another will win the next. It's a recipe that sets up one community against another and minimizes the likelihood that airlines will make financially sound network decisions based on long-term prospects.

Further, it is against federal regulations for federal aviation money to be used to subsidize local service. You cannot say that we have a deregulated marketplace if local communities can obtain federal money and then start their own subsidies.

However, there is big difference between the revenue guarantees that many leisure communities (ski and sun) have to pay to ensure they receive consistent year round or season appropriate service and the subsidies which are paid to communities that could never be profitably served if free market forces had to work.

As airline employees, you do not want to be subject to grants and subsidies; as consumers, you will lose every time.