This is why I have a hard time upgrading in advance using miles

I think LCC plays it fast and loose with the mileage seats. They are big on the 50K availability for a Y seat roundtrip which is just insane. With respect to FC, I have found that LCC does hold open a few more seats. From someone who buys an A fare or even a F fare, it is next to impossible changing a flight and getting into the cabin you paid for, so I think they should hold open seats for those types of fares. LCC is doing another sleezy pricing move these days too. For example, PHL-FLL 2 weeks out they are saying is $344 each way and FC is "just" $394 each way. This is obviously a push to get people to book FC because they think the fares are so close when in reality 688 to FLL from PHL is ridiculously high.

LCC does not HOLD anything, each FLIGHT has a breakdown of FULL FIRST CLASS, DIVIDEND MILES FIRST , and Seats that are available for the YUP Fares, SO GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU POST

And don't forget agents are selling them and making money. At the start of the FIRST UP program an agent could make 500.00 per check. ....At 1000.00 per month nobody followed the rules.
Now the program has expanded so much that it is getting harder to make that kind of money. It just goes to show you U gives you a way to make money then screws you........

LCC does not HOLD anything, each FLIGHT has a breakdown of FULL FIRST CLASS, DIVIDEND MILES FIRST , and Seats that are available for the YUP Fares, SO GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU POST

Ahem, Dear Mr Snotty response

First , Y-Up yours!

The CP desk has told me on numerous occasions that there are unsold F seats that are not yet available for purchase with miles, only cash. Whatever they choose to label them the result is the same, the Y-up fares take away from mileage upgradable seats.

As it should be

Well, maybe. It depends on what effect it has on the already p-o'd FFs.

I like the idea of F fares that reflect the quality of the service and are more affordable, but so many of these fares are far from cheap. >$1K to cross the country is pretty darn high and not that much less than F pricing.

I have often though that if F prices were <$1k round trip you could fill an F section with paying pax...might even make a large F cabin pay off.

Also, it may be worthwhile to note that flights don't increase in price just because it gets closer to the departure date. It's just coincidence it does that because the class fares are bought up. For those who need a refresher, here are the classes of service. R-class being the cheapest. (X being coach miles redemption of course.)

F: First Class
A: First Discounted
P: First Class Premium Upgrades
O: First Redemption/Regular Upgrades
C: Business
D: Business Discounted
Z: Business Discounted
J: Business Class Upgrades
I: Business Redemption
Y: Restricted Coach Class
B: Revenue Coach Class
M: Revenue Coach Class