This is why pax are not flying!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/27/2002 9:46:07 PM KCFlyer wrote:

Those are the same folks who gave up eating apples after the Alar scare a few years back. Those are the same people who believe the chain e-mails that went around last year about a "friend of a friend" who's Arabic boyfriend told her to stay away from the mall last Halloween. Those are the people who sometimes make me feel ashamed to be an American. [/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

Wow, that's pretty harsh comments there KCFlyer.
The events of 9/11 were more serious than your 2 examples. Afterall, terrorism struck at home, in the USA, it was not just another hijacking of XYZ Airlines in the middle east or 3rd world country. You have to allow some time for things to return to 'normal' - give people time to regain confidence in the airport/airline security system of the USA. You can't blame people for being cautious - not only about their money but also their security.

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 10/28/2002 5:38:29 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR][BR]Wow, that's pretty harsh comments there KCFlyer.  [BR]The events of 9/11 were more serious than your 2 examples.  Afterall, terrorism struck at home, in the USA, it was not just another hijacking of XYZ Airlines in the middle east or 3rd world country.  You have to allow some time for things to return to 'normal' - give people time to regain confidence in the airport/airline security system of the USA.  You can't blame people for being cautious - not only about their money but also their security.[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR][BR][BR]----------------[BR][BR]Considering that the NEXT terrorist attack will most likely NOT occur on an airline, but involve some sort of biological threat, then those folks who are avoiding flying because of the threat of terrorism might also want to check with their local emergency managment group to find out the site where the mass prophylaxis will be conducted... so that they can purchase a home nearby and be one of the first innoculated. [BR][BR]My point is, things will NEVER return to normal. We are now the target of terrorist tactics. If Middle East history is anything to go by, we'd better get used to that, because it doesn't ever seem to go away. We've got one of two choices...continue to live our lives, or cower around and fear flying, shopping malls, crowded sports arenas, and investing in the stock market. [BR][BR]You know, the Israelis have been living with terrorism for a pretty long time, and they don't seem to let it stop them from living a normal life. They've threatened to target a train next. Has ridership dropped in the Northeast corridor? I don't think so, but what'll happen if a train blows up? Then will people drive and a bridge will be targeted? Then everybody will try to work from home. [BR][BR]I'm not making light of 9/11, but there are a lot of folks who use the events of 9/11 as a lame excuse for their cowardice. I'm not usually one to say never, but IMHO, a 9/11 style attack will never happen here again. Because the first clown who stands up wielding a box cutter and threatening a flight attendant or approaching a cockpit door will hear the voice of every passenger on any plane utter the words let's roll and kick his silly a$$.[/BLOCKQUOTE]

I wouldn't be too sure that the next act of terrorism will not be an airline. Airlines are still easy targets. Remember that it was only a couple of months after 9/11 and there was that guy with explosives in his shoes on the AA CDG-MIA flight. But passengers these days are probably more likely to kick the a$$ of anybody that acts or even looks the wrong way at the flight crew.

In the past US citizens were aware that they were targets of terrorism when travelling abroad, it will take some time for people to cope with the fact that they may be targets even at home. It is human nature. Add to this the downturn in the economy plus the flawed pricing structure and people will travel less. This is a cyclical business, the passengers will eventually come back but it will just take longer than in the past (i.e. following Gulf War 1).

9/11 was NOT the first attack on Americans... Pan Am? TWA? Nothing was done to airline security after 103. It took larger and more deadly attacks before our government decieded that maybe they should do something. It is unfortunate that over 200 Americans lives were lost in vain on Pan Am 103. We as a nation, have been slow in responding to this poison that has been festering for years!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/27/2002 7:30:44 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

IMHO, the constant threat of terrorism is one of the major reasons people are not flying. The not-so-hot economy is the other.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Strangely, I have never heard even one person express a reluctance to get on a plane due to fear of terrorist attacks. Airport security hassels, yes. High unrestricted fares, yes. Fear of terrorist attack, not one.

I must be hanging out with the wrong kind of people.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 10:16:27 PM Blueskies/400 UpperDeck wrote:

9/11 was NOT the first attack on Americans... Pan Am? TWA? Nothing was done to airline security after 103. It took larger and more deadly attacks before our government decieded that maybe they should do something. It is unfortunate that over 200 Americans lives were lost in vain on Pan Am 103. We as a nation have been just to slow in responding to this poison that has been festering for years!
----------------
[/blockquote]

It goes farther back than that. How about the hijackings in the early 70's? ALPA was on record, back in 1972 i think, demanding fortress cockpit doors

Latest posts