To US AIRWAYS mech.& related only!

jetmechline

Aug 22, 2002
This past week we have been thru one of the most intense fear campaigns that any company has attempted to inflict on its employees since the time of the the infamous corporate raider FRANK LORENZO ! We are being bombarded from all sides .The company has pulled out all the stops. On Thur''s of this week the company had their HUMAN RESOURCES manager come down to the floor to give one of the most gloom and doom scenarios imaginable.
She was there to convince us to vote yes ! She insisted that the purpose of the meeting was to save us from the BIG BAD JUDGE . She informed us of how advantageous it would be , from the company''s point of view , for the judge to decide what happens to our contract . When she was asked why Siegel didn''t go ahead with this as his next step , she stated that he wanted to give us another chance and He wanted to be as fair as possible(OH BURF) !
1. If this judge is such an ally of the company''s position , why did''nt they take full advantage of this when we first voted no?
2. Why did Siegle go to the IAM INT''l and cut a deal with these self serving ***xxxxx to ignore our perfectly valid vote of Aug. 28.
3. Why won''t the IAM give the the legal grounds on which they are able to ignore our NO VOTE of Aug. 28.? Where in our bylaws is it writtened that they can ignore this vote and call for another one ?
I''m voting NO. I don''t believe the company or our union is looking out for our best interest. BRING ON THE JUDGE !At least with him we have a chance. (just my opinion)

Right on JetMechLine,
Glad to see someone not buying these scare tactics.
I think if this judge is so bad Dave would of had our contract thrown out after the first vote.

As a mechanic's wife..I COMPLETELY support my husband's NO vote...after 14 dedicated years of service he still can only hold 2nd shift...with 2 week days off....the children and I miss him desperately in the evenings...of course (being a mech. wife's) I am employed...restricting our time together even more....I am very proud of my husband and the job he currently maintains...however....should this job become no longer available...my support and honor for my husband will not change....He is a thoughtful, generous, humble man...who would be willing to make some sacrifices at this time for the company ...(as he has in the pass).....but he is a man of integrity and he does stand for something. Where injustice reigns...he will take a stand. I have seen and read what the company is offering...(compliments of Dave ..via USPO) .....and find it appalling with the bonuses being added to this contract under the current conditions......if I understand this correctly it will be another 6 to 8 years of this same mess....management in position to be honored through additional bonuses IF the company comes out of this ....while mechanics are frozen...I see the corporate greed all around...just watch your local news....but for now...as an employee....my husband has the Right and has been asked to cast his vote....this is the only way he is able to communicate his feelings on the matter....only through a vote...and it is his....and my heart rejoices that it is NO and that he will not be swayed by the attempts to create fear from so many sources....if I seem callous, or uncaring...please forgive me....that is not the case I assure you....I have high hopes for USAir...and in my experience ...USAIR has some of the finest professional people around....Please try...just try to understand this from the mechanics point of view...and stop judging them as if they would be the ones responsible for bringing this company down...POOR Management is the cause... period !!!.and by the way ...to those who have directed mech. to apply at Wal Mart.....should I find my husband greeting folks at Wal-Mart.....this I know...he'll be one of the greatest assets Wal-Mart has every been blessed with. His NO vote is not a personal attack on the company ...just the means he has been provided with to speak....each person must make their own decision....I am proud that fear did not prevail in the first vote....may the confused NO vote be spoken even louder the second time....To all wives of Mech....now is the time for us to step up to the plate and support our husbands....God only know what UNNECESSARY stress the union and company has placed on them in addition to the stress from the FRIGHTEN pilots.
A question for Av8orwife....in your package.... did the company remove your reimbursement for piano tuning should you be relocated?? If so, my heart goes out to you....when will they stop !!!! I SUPPORT MY HUSBAND'S NO VOTE !!!!

Now if you look at the opinions of these three they are all from Pittsburgh...Not to say that there are some people from other parts of the contry that would not share there opinions... just not nearly at the same percentage...There has been a long history of labor unrest in this part of the country going back many years...They are a proud people and have a strong belief in their position...There is little chance to change there mind under any circumstances...Look at what happened to the steel industy...I would just hope the company takes this risk into future consideration on expansion and services and weigh the risks of staying in Pittsburg versus just writing this one off to SWA...If you took Pittsburgh out of the IAM vote last time would the vote have passed???

Mrs. Mech, your high hopes for U are going to be wasted, as U will never be what it once was ( with your husband's no vote ) nor will it even resemble what Dave has planned to shape it into. If any part of U survives ( to be bought by some other carrier ) it will only be a mere memory of what was or could have been. And the metamorphisis will be very quick, so hold on for a very bumpy ride.

I only have one suggestion to these people.

Tomorrow... Monday, September 16 and on Tuesday, September 17 the day of the vote go out and fill out some applications with various companies within your community.

Get a taste of what job markets like, find out what jobs are out there and what their starting pay is or what benefits they have to offer.

Do you think you think you'll be making what your making now? What are the chances of you or your spouse getting a job working days with weekends off making 50k a year are going to be?

This is not the time or the place to pick a battle with the company. WE will lose! By voting logically rather than emotionally our day will come.

ChairPreRes
Now if you look at the opinions of these three they are all from Pittsburg...Not to say that there are some people from other parts of the contry that would not share there opinions... just not nearly at the same percentage...( I suggest you look at the clt and tampa voting results... they are the stations that put this NO vote over the top) There has been a long history of labor unrest in this part of the country going back many years..(Yes that's true! We are proud of the fact that the birth of unionism occurred in this area of the country.)They are a proud people and have a strong beliefs in their position...There is little chance to change there mind under any circumstances...(Not true! Fairness & Mutual respect would go a long way in solving this mess.)Look at what happened to the steel industy...( My family lived through these times.It was massive amounts of foreign gov.subsidized steel that was allowed to be dumped on our shores that crippled this industry.) I would just hope the company takes this risk into future consideration on expansion and services and weigh the risks of staying in Pittsburg versus just writing this one off to SWA..( you better hope they don't look too hard , it was your part of the country that put this over. I see from your profile it's winston-salem . )If you took Pittsburg out of the IAM vote last time would the vote have passed??? (Yes it would, once again ,thanks to TAMPA AND CLT.)

[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][FONT size=1]Apparently, some people just don’t get it.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Please don’t take this as a personal slam jetmechline, RealityCheck, mech.wife, and t-man.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Please look at this logically. [?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice /][o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][o:p][FONT size=1] [/FONT][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][FONT size=1]Without all labor groups voluntarily giving the concessions that the company needs, it doesn’t matter what the Judge says or does. [SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]US Airways will be history.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]The TPG (folks with the cash) will back away if they see labor unrest within the company.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]The public (and the press) will scorn and avoid an airline with such hard-headed labor troubles.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]No investment money, no revenue money.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN][STRONG]Without cash to bridge us to next year when we emerge from Chapter 11, we will not need the ATSB loan because we will be liquidated.[/STRONG][SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]There won’t be any choice![o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][o:p][FONT size=1] [/FONT][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][FONT size=1][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma]Please read Chip Munn's posts. He has accurately conveyed the nuts and bolts of the situation. His posts are un-emotional and present the facts only. It is quite clear, if you read and understand the facts, that we are in dire straits and there is only one possible way out. [STRONG](BTW, thank you, Chip.)[/STRONG][/SPAN][o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][o:p][FONT size=1][STRONG] [/STRONG][/FONT][/o:p][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][FONT size=1][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma]There is a basic rule in Business 101:[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Get your company in order from within, and then go out and compete with other companies.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]That’s what [/SPAN][?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = urn:schemas:contacts /][st1:GivenName][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma]Dave[/SPAN][/st1:GivenName][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma] is trying to do.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]To let your emotions take over and cause you to cut off your nose to spite your face is foolish.[o:p][/o:p][/SPAN][/FONT][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][FONT size=1]If US Airways is such a bad place to work, why don’t I see all of you “no†votes putting in your letters of resignation and going through those doors with the little red “EXIT†signs above them.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]If you have another job lined up paying what you make here, go now![SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]The sooner you go, the better your seniority will be.[o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][FONT size=1]Just vote [STRONG][FONT size=2]“YESâ€[/FONT][/STRONG] and give those of us who choose to stay, our best chance to help our company survive.[o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]
[P class=MsoNormal style=MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt][SPAN style=FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma][FONT size=1][STRONG]Note:[/STRONG][SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes][STRONG] [/STRONG] [/SPAN]Please see my response to “wrenchbender†about available jobs out there.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]That post can be found in the string, “What a no vote meansâ€.[SPAN style=mso-spacerun: yes] [/SPAN]Thanks. [o:p][/o:p][/FONT][/SPAN][/P]
[P][FONT size=1][/FONT] [/P]

Well guess what folks, I am right here from the BURGH and have been all my life. I don't share that hard headed moronic attitude that sticking together will change corporate America. The union itself can’t stick together, but people are too stupid to realize that fatal fact! I don’t need to look very far to see all the empty spaces where once mighty factories, plants and tons of jobs were lost. You have a hardliner combo ex steel worker as a union steward spouting his ilk, then you have the sponge heads listening to every word that spews from his poison lips. Common sense, GOD given Common sense is all one needs to see that this battle is lost, and that we all will be slaughtered, pride and all. Thank God I do have other skills outside this field, with these hardliners that is a must! And in this corner we have SANITY, where the YES vote lives. VOTE YES. Vote No and make your living at the flea market selling your pride.

pittsburgH...there's an H at the end CPR

Cavalier says it best. Unfortunately the wives of the mechanics have no idea what they are facing without jobs already lined up. Ladies, I live in PIT too and this city is dying. Look around you. The growth of the early 1980's is gone. This city is not thriving.

I almost left my current company to return to working in a hospital (where I trained). I would have had to take a $20,000 pay cut!!! And for what? Just to remain living in PIT?! Yes it's a nice area to raise a family in, but I sure as hell don't want to die here like the rest of my family and friends.

Did you happen to see the recent article in the USA Today about people moving to another city to find work? Most of the people interviewed in the article said the only way they could survive was to move to a new city for work. This is what is going to happen to you all if you don't keep this airline alive. Why is the mentality I've been reading so negative? What are the reasons behind it? Would it be better to save this airline with a few of the employees still working or have it shut down and no one is working?

You may ask why am I posting a reply here......I am a very loyal US1 that hopes this airline survives. I spend more time with USAirways employees than I do with my own family (joke by my father). Even when I didn't live in PIT for a number of years, I made sure I kept flying my hometown airline. And yes, people in this town feel that USAirways is OUR airline too. I've watched the growth of this airline for the last 38 years. My dad used to take me to the old PIT airport and we would stand out on the observation deck and watch the old Allegheny planes. But at that time too TWA was the major carrier here. Thank god Allegheny turned into USAir.

So in ending this.....I can only hope that USAirways continues to fly for many years to come.

NYPD, what a great, realistic reply. Very simple....no vote -- no airline...yes vote -- the airline may still survive and give thousands jobs. I don't want to see history repeat itself. Especially in the Pittsburgh area; its economically depressed already. Our management and ourlocal politicians put PIT in this position, yes, but it's a done deal. Here we are, now what are we going to do about it?

To Mechs wife-- I understand what you are trying to express. My wife had to work a different shift than I did for 31 years. And 25 years of that was of our choosing. The schedule worked good bringing up the children. And we are not sorry for it one bit. It took 18 years to get some of the weekend off. In our city you see many occupations doing the same. I don't understand your thinking about whatever your mech. husband does, you will be proud of him. Is he right now thinking of the family or of himself and his pride ? His pride is not going to pay that medical bill if someone in the family gets sick. His pride is not going to pay for that food on the table. If you didn't like the working situation for 14 years, why didn't he just go to another place for employment? I had to transfer 3 times (a year ea. time) in the 31 years, but accepted it. It was our choosing. We made the best of it. So you say you will stand-by your mech. husband in voting no. Just make sure you stand buy him in the unemployment line also. And if he is lucky enough to get a job at WalMart or a 7-11 , do hope he gets day shift, and make sure that when you see him in the store, go up to him and say gee honey, I'm proud of you for giving up you aviation career for this. I think that the new CEO that U has, is trying to save the airline. This is one time that the employees should be trying to help him. Most older employees had to go threw bad times. The 70's fuel crisis is a example. Well, if the vote goes no, then get ready for a good family crisis.