Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Delta it ain't: A flight on US Air

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...6deltamatt.html

A flight to Phoenix on US Air

By MATT KEMPNER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/16/06

Not one, but two stray threads are sticking from a seat back on US Airways Flight 639.

And they call this an airline?

(ENLARGE)
Matt Kempner

Welcome to a flight into the heart of darkness, on the very day US Airways announced its bid for a hostile takeover of Delta.

Flight 639 is leaving Atlanta and heading straight for Phoenix, where the airport sits beside the suburb of Tempe, the home of US Airways.

Yes, US Airways has graciously offered to rename itself Delta, but it says it hasn't decided yet whether the headquarters for its dream of a combined airline should be in Atlanta or in the middle of the Arizona desert.

Is US Airways really up for the challenge? Flight 639, say hello to the white glove test.

Issue One rises well before boarding. The self-check-in machines won't print out the boarding pass. Too close to boarding time? Whatever.

OK, otherwise the boarding process goes smoothly.

It's packed on the plane. All but five seats are filled. And the only ones that are left are the center seats. US Airways notices this situation. Five more passengers are called up the jetway to fill the needy seats.

It is raining enough to drown a frog in Atlanta, which is all the more depressing on this particular day, because up ahead Phoenix is sunny and clear.

Everything on this trip seems to carry some double meaning aimed at Delta.

How else to explain the pilot's loudspeaker greeting to passengers that includes this warning: "You can expect some turbulence as we depart the local area."

Yeah, we know.

Hostile takeover seems so ... hostile. What about another tack, like, say, friendly, good-natured or intriguingly persuasive takeover?

Back to the rundown on Flight 639.

The lavatory: Soap comes from one of those foaming dispensers.

In-flight magazine: New, fresh and no stains of unidentifiable origin.

Safety video: The usual half-smiling actors showing how to stow laptops and strap oxygen masks on an unreasonably calm kid. The video includes an artistic close-up of an aisle light. The video's lead-in music is stirring string instruments. It kind of makes you feel proud about putting your seat back to the upright and locked position.

Keep this in mind. US Airways planes are generally white, with red and dark blue tails. Delta's planes are mostly white, with red and dark blue tails. Coincidence?

Flight 639 pulls back from the gate on time. Maybe it's even a couple minutes early. Big deal. The real test is when you land.

In one exit row sits Nathan Kitchens. He is on vacation and he is dressed like a passenger, but he confesses that he is a pilot who flies US Airways routes out of Charlotte.

"I'm not really a mortal enemy," he tells an inquisitive Atlantan who happens to be carrying a reporter's notebook and a pen. He explains that he is employed by Mesa Air, and Mesa flies planes for a host of carriers, including both Delta and US Airways.

Beside him, sits Catherine Zasada, who says she is the national advertising director for the big Phoenix newspaper, The Arizona Republic.

She says she likes US Airways –– and its predecessor airline America West.

If any corporation has to move, Zasada says she'd prefer it be Delta going to Tempe rather than US Airways moving to Atlanta. She sticks to this view despite the withering stare of the Atlantan with the note pad and pen.

"I bet we land on time," Zasada says.

A flight attendant's voice comes sweetly over the loudspeaker. Soft drinks and juices are free, she says. (Delta does that, too) Two bags of mini pretzels also are complimentary. Delta gives out snacks, also.

A meal –– a roasted chicken sandwich, "luscious" fruit and cheese plate or a snack box –– costs you.

An hour after Flight 639 left the gate, drinks arrive at Zasada and Kitchens' exit row, courtesy of smiling flight attendants.

The drinks come with a drink napkin emblazoned with an ad: "Thirsty for more travel? Explore over 225 destinations worldwide with US."

This is, after all, the airline that put ads on seat-back tray tables as a way to goose up revenues. Every bit helps in the flying business.

Three hours and 35 minutes after pushing back from the gate in Atlanta, meal service arrives, including a chicken sandwich for Zasada.

"That was kind of slow," she admits after the cheery flight attendant has gone.

Another thing that's "weird," she says, is that the crew sometimes refers to the carrier as US Airways and sometimes as America West. The merger of the two took place last year, but the two are still in the process of trying to operate as a single carrier, with the US Airways headquarters moving from the Washington, D.C., suburbs to America West's base in Arizona.

One of the flight attendants, wearing an apron with the America West symbol, says she's sure Delta will move too if the latest deal goes through.

"Who wouldn't want to live in Phoenix?" she says. "It's delightful."

Another flight attendant comes down the aisle. She carries a handwritten list of all the US Airways frequent flyers on board and she stops to thank each personally and to invite them to fly again.

"See why I like them," Zasada says, though she adds she's never seen them do that before.

Kitchens, the vacationing pilot, is philosophical about the passenger flying experience. Every flight, he says, has its pluses and minuses.

But when it comes down to it, he says, "you have an equal number of takeoffs and you have an equal number of landings. That's all that matters."

On Flight 639, touchdown in Arizona is smooth and more than punctual. "We're on the ground approximately 15 minutes early," Zasada says. "For the record."

The captain's voice has already comes over the loudspeaker.

He tells the passengers he hopes they have enjoyed their flight.

And, he adds, "I hope to see you real soon on a future US Airways ... or Delta flight."

How original. Yet ANOOOOTHHHER reporter story with a play by play of a random flight on a random airline.

Flight 639 pulls back from the gate on time. Maybe it's even a couple minutes early. Big deal. The real test is when you land.
Just gotta love reporters .NOT! Of course on-time arrival is more meaningful than on-time departure. But unless there's a gate return for MX or something like that, once the flight pushes back on-time arrival is largely out of the airline's hands. From there the major things that will delay the flight are departure delays, reroutes for weather or traffic, or holding at the destination.

I think you guys are reading this wrong... this was a complementary story. Read the reporters other Delta stories...he hates them. Atlanta Journal Constitution reminds me of a rag named the Post-Gazette. Bash, bash the hometown airline...it's the thing to do!

Later,
Eye

There is a reason that many in ATL refer to the newspaper in question as the "Atlanta Urinal & Constipation"

Much the way we in PHX refer to our vaunted rag as the Arizona Repulsive. I wouldn't line my kitty litter box w/ Dawn Gilbertson's hideous mug, although I have considered it.

I think it's a law...you HAVE to dislike the hometown airline. In Dallas, everyone hates AA. DTW, no one likes NW. I can go on with major hubs and their airlines that no one likes- that is until some other airline comes along to gobble them up! lol.

I think it's a law...you HAVE to dislike the hometown airline. In Dallas, everyone hates AA. DTW, no one likes NW. I can go on with major hubs and their airlines that no one likes- that is until some other airline comes along to gobble them up! lol.
There may be some hidden truth to that but when I lived in Pittsburgh/Sh*ttsburgh, I have never seen a City or region go out of their way to bash a hometown airline. Very rarely was a positive word extended toward USAir/USAirways and the continual reference in the media of Useless Air, Agony Airlines and a constant negative relentless spin made me turn on the area as well. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Not necessarily. :)

Growing up in a midwestern city... everybody was fond of the local hometown airline flying the DC-9s filled with first class seats and baked-on-board chocolate chip cookies.

I think you guys are reading this wrong... this was a complementary story. Read the reporters other Delta stories...he hates them. Atlanta Journal Constitution reminds me of a rag named the Post-Gazette. Bash, bash the hometown airline...it's the thing to do!

Later,
Eye

I agree, thanks for posting it. It shows we aren't the evil guys.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Ever think the problem you had with living in PIT was YOU?

I've lived in San Diego, Winston-Salem, Manhattan (NYC not KS) and New Jersey. I found things to love and hate about each and every area I've lived in over the years. PIT is home, I grew up here, and moved away a few times. There are times I am glad I'm home and other times I look forward to moving away again. Someplace warm hopefully.

But in all my moves, I've always brought a piece of home with me. And I can truly say I'm always happy to go back to those places I've lived before. It's made me a more well-rounded individual to know I can live anywhere in the country and have my home remain a part of me.

So maybe it's just YOU.

And it's not just the airlines that are bashed by the locals. Even the medical institutions take their fair share of abuse in the press. Any large corporation that employs a large amount of the population will take a beating. US no longer can claim the abuse now in the PIT newspapers like it took in the early years.

Latest posts