Toilet Paper causes SWA Divert

"SWA first started flying at rates well below the industry standards" highest paid for equipment type and highest paid FA's now,, I think SWA is the standard....maybe you should fight to get to their level...

SWA only became the highest when the other carriers took cuts. That is moving to the front by default not by action. Enjoy your "pension" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk about confused......you do know that a 401K is a pension, don't you?

Jim

Jim,

A traditional pension is what is being bantered here and you know it. A 401K is NOT a defined plan.

The following is from Wikipedia and it does not describe a 401K.
A pension is a steady income given to a person (usually after retirement). Pensions are typically payments made in the form of a guaranteed annuity to a retired or disabled employee.

Jim,

A traditional pension is what is being bantered here and you know it. A 401K is NOT a defined plan.

A pension is a steady income given to a person (usually after retirement). Pensions are typically payments made in the form of a guaranteed annuity to a retired or disabled employee.

Somehow I didn't see the word "traditional" in your post. Odd that you also left out the next several sentences from Wikipedia:

Some retirement plan (or superannuation) designs accumulate a cash balance (through a variety of mechanisms) that a retiree can draw upon at retirement, rather than promising annuity payments. These are often also called pensions. In either case, a pension created by an employer for the benefit of an employee is commonly referred to as an occupational or employer pension. Labor unions, the government, or other organizations may also fund pensions.
As usual, half-truths and spin to further your agenda.......

Jim

A 401K is NOT a defined plan.

No, a 401K is not a defined benefit pension plan, but you said "First OFF SWA does not have a pension program to go back on." I defy you to point out the words "traditional", "defined", or "DB".

Interesting, also, that you left out the next several sentences from Wikipedia:

Some retirement plan (or superannuation) designs accumulate a cash balance (through a variety of mechanisms) that a retiree can draw upon at retirement, rather than promising annuity payments. These are often also called pensions. In either case, a pension created by an employer for the benefit of an employee is commonly referred to as an occupational or employer pension. Labor unions, the government, or other organizations may also fund pensions.

That part describes a 401K - wonder why you left it out.........

Jim

hey mags, can you elaborate on the United Flight Attendant's Pension and how it was turned over to the PBGC?

What do you want to know? From what I understand the UA FA pension is guaranteed by the PBGC due to the amount paid to them being below the threshold of the limits. The FA's also have 401K and stock distribution I believe.

No, a 401K is not a defined benefit pension plan, but you said "First OFF SWA does not have a pension program to go back on." I defy you to point out the words "traditional", "defined", or "DB".

Jim

Nice thread drift. Does SWA contribute to the 401K without employee input or is only matched funds? If there is no deposit by SWA without employee input then that is not what I would consider a pension. As for spinning you do a fine job of that yourself. A 401K is not a pension and YES we were discussing the terminated PENSIONS. Like many things I disagree with your definition describing a 401K.

Of course all this discussion does not change the FACT that SWA diverted a jet due to TP. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So a Flight Attendant who retired, say 5-10 years ago is still receiving the same amount in their pension that they had been promised when they retired? And this very same pension was not underfunded by United airlines and was didn't have to bailed by PBCG? There was always happiness and serenity amongst the employees of united airlines, never CHAOS and sadness right?

So a Flight Attendant who retired, say 5-10 years ago is still receiving the same amount in their pension that they had been promised when they retired? And this very same pension was not underfunded by United airlines and was didn't have to bailed by PBCG? There was always happiness and serenity amongst the employees of united airlines, never CHAOS and sadness right?

FWIW my wife retired in 1995 and her pension is intact. She never made the kind of money Mags makes. :rolleyes: Health benefits are another story as premiums, co-pays etc. has increased. The ESOP (she wasn't a participant) was a disaster. She enjoyed working at UAL.....flew everything from Convair 340's to B-747's.

Boxer is a better person to ask since he is married to an F/A. However, my understanding is that F/A pensions are whole based on the F/A pension falling below the PBGC limits. If there are F/A's with pensions above the PBGC limit then they would be limited to the threshold.

As to your CHAOS comment. Not sure I have ever seen the UA F/A's actually do a CHAOS event. Heard a lot of blather about it but never really seen it in action. I would say the closest thing to CHAOS I have ever seen is the F/A's coming back from Beijing with more bags than they can carry and trying to get on and off the employee bus. They tend to not be able get up and down the steps of the bus without luggage, let alone a tote, a suitcase, a duffle, bags and bags of crap they have bought. They look more like a group of homeless old ladies than flight attendants.

Jim

But, you agree a 401k is not a defined benefit pension plan. So, your post was equally disingenuous.

But, you agree a 401k is not a defined benefit pension plan. So, your post was equally disingenuous.
Let's get back on topic...in 50 years, I've never noticed "toilet paper dust". Perhaps mags has. If he saw dust in his bathroom, would he go "oh...the toilet paper". Of course, knowing mags, had a "mysterious white substance" been found in a lav, and the flight continued, he would lambaste them for putting their passengers at risk.

Let's get back on topic...in 50 years, I've never noticed "toilet paper dust". Perhaps mags has. If he saw dust in his bathroom, would he go "oh...the toilet paper". Of course, knowing mags, had a "mysterious white substance" been found in a lav, and the flight continued, he would lambaste them for putting their passengers at risk.

I bet you're right, considering he just slammed the entire flight attendant group at UAL. He must be such a joy to fly with.

I guess we are fortunate that we carry linen on our airplanes.

Yeah what's funny is that Southwest doesn't get complaints from passengers about the lack of linen napkins. Supplying linen napkins is one of the many costs for United that will keep them from reaching full profit potential.

Latest posts