Toll road to PIT from Tri-State area

Here is a map of this waste of taxpayer's money.
map.jpg

Are you referring to the Southern Beltway, running from the airport to U.S. 22? I wasn't aware that was a toll road.

I guess it's supposed to be completed this fall.

Not the Southern Beltway. That is another part of the highway project.

Here's a traffic jam on the way to Steubenville. :p
http://www.wrx900.com/Steubenville%20OH%207.jpg

Is that the Alikanna overpass?

That section of US 22 was a huge, albeit blunderous, work of highway engineering. That and the concrete Veterans suspension bridge in an area known for steel. The idea of this monstrosity was to provide quick and easy access to Pittsburgh, bypassing the drive through Wintersville, Steubenville, and the railyard at Weirton Steel. It was to bring a multitude of new businesses, jobs, and to create a bedroom community for Pittsburgh. Oh well. Dream in one hand and cr@p in the other.

See the plane in the uper left hand corner? Wonder if that is US Airways? Gotta keep on topic.

Here is a map of this waste of taxpayer's money.

How is this a waste of taxpayers money? Will you travel it? I personally will. I even travel the turnpike extension to visit my sister and the toll on that is a total of $1.25 for me. Do I mind paying that toll? NO! It gets me to my sister's house much faster.

These tolls will help pay for road construction and repair over the years.

Have you ever traveled Interstate 95 through NJ? That's a toll road on a national interstate system. Have you ever traveled the Dallas Parkway? That's a toll road that takes you from downtown Dallas and will soon end at the TX/OK border. I happened to have traveled both of these roads a heck of a lot over the past 9 years and I don't complain about the small price it costs to travel quickly.

Get over it already.

<_<

If the tolls help pay for constrruction and repair, then what the heck does our taxes pay for! I am sick and tired of every new road that opens being a toll road. What the $%#@ do I pay taxes for!

If the tolls help pay for constrruction and repair, then what the heck does our taxes pay for! I am sick and tired of every new road that opens being a toll road. What the $%#@ do I pay taxes for!

It's the way things are done now. Ask the people of Texas or New Jersey if they mind paying those tolls. And their taxes are higher than yours and mine.

It's the way things are done now, is just an excuse. Why do we just have to accept that? Penn Dot is the most crooked government agency I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. How many times have they built, change, remodeled, moved, demolished the toll plazas on the PA turnpike? What a waste. Look at the Turnpike from the PA/OH line to Cranberry. In the last 6-7 years it has been changed how many times?

Ask those of us who live in southern West Virginia that question. Just to travel 90 miles to Charleston we have to pay $3.75 each way in tolls. I don't mind paying that as I'd hate the alternative but many people see that as paying a tax for living in the southern end of the state.

However, you should have heard the b!tching when the authority raised the tolls from $1.25 to $2.00 per toll barrier in December. It was so loud, that a group of businesses formed a class action and had it overturned because the turnpike authority did the increase illegally!

Being a somewhat frequent visitor to the PIT area, I'm glad to see these roads are being built, and the 75 cent or dollar tolls are reasonable to get you where you are going faster. I like having route 60 completed from the turnpike to PIT as it makes any drives over from CAK much faster than they used to be.

As long as we are talking about tolls, the last few times I've come to PIT from CAK I've noticed they've taken most of the tolls of the mainline turnpike from the Ohio line to the PIT suburbs. Why did they do that?

Hey MARK, settle down dude , Penn Dot and your tax dollars have nothing to do with anything built, demolished , remodled, paved, or otherwised molested by the Turnpike commission . If you want to complain ,cry foul about the mess near Ebensberg ,I-99 i believe, where the pyrite that Penn dot uncovered is leaking acid into the streams and creeks . I believe it was said to cost more for the acid remediation than to build the rest of the highway,talk about a waste of tax payer funds, a little more geologic work wouldv'e been prudent. Oh well, keeps lots and lots of people employeed i guess............

Oops my bad....Turnpike Commission / Penn Dot....same type of pig....different dress. =) Either one of the two are no better then the other.

In being fair to Pennsylvania we should acknowledge that they do have more state roads than the rest of New England including New York under their care. Combine that with harsh winters and a poor economy it is more expensive than some milder climates.

If I remember correctly, and I thing a previous post points this out, this is supposed to be part of the Mon-Valley expressway. Its been under construction for about 30 years now. And the people in PHX complain when it going to take 3-4 years to build the newest freeway......

How is this a waste of taxpayers money? Will you travel it? I personally will. I even travel the turnpike extension to visit my sister and the toll on that is a total of $1.25 for me. Do I mind paying that toll? NO! It gets me to my sister's house much faster.

These tolls will help pay for road construction and repair over the years.

A typical Pennsylvanian. I bet I could go to your house, cut a coin-sized notch in a wall, and you would insert coins into that notch like a trained monkey until you are completely out of money.

A typical Pennsylvanian. I bet I could go to your house, cut a coin-sized notch in a wall, and you would insert coins into that notch like a trained monkey until you are completely out of money.

Nah......I'm not that stupid. But thanks for thinking that I am. And by the way....not your typical PA resident.

I may live in PA now but I've lived all over the country from San Diego to NYC. I got used to having to pay a toll every time I returned to NYC from NJ or Long Island. And I travel the Dallas tollway enough to know that for the speed and convinence of traveling faster through Dallas I must pay a toll.

So how are those examples any different than having to pay a toll on a new road in PA? And like I said in a previous reply posting, I travel the PA turnpike extension to get to my sister's house faster with a heck of a lot less traffic and I don't care that I have to pay $1.25 to do it.

Maybe you just can't afford the tolls while I can?? ;)

Latest posts