TransAtlantic Business Service

Jan 19, 2010
As an observer of this board for a number of years, and a first time register/poster, I wanted to ask a few questions about the TransAtlantic Business Class service for this up coming summer.

I recently purchased 2 Business Class tickets from PHL-FCO on the 333. On the web, it did not allow me to purchase Row.1, and upon speaking with a reservationist, I was informed that this row was available for purchase for $300pp each way.

1. Do the seats in Row 1 actual recline 180 into a bed.
2. I am 6'5", will I fit into the seat anyway. ( I have flown on the 752 to Shannon in Business Class and know the seats in row 2-5 on the 333 are the same as on the Boeing)
3. What is the service like these days.
4. If the upgrade is worth it, is there a better side of the plane to avoid galley light.

Having been a previous Gold FF for 2 yrs (I do not travel for work anymore), and having traveled around the country and globe on US and other carriers, I know that the only true difference in service (besides the cheap cutlery and dishes on US 1st), is the mood/attitude of the F/A. On the way to Shannon, we had a great cabin crew, on the way home, no pre-departure wine, had to ask 5 times once in the air, and finally walked to the galley 1 hour into flight and asked for a glass of wine, and no, there was no turbulance.

In any event, wanted to know if Row 1 is worth the $600 upgrade on the way over, and what the service is like these days.

Thanks

As an observer of this board for a number of years, and a first time register/poster, I wanted to ask a few questions about the TransAtlantic Business Class service for this up coming summer.

I recently purchased 2 Business Class tickets from PHL-FCO on the 333. On the web, it did not allow me to purchase Row.1, and upon speaking with a reservationist, I was informed that this row was available for purchase for $300pp each way.

1. Do the seats in Row 1 actual recline 180 into a bed.
2. I am 6'5", will I fit into the seat anyway. ( I have flown on the 752 to Shannon in Business Class and know the seats in row 2-5 on the 333 are the same as on the Boeing)
3. What is the service like these days.
4. If the upgrade is worth it, is there a better side of the plane to avoid galley light.

Having been a previous Gold FF for 2 yrs (I do not travel for work anymore), and having traveled around the country and globe on US and other carriers, I know that the only true difference in service (besides the cheap cutlery and dishes on US 1st), is the mood/attitude of the F/A. On the way to Shannon, we had a great cabin crew, on the way home, no pre-departure wine, had to ask 5 times once in the air, and finally walked to the galley 1 hour into flight and asked for a glass of wine, and no, there was no turbulance.

In any event, wanted to know if Row 1 is worth the $600 upgrade on the way over, and what the service is like these days.

Thanks

Row one on the 333 are the seats that were the "First Class" seats when USAirways had a First Class cabin with actual first class service. They do recline flat and parallel to the floor. The seats are still in front of a bulkhead with lots of room even with the seat fully reclined to flat. The meal/drink service is identical to the rest of Envoy class.

The other seats in Envoy are very similar to the 757 Envoy seats. They recline to about 160 degrees, I believe. If you need to sleep on your side, you can't in those seats. If you can sleep on your back, it's not too bad. They are certainly more comfortable than those abominable "Majesty" seats that LCC bought on the cheap (ebay?) and installed in the 767 Envoy class. Those are like sitting on a bent washboard. (But the secretaries in Tempe liked them the most, so that's what our passengers are stuck with.)

Getting back to the 333 row 1... The best seats for avoiding galley light are the window seats, but very little galley light gets to that row anyway. Besides, that galley is almost strictly storage and there is not a lot of "galley activity" up there during the "sleep time." Most flight attendants keep those lights dim (or off) to make row 1 sleeping easier. They love it when you sleep because then you're not in their face and needy. The window on the right side of the aircraft may be a bit quieter because there is no lavatory or cockpit door on that side to slam.

Is it worth the extra $300? If you need to sleep on your side, or need a bed totally parallel to the floor, then yes, that is your best bet.

As far as the service, I have nothing to compare it to. But the food is generally good to very good, IMHO. The flight attendant service is usually outstanding except in cases when the "galley wench" (the flight attendant who is responsible for preparing the food) is clueless. That's a rarity, but I've seen Envoy entrees being served 3 hours into the flight (long after the light would normally be out and everyone asleep.) And, no, the ovens were working perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Also keep in mind that there are 2 more A330-200's being delivered this year and it's possible PHL-FCO could get one of them. In that case, you'd likely get the new fully flat Envoy pod seats.

Accordinng to Seatguru, the length on 332 sleeper pods differs by the row. Additionally, a travel agent friend said one of her clients booked row 1 to TLV (for the $300pp upgrade), and the seat was broken/did not recline. He is also 6'5". He traveled to TLV about a month or so ago. Were any of the new pods on the 332 installed at this time.

Accordinng to Seatguru, the length on 332 sleeper pods differs by the row. Additionally, a travel agent friend said one of her clients booked row 1 to TLV (for the $300pp upgrade), and the seat was broken/did not recline. He is also 6'5". He traveled to TLV about a month or so ago. Were any of the new pods on the 332 installed at this time.

$300 row 1 upgrade is not even possible on the TLV service as it's an A330-200 aircraft, and row 1 is just like any other Envoy seat.

I'm surprised though, the Envoy suite is not solely used on TLV for now, with only 2 sweet (Suite, get it, lol?!) 332's.

-Kinglobjaw

When is your trip? If it falls between 1/22/2010 and /36/2010, then PHL is right, in that it will be operated by an A332. If that is the case, there will be a 60% chance that Envoy will actually have the new Suites. If it is one of the two that has yet to be refitted (281 and 283) then the seats will be the same as they are in the A333.

The two 2010 A332 deliveries are supposed to arrive during the 1st quarter. That could change the odds of getting the new suites, up or down depending on what's installed.

Jim