Transcon Service from BOS & JFK

This should prove interesting.
6.gif

----------------
On 8/11/2003 11:15:50 AM funguy2 wrote:

----------------
On 8/11/2003 11:06:52 AM MiAAmi wrote:

Simple Question. Would you rather have 9 widebodies to choose from (AA from JFK-LAX) or 2 319's to choose from?

----------------​

Well... Apparently some price-sensitive folks don't mind a narrower choice of narrow bodies... after all... we have JetBlue and Southwest flying transcons on narrow body aircraft with minimal ammenities... no first class, no food, no entertainment (on LUV anyway).

Your right - some don't. Most of the JFK-LAX traffic is business travel anyway. The $299.00 fares are gravey.

----------------
On 8/11/2003 11:06:52 AM MiAAmi wrote:

Simple Question. Would you rather have 9 widebodies to choose from (AA from JFK-LAX) or 2 319's to choose from?

----------------​

Well... Apparently some price-sensitive folks don't mind a narrower choice of narrow bodies... after all... we have JetBlue and Southwest flying transcons on narrow body aircraft with minimal ammenities... no first class, no food, no entertainment (on LUV anyway).

Examples:

BWI-LAX/SJC WN
JFK/IAD-LGB/OAK B6
JFK-SAN B6
TPA/MCO-LAX DL Song
ATL-LAX/LAS AirTran
EWR-SFO ATA (starting in Nov also)

Why should AWA be left out of this market?

Although, I have to imagine AA's response will be strong... look what they are doing to try to slow down JetBlue...

----------------
On 8/11/2003 11:29:25 AM MiAAmi wrote:

Your right - some don't. Most of the JFK-LAX traffic is business travel anyway. The $299.00 fares are gravey.

----------------​

Don't delude yourself MIAAMI - business travleres aren't going to pay $900 to fly on AA when they can fly on HP for $299. Their companies simply won't allow it. That gravy that you talk about is going to be your walk up coach fare very soon. If AA doesn't respond to it then they will lose travelers to America West, ATA and Jet Blue. It's thinking such as yours that's gotten the airlines into the position they're currently in. In case you haven't noticed, business travel as we used to know it has all but dried up. Business travelers care less now about whether they fly on a 767 or 319. If the fare is the same then they will start looking at other benefits but if the fares are slightly different then plane size, meal options and entertainment become moot points.

Is HP going to try and wage a war with AA? I've heard that they are taking 2 of the 4 new gates at DFW to try some point to point services. I've also heard that they will try and start a few new point to points also but from STL. I would guess MCO, LAX, BOS, or JFK would be in the cards for possible point to point routes besides what was announce today.

I didn't think that AWA was growing the # of aircraft in their fleet this year. I could be wrong, but if I am right, that would mean some pretty serious reductions in service at other cities as these new flights take place. Can anyone help me out here? Thank you.
14.gif

----------------
On 8/11/2003 3:45:33 PM Ch. 12 wrote:

AA also has a very poor reputation for inflight customer service.

----------------​

Do you have any stats to back that up?

Reuters
America West Expands Cross-Country Routes
Monday August 11, 4:59 pm ET
By Meredith Grossman Dubner

CHICAGO (Reuters) - America West Airlines (NYSE:AWA - News) said on Monday it will add four nonstop routes between the U.S. Northeast and West Coast, in the latest move by a low-cost carrier to step up competition with larger rivals on coast-to-coast flights......

"They're trying to show the world that they're the equal of JetBlue or any of the other low-cost carriers that have gone into these markets," said Ray Neidl, analyst at Blaylock & Partners......

One-way walk-up fares on the twice-daily flights will start at $299. Walk-up fares on other carriers in similar markets top off at $299 each way....

Some interesting lines from the press release.

----------------
On 8/11/2003 3:22:55 PM MiAAmi wrote:

Still AW is no match for AA on Trans-Cons. They may be able to snatch a few pax from AA, but AA kept 3 class service on the Trans-Cons for a reason. Something that AW can't match. AA can always match the $299 fare.
----------------​
AA also has a very poor reputation for inflight customer service. HP won't try to match that, I'm sure. HP has had a poor operational reputation in the past, but they have made marked improvements and have been recognized for that. AA still has service issues and apparently is not working to remedy them. I see HP winning on the customer service front.

More than likley AA will match the $299 fare one way or another. Still AW is no match for AA on Trans-Cons. They may be able to snatch a few pax from AA, but AA kept 3 class service on the Trans-Cons for a reason. Something that AW can't match. AA can always match the $299 fare. The Business traveler is still here, they may not be paying what they used to but they still want that upgrade to Business and First and AA has it.. AW does not. Still there is probably room for both carriers, just 2 different types of service. Just like JFK-SJU against Jetblue, AA's flights are still full.

----------------
Still there is probably room for both carriers, just 2 different types of service.
----------------​
Sure, there probably is some room. HP's two flights equals a little more capacity than one AA flight on the route.

The question is: Would you rather fly on AA with pissed off flight attendants, understaffed gate agents, unhappy pilots, countless delays and pay a few hundred more for the "honor" of flying a once proud airline that really blows now, or fly on an HP 319?

Thats not the reality at AA. I have yet to see one flight attendant treat pax any differently than they did before our concessions. Now what we might express on Bulletin boards and between each other might be completely different. But rest assure we value the customer. Flights are full and the frustrations that come along with that can't be any different then they might be at America West.

Latest posts