[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/24/2002 10:31:09 PM grndproxwarning wrote:

Anyone have any comments on how the TSA is doing at their
airports.I have heard some bad things about the Sky Marshall
program and their screeners
----------------
[/blockquote]

I too have heard bad things about the Marshalls, mainly from the McPaper (USA Today)--they really seem to have a vendetta against them--but as far as TSA vs. private screeners goes, both conventional wisdom and personal/secondhand experience have rendered nothing but praise.
Everything I've experienced/heard/read has said that they are a huge improvement over the Argenbright/Wackenhut rent-a-cops that preceeded them.

The TSA Screeners are far more professional and seem to be more attentive in screening luggage and passengers. It is also nice to know all Screeners can actually speek english properly.
They Recieve all praise from me and everyone else I know.

Thats very interesting, because at the airport I work out of most of the TSA people worked for the private security company before the government took over. Checkpoints are not bad but at the individual gates where we used to have three screeners we now have six. Thus the definition of TSA=Thousands Standing Around!!!

[P]Here's a link to a thread under US Airways which discusses TSA firings. There is also a thread floating around here somewhere, sorry can't remember where, with a story about low morale among sky marshalls. It has a link to a newspaper story where they talk about a rash of sky marshall sick calls with marshalls complaining that's the only way they can get a day off.[/P]
[P][A href=http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=1473&sessionID={FCB32E46-E011-4959-AE58-7CCA4A2E262C}]http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=1473&sessionID={FCB32E46-E011-4959-AE58-7CCA4A2E262C}[/A][/P]