Tulsa To Get Insourced 737 Wheel Maintenance

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Contrary to the typical "predictions" we see here almost daily, it looks like some good news is coming to Tulsa:

American Airlines Doing More Of Its Maintenance Work In-house

While most airlines are shipping their maintenance work to other companies, American Airlines in Tulsa is bringing more work in-house.

Tuesday, American Airlines held a ribbon-cutting to celebrate the addition of the wheel maintenance for American's entire 737 fleet.

News on 6 business reporter Steve Berg has more on how American's base in Tulsa is reversing the outsourcing trend.

For the past eight years, Robert Addington has worked at American's Wheel and Brake Center on North Memorial. And he wants to keep it rolling. "The more work, the better, keeps us working and keep us busy is all we care about really." And they're "getting" more work. In 90 days, the wheel maintenance for American's 737's, which is currently being done by Honeywell, is coming in-house to Tulsa.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?...page=1&id=77940

Way to go, AA. :up:

Of course, as usual, this is probably seen as bad news by many, so have at it.

FWAAA said:
Contrary to the typical "predictions" we see here almost daily, it looks like some good news is coming to Tulsa:

Way to go, AA. :up:

Of course, as usual, this is probably seen as bad news by many, so have at it.
[post="248153"][/post]​
The new work doesn't mean new jobs

Big deal, why hasn't this work been done in house all along? According to the twu and their friends, AA; we don't outsource anything.

Ask the guy from Channel 6 news where the components from the cf6-80c2a5 engine are done. Ask him where the cfm-56 engine components will be overhauled. Ask him the value of the blades and vanes outsourcing and why the vendors actually are given real estate within the turbine building to box up the outsourced work.

Oh by the way, ask him how many jobs the wheel and brake work will create? Then tell me we are not over manned in Tulsa.

The smoke screen is in full swing.

Decision 2004 said:
Ask the guy from Channel 6 news where the components from the cf6-80c2a5 engine are done. Ask him where the cfm-56 engine components will be overhauled. Ask him the value of the blades and vanes outsourcing and why the vendors actually are given real estate within the turbine building to box up the outsourced work.

Oh by the way, ask him how many jobs the wheel and brake work will create? Then tell me we are not over manned in Tulsa.

The smoke screen is in full swing.
[post="248159"][/post]​

I would like to know at what compensation to the mechanics this work is accomplished at?

Just my opinion, but I believe any work returning to inhouse is better news than work leaving to be outsourced. If this is "smoke", please send all unwanted "smoke" to MCIE ASAP.

seed said:
Just my opinion, but I believe any work returning to inhouse is better news than work leaving to be outsourced. If this is "smoke", please send all unwanted "smoke" to MCIE ASAP.
[post="248168"][/post]​
Seed, I don't think you have any OSM's in MCIE? Need some? This is the only mechanic class that is getting recalled, its sure not full payed and qualified mechanics. Maybe this is the only way twu outsourced work is brought back in, with the cheap twu labor rates...aka "inhouse outsourcing" The twu's way of saving jobs..... :down:

Like Decision said, when the engine work comes back without OSM's third party labor rate attached, then FAWWAA will have some thing to hang his management hat on.

Jeez, I'm so disgruntled, I should move to Tulsa so I can be in on the twu/management "Breakthough Goal" too! GO TEAM!!!! :rolleyes:

FWAAA said:
Like I said, some view all news as bad news.
[post="248167"][/post]​

FWAAA, there are situations that are of concern. Why should this work be accomplished at lower rates in the same union. Work brought in house being paid for by lower wages and find this to be acceptable.

And Seed, if you want the work negotiate the lower wages to pay for it.

Buck said:
FWAAA, there are situations that are of concern. Why should this work be accomplished at lower rates in the same union. Work brought in house being paid for by lower wages and find this to be acceptable.

And Seed, if you want the work negotiate the lower wages to pay for it.
[post="248202"][/post]​

Yeah, all you need is building full of A&P Mechanics and not pay them for their skill by removing their license pay premiuim via a reduction in force and presto, you will have more work also.

Decision 2004 said:
Yeah, all you need is building full of A&P Mechanics and not pay them for their skill by removing their license pay premiuim via a reduction in force and presto, you will have more work also.
[post="248204"][/post]​

Well, out of total ignorance for what's involved, how much skill does wheel repair really require? I wouldn't expect it to be as demanding as something like, say, structural welding?

FWAAA said:
[post="248167"][/post]​
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SORRY FWAAA, Your "disingenuines"(SP?) is showing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decision asked specific questions, and you(seem) to have chosen to disregard them !!!!!!!!!

You almost always "agree to disagree" within a window of respectability.

IMHO, your OUTSIDE that window with this particuliar reply.

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SORRY FWAAA, Your "disingenuines"(SP?) is showing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decision asked specific questions, and you(seem) to have chosen to disregard them !!!!!!!!!

You almost always "agree to disagree" within a window of respectability.

IMHO, your OUTSIDE that window with this particuliar reply.

NH/BB's
[post="248258"][/post]​

I've posted numerous times that I am not now, have I ever been employed by AMR or any of its subsidiaries. So I am unqualified to answer specific questions about where specific components are overhauled/repaired.

Given the tone of his question, it is apparent to me that Decision knows the answers. But I might be mistaken.

His questions remind me of the guy who complains about the temperature of the beer given to him when he's dying of thirst in the desert.

The story I posted is the only instance I can recall in the past 3+ years of a legacy airline bringing back in-house maintenance work that was previously outsourced. If anyone can point out other examples, more power to them.

OF COURSE the work won't be at spectacular wages. More and more, those days look to be over. I hope they aren't. But I'm probably overly optimistic.

But the story sure looks like better news to me than a headline that reads "AA Outsources Even More Work Previously Performed Inhouse." I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.

FWAAA said:
The story I posted is the only instance I can recall in the past 3+ years of a legacy airline bringing back in-house maintenance work that was previously outsourced. If anyone can point out other examples, more power to them.

[post="248264"][/post]​

FYI...This work(wheels and tires) was always done in-house at line stations around the country. AA had a better idea years ago called the SRP rate of pay, starting at $9 an hour. The work was removed from all line stations and were to be centralized in Tulsa and then shipped out to the line stations(U.S.mail left behind because of tires :rolleyes: ). AA of course forgot that you need a building for this work and so therefore they outsourced it all to Honeywell for many years.

So does this centralized tires work, well I can tell you one thing, we never ran out of tires when they were done at the line but on many occassions now, planes will be put out of service awaiting tires to be shipped from Tulsa. All because someone had a better idea...... :down: :down:

FWAAA said:
[post="248167"][/post]​

You seen what I have to work around all day! And they say Management creates a bad work enviorment!

Actually Hackman, I would love to see a shop full of OSM's at MCIE. That would mean 100% of our furloughed mechanics had returned to work and then a hiring process enacted.

You can be assured that AA is getting this work done at bottom dollar, or they would not have returned it inhouse. The OSM program, with all of it's obvious monetary lackings to the mechanics enrolled, was voted into existence by the naatives, now they should enter language to remove it.

Your lives in TULE could be worse. At MCIE we have no "home dock" designation for an aircraft. Meaning, the MD80's, 737's and so on, are all home to other bases. We are home to the bottle shop and the slide shop, whooopeeeeee! God bless AA management. This means that we will not receive any 3rd party work, as far as major O/H, on aircraft that other bases work. Not sure what they want us to work here, except perhaps our resume building talent.

Bottom line, be glad you have work.