Keep Tulsa Strong!

Buck

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
www.fairtax.org
Transport Workers Fight to Keep American Airlines Jobs in Tulsa

Representatives of the Transport Worker Union Local 514 today appealed to local and state elected leaders to help keep more than 230 maintenance control technician positions and related jobs in Tulsa, rather than relocate them to Dallas as planned by American Airlines. Relocation of the jobs would mean the loss of about $14.6 million in combined wages currently circulating in the local economy and tax base.

“The loss of these jobs will be especially painful for Tulsa and Oklahoma because of all that the city and state have done to support American Airlines so that great jobs remain in our local economy,” said Sam Cirri, president of Transport Workers Union, Local 514, which represents about 5,600 airline workers in Tulsa. “We believe there is a better solution than consolidation of these jobs in Dallas and we urge our elected leaders to join us as we work together to keep these jobs here.”

Many of the 230 local workers who hold positions that are up for relocation have indicated that they would find other work locally rather than move their families and face a cost of living increase with no wage increase. As a result, American Airlines would lose experienced workers and the institutional knowledge they possess.

“This situation creates a lot of uncertainty for our workers and their families,” said Cirri. “We need the support of the public and the political will of our elected representatives to arrive at a sensible solution.”

Contact theLocal for more info [sic]

Representatives of the Transport Worker Union Local 514 today appealed to local and state elected leaders to help keep more than 230 maintenance control technician positions and related jobs in Tulsa, rather than relocate them to Dallas as planned by American Airlines. Relocation of the jobs would mean the loss of about $14.6 million in combined wages currently circulating in the local economy and tax base.

“The loss of these jobs will be especially painful for Tulsa and Oklahoma because of all that the city and state have done to support American Airlines so that great jobs remain in our local economy,” said Sam Cirri, president of Transport Workers Union, Local 514, which represents about 5,600 airline workers in Tulsa. “We believe there is a better solution than consolidation of these jobs in Dallas and we urge our elected leaders to join us as we work together to keep these jobs here.”

Many of the 230 local workers who hold positions that are up for relocation have indicated that they would find other work locally rather than move their families and face a cost of living increase with no wage increase. As a result, American Airlines would lose experienced workers and the institutional knowledge they possess.

“This situation creates a lot of uncertainty for our workers and their families,” said Cirri. “We need the support of the public and the political will of our elected representatives to arrive at a sensible solution.”

Maybe the TWU will offer more concessions to keep those jobs in TUL.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe the TWU will offer more concessions to keep those jobs in TUL.
Oh yeah - I can see them doing that for the $10.58k in monthly dues to the local. Without that coming in, there'd be a helluva hit to a few lifestyles.

The bottom line here is not the income loss to Tulsa and the surrounding areas, rather, the loss of over $10.5k of dues money per month to Local 514 (before the 20% cut of the International) - gotta pay for those Buicks somehow.

Reactions: 2 people

this relocation fiasco was the brain child of some management type, who wanted MOC, SOC and others located in a single location. Move the tech guys away from airplanes that are in walking distances now. Such silliness by management again. Tech people need to be near the airplanes they are suppose to support, not out in Ft. Worth near the Flight Academy. What has never been utilized as far as I remember, is the problems in Maintenance that the tech guys encounter daily, never have been given to the maint training department to make recurrent training worthwhile. Last I checked tech service and maint training were on the same floor in Tulsa. If they didn't communicate before by walking down the hall, they certainly will not do it from afar except by carrier pigeon!!!!

this relocation fiasco was the brain child of some management type, who wanted MOC, SOC and others located in a single location. Move the tech guys away from airplanes that are in walking distances now. Such silliness by management again. Tech people need to be near the airplanes they are suppose to support, not out in Ft. Worth near the Flight Academy. What has never been utilized as far as I remember, is the problems in Maintenance that the tech guys encounter daily, never have been given to the maint training department to make recurrent training worthwhile. Last I checked tech service and maint training were on the same floor in Tulsa. If they didn't communicate before by walking down the hall, they certainly will not do it from afar except by carrier pigeon!!!!
Just another step in the closing of TULE.

Rather Comical in a way.
The "Union" has exposed it's definition of fight.
It resembles more like "Beg" than "fight".

When this happened to Northwest Employees working in Atlanta, at that time "AMFA" was to blame.
When it happens in Tulsa to the TWU, we beg state and local leaders to run to the rescue of the allmighty TWU.
And everyone on the planet but the TWU is to blame.

Unlaghable double standard. In Your Face.

the problems in Maintenance that the tech guys encounter daily, never have been given to the maint training department to make recurrent training worthwhile. Last I checked tech service and maint training were on the same floor in Tulsa.
If utilized properly, you've named the single most important reason for them to stay

Just another step in the closing of TULE.
I know a few of the 767 tech guys at AFW, they never leave the cube farm. MEL references and FIM are the're specialty. These guys can work in India alongside Dell customer service. I don't think it matters where they work so why move them?

I know a few of the 767 tech guys at AFW, they never leave the cube farm. MEL references and FIM are the're specialty. These guys can work in India alongside Dell customer service. I don't think it matters where they work so why move them?
Move those people out of Tulsa, that way Tulsa can have a new name over the door, but AA will still have MOC. AA might keep there planes in TUL, but eventually AA isn't going to be on the fancy sign out front.

Move those people out of Tulsa, that way Tulsa can have a new name over the door, but AA will still have MOC. AA might keep there planes in TUL, but eventually AA isn't going to be on the fancy sign out front.
Eventually the polar ice cap will melt and the Cubs will win the World Series. But the twu will still be doing their "Campaign for Justice."

Eventually the polar ice cap will melt and the Cubs will win the World Series. But the twu will still be doing their "Campaign for Justice."

BROTHER

You are way out of order and need your dues raised....

Which will come first Cubs winning that world series, or the replacement of the TWU?

BTW, when the Cubbies WIN that world series, I'll be there to witness it!!

Funny, when it's your job/base it's much more pressing. Why should I fight for Tulsa? Did you help us fight for MCI? No !!!!!! Sorry but I'm going to sit back and ride for as long as it last. This is what you young guys have taught me to think of, ME Me ME. Good luck.

Funny, when it's your job/base it's much more pressing. Why should I fight for Tulsa? Did you help us fight for MCI? No !!!!!! Sorry but I'm going to sit back and ride for as long as it last. This is what you young guys have taught me to think of, ME Me ME. Good luck.
Stop and think about what's going on here, boys and girlz.

A few aircraft get sent out because the base's capabilities are stretched due to piss-poor planning, and 230 jobs get sent to Texass - still in the TWU, but the Texass local will be collecting the dues, not 514.

Two non-related issues.

Latest posts