TWU 555 and IAM 142

gizmo_sc

Veteran
Mar 19, 2006
TWU 555 WN RAMP /OPS/ PROV and IAM 142 FL RAMP have been meeting since the purchase of FL. TWU has submitted several seniority integration suggestions all IAM has turned down. It decided today since both parties have not been able to reach any solution to seniority integration it needed to go to arbitration. Both parties will meet April 12-16 in Washington, DC with a Federal 3 man panel to propose such integration. With a final ruling expected on/about May 1, 2012. However there is still time for such seniority list to resolved prior to start of such meetings. It would have to be a quick resolution because any proposal would have to have time to be sent out for members to vote on.

TWU 555 and IAM 142 have been meeting since the purchase of FL. TWU has submitted several seniority integration suggestions all IAM has turned down. It decided today since both parties have not been able to reach any solution to seniority integration it needed to go to arbitration. Both parties will meet April 12-16 in Washington, DC with a Federal 3 man panel to propose such integration. With a final ruling expected on/about May 1, 2012. However there is still time for such seniority list to resolved prior to start of such meetings. It would have to be a quick resolution because any proposal would have to have time to be sent out for members to vote on.

What groups do TWU 555 and IAM 142 represent? And what is the point of your post? To vague, not getting it.

http://www.twu555.org/

http://www.iamdl142.org/

Does this help, GOOGLE can be your friend in more ways than ONE.

The IAM is such absolute garbage. They move in to unionize these people at the very last minute, then sit there for months and do NOTHING. Propose NOTHING. Only reject offers and then eventually decertify and hand the group over to the existing 142 lodge who already represent the incumbent Southwest customer service agents. How the hell does that work!? I guess it's a foregone conclusion that the customer service portion of that group are just integrated at full seniority. So now two Southwest in house lodges have to negotiate between each other. LOL, great stuff.. I guess the 142 was less interested in looking out for it's members' best interests than just going for the dues money grab throwing it's entire membership under the bus.. You customer service people better wake up and lose that ridiculous union. Now you've gone ahead and set a really poor precedent for our equivalent work groups in ground operations. Way to go..

Say what you want about TWU.. They didn't go out and simply sell it's own work groups up a creek! They put surveys out, put together a proposal that best reflected the will of the membership, and spent months knocking on IAM 141's door.

Yeah - just do NOTHING but get it passed along to arbitration... At least they should have proposed SOMETHING so the TWU membership could have voted on it. That way there would be some input from the rank and file that could be presented at the arbitration hearing. TWU members are gonna get screwed once again. In my opinion there are two ways to "integrate" seniority -

#1 - staple the AT list underneath the last TWU member who has completed probation as of the ratification date - OR

#2 - re-interview, and if they are hired by SWA they are placed on the same 6 month probationary period as SWA new hires. If they complete that - then they can use like 75% of their AT seniority to fit in our list.

We should not have to accept them all - and let them bump our people down - just because they were fortunate enough to be bought by SWA and given better everything right off the bat. And the TWU is dropping the ball if they do not fight for something like that. :angry:

Yeah - just do NOTHING but get it passed along to arbitration... At least they should have proposed SOMETHING so the TWU membership could have voted on it. That way there would be some input from the rank and file that could be presented at the arbitration hearing. TWU members are gonna get screwed once again. In my opinion there are two ways to "integrate" seniority -

#1 - staple the AT list underneath the last TWU member who has completed probation as of the ratification date - OR

#2 - re-interview, and if they are hired by SWA they are placed on the same 6 month probationary period as SWA new hires. If they complete that - then they can use like 75% of their AT seniority to fit in our list.

We should not have to accept them all - and let them bump our people down - just because they were fortunate enough to be bought by SWA and given better everything right off the bat. And the TWU is dropping the ball if they do not fight for something like that. :angry:

The TWU did fight for it, but at this point we're going to be at the mercy of arbitration and Southwest Customer Service's own union is to thank for it. For not only selling it's own members up a creek but dragging the 555 along for the ride. Thanks a million!

An arbitrator is only going to look at what the IAM did, which was to bring the CS groups together seamlessly, and think why should ramp and ops be any different... It kind of makes you wonder if the whole IAM certification of AirTran's ground people wasn't a sandbagging operation from the beginning.. Lodge 142 just saw an opportunity to snatch those dues away from TWU, certified "141", laid down from the beginning for full seniority integration (I'm curious how Southwest's CS agents felt about that), intentionally stalled for arbitration, then just offloaded the members into 142.. Southwest employees lose, IAM wins.. I hope those IAM members at Southwest CS are glad they pay those union dues for all the fabulous protections they enjoy.. If there's not a group of Southwest CS people organizing a desertification effort right now they deserve everything they get in addition to the dirty looks they'll get from their coworkers on the crew bus rides home every day from now on.

FAIL!

The agent groups were already both IAM. Since that's the case, the IAM's integration policy prevails. It's "seamless," because it's already established.

You guys need to direct your anger away from FL workers, who like you, had ZERO say in this coming together, and instead focus it on the B.O.D.'s & shareholders who did.

Are you honestly that out of touch that you don't know which unions/locals represent other groups on the WN property? It's early, so please tell me that I missed something here.

Are you kidding? I know all the unions that represent our other workgroups. What I don't have memorized is the locals numbers (555 or 556 ect...) representing which group. In other words; I know the TWU represents F/A's, and ramp, just didn't know which local number went with each corasponding group. I will say this, if you have all that by memory, then good for you. I don't keep anything in my memory bank unless it effects me 24/7.

Look at the TWU/IAM arbitration between AA/TWA for an idea of what you may end up with.

Funny,reading these comments about stapling or reinterviewing and going on probation takes me back about 11 years to the AA/TWA fun and games.

No one will be happy with the arbitration results,take that to the bank.

Look at the TWU/IAM arbitration between AA/TWA for an idea of what you may end up with.

Funny,reading these comments about stapling or reinterviewing and going on probation takes me back about 11 years to the AA/TWA fun and games.

No one will be happy with the arbitration results,take that to the bank.

Can you enlighten us a little on the TWU/IAM arbitration. I do know that Tom (is it) Horn was on the board of negotiating for the IAM with alot of consessions in many many table talks.

It was a formula based on the ASM's of the two carriers on a station by station basis.IIRC if TWA was X percentage of the combined ASM's at a particular station they got 25% of their occupational seniority,if TWA had no presence or failed to meet the ASM percentage they got the closing date of the transaction ( 4/10/01) as a seniority date.

In STL they retained 100% seniority as obviously that was their only hub at the time.The decision resulted in numerous challenges and additional rulings.

Basically no one was happy.

TWA did get full credit for company seniority which is used for vacation bidding and pay purposes.

Back