TWU and Teamsters are mirror images of each other.

Thank you for answering my question Tex-mech. Its been a many years since I have posted or asked any question on this forum.

I signed a teamsters and an AMFA card believing in anything but the twu. I now believe I made a huge mistake in signing a teamster card.

I have another question. There are a couple of teamster reps here in Tulsa, are they appointed or are they elected?

Just to add onto the previous post, here is the UAL language.
ARTICLE XXVII

EFFECTIVE DATE AND DURATION

This Agreement shall become effective January 1, 2005 except as otherwise provided,

and shall continue in full force and effect through December 31, 2009 and shall thereafter

renew itself yearly without change each January 1st unless written notice of intended

change is served in accordance with Title I, Section 6 of the Railway Labor Act by either

party at least thirty (30) but not more than two hundred and seventy (270) days prior to

December 31, 2009 or December 31 of any year thereafter. If such notice is served,

negotiations will commence no more than 30 days after service. If a new tentative agreement

is not reached by August 1, 2009 (or any August 1 thereafter, if applicable), the

parties will jointly invoke the mediation services of the National Mediation Board under

Section 5 of the Act.
So now they are bragging, or rather spinning, about doing what the previous union had put into the contract. What's next, bragging about giving concessions--oh wait, we already have that union. :p

The UAL or SWA guys can give you a first hand account of how the Teamsters function, but there are a few things that I can answer from researching them. The Teamsters have stated that the local will be based in Houston, and that we would have business agents at our bases. Those business agents, who pretty much control the contract are appointed, and we can fully expect the likes of the ATD boys to fill those roles. I will let the UAL guys explain the spilt local in SFO for you, along with their thoughts.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for answering my question Tex-mech. Its been a many years since I have posted or asked any question on this forum.

I signed a teamsters and an AMFA card believing in anything but the twu. I now believe I made a huge mistake in signing a teamster card.

I have another question. There are a couple of teamster reps here in Tulsa, are they appointed or are they elected?

Hi Rusty,
Some of your questions can be answered here:
http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/53807-amfa-vs-teamsters/page__st__10#entry929299

Too bad some did not do research into the reamsters before the vote but it is what it is.

Best Regards and don't stress yourself out too much.
BK is a ####!
Take Care,
B) xUT

Hi everyone, I have a question. Did the Teamster reopen the contract at UAL due to new representation as they have implied? I have a flyer from them saying they didn't, and now, have seen a video from them saying they did.

It make me think they called up their attorney to make a video, told him what to say and he messed it up.

There are people in my shop asking for a legal opinion. Now that it has come from their attorney does this make it a legal opinion/statement of fact?

Rusty, I would also like to add. If any union (including AMFA or the teamsters) were to win an election for representation at AA, none of them could force a re-opening of the contract that was just passed by the mechs. YES, they (the new union, AMFA or teamsters) could request to re-open the contract, BUT, the company must agree to in order for it to happend. If the co. refuses to re-open then the AA mechs must wait until the amendable date of the current contract. Here's another scenario on the same issue; let's say SWA had just came into extreme hard times and was fixin to file for BK. The company ask to a re-opener of the current contract that is not due to amend until 2013, the company would request for a re-opener, but it would take the agreement of the membership (AMFA union) in order to do so. Same thing if the roles were reversed, if the teamsters or AMFA was to win the election over the TWU they could request a re-opener, but the company must agree to do so. Just because a new union wins representational election over another union does not garrentee a re-opener. The only time it is pretty much garrenteed is when a non-union employee group wins representational union election for the very first time that the company is forced to sit and nego a contract, this is called "newly certified" employee group, not a change in unions representation.
By all means don't believe me, write the NMB by E-mail and snail mail and await your answers. They will get to you, but you have time to get your answers prior to any election, so pls take the time to research yourself. I know this was long but always research for yourself, you will be amazed at all the lies the teamsters will tell to get you to sign a teamster card. Good luck brother, and don't be afraid of change, encourage it. Go AMFA!!

Reactions: 2 people
Rusty,

Now that you realize that the teamsters are the same as the twu can you help organize AMFA? At least in your shop?

[font="Arial""]Ken, I have been studying up on this forum and see plenty of documented proof. [/font]

[font="Arial""]The shop I work in has signed both AMFA and Teamster cards. The problem I see is when it comes to the election, there are a few that will side with Teamsters, because they are being promised things that are half true and/or complete lies.[/font]

[font="Arial""]The more I see, the more disgusted I get.[/font]

Just to add onto the previous post, here is the UAL language.

So now they are bragging, or rather spinning, about doing what the previous union had put into the contract. What's next, bragging about giving concessions--oh wait, we already have that union. :p

The UAL or SWA guys can give you a first hand account of how the Teamsters function, but there are a few things that I can answer from researching them. The Teamsters have stated that the local will be based in Houston, and that we would have business agents at our bases. Those business agents, who pretty much control the contract are appointed, and we can fully expect the likes of the ATD boys to fill those roles. I will let the UAL guys explain the spilt local in SFO for you, along with their thoughts.

Unelected bussiness agents running our contract is not something I would personally care for. Although I did hear a member at one time say "We hire the union to do our thinking for us". So I assume there are some that like being under outside control.

Unelected bussiness agents running our contract is not something I would personally care for. Although I did hear a member at one time say "We hire the union to do our thinking for us". So I assume there are some that like being under outside control.

Look were letting someone else think for us got us. :D

But to those who want the union to do their thinking, I would think that even they would want a way to get rid of the "thinker" when he or she is no longer thinking like they would. ;) That is not an option under the Teamsters.

Look were letting someone else think for us got us. :D

But to those who want the union to do their thinking, I would think that even they would want a way to get rid of the "thinker" when he or she is no longer thinking like they would. ;) That is not an option under the Teamsters.

Or the TWU. Or the IAM.