TWU Ignores Exec Bonuses

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Press Release Source: American Airlines, Inc.; Transport Workers Union

American Airlines, Transport Workers Union Launch Joint Ad Campaign
Tuesday April 10, 12:31 pm ET
Advertising Reflects Strength of American as Contract Aircraft Maintenance Provider

FORT WORTH, Texas, April 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines and the Transport Workers Union (TWU), representing the airline's maintenance workers, today unveiled a new print advertising campaign that focuses on the airline's ability to transform itself into a world-class aircraft maintenance provider.

ADVERTISEMENT
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070410/DATU027 )

In addition to the $100 million investment in the American Airlines Maintenance Services group approved in late March by the AMR Board of Directors, American is investing further with advertising targeted at potential customers. The ad campaign, which breaks today, is part of American's ongoing efforts to generate awareness of, and build, its contract maintenance business.

The campaign underscores American's commitment to its Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) business and its effort to achieve the right balance between investment in this business and the need for continued financial improvement, both in terms of revenue growth and cost reduction.

"We are changing the way we are doing business, not only for our external customers, but in how we work with our employees and union partners," said Bob Reding, American's Senior Vice President - Technical Operations. "The only way this transformation will succeed is by engaging and taking advantage of the experience, knowledge and ingenuity of our talented workforce. This is why this ad campaign will focus on our front-line M&E employees -- they are the reason for our current and future success as a leading MRO provider."

The initial advertisement will appear in newspapers in markets such as Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Tulsa, Okla., and other U.S. cities. The ad will appear in leading aircraft and aviation trade magazines throughout the summer. The ad features an aircraft maintenance technician working in day-to-day activities and reiterates that by streamlining costs and improving efficiencies, American is able to offer customers a one-stop shop for all their maintenance requirements.

"American's vision is to become the premier North American MRO provider, and this ad campaign captures the main reason this is possible -- the dedication and hard work of TWU members," said John M. Conley, International Representative and AA System Coordinator, TWU. "We decided early on to minimize uncertainty, and together recognized that our future would be far more predictable by continuing down that path. When you look at our achievements and the reputation we have built, we are well on our way to becoming a world-class MRO."

For the past three years, American and the TWU have been working together to transform the airline's maintenance organization from a cost center to a profit center. Using the rigorous principles of Continuous Improvement, the maintenance team has increased efficiencies, reduced costs and significantly enhanced operations.

In 2006, American generated more than $95 million in third-party revenue and set a goal to increase that amount by the end of 2007 to $175 million, not including $225 million of engine overhaul work performed for customer airlines by Texas Aero Engine Services Limited (TAESL), a joint venture between American and Rolls-Royce.

American Airlines Maintenance Services offers a full line of airframe, engine, component and line maintenance services and customizes those services to meet the specific needs of each client. American's MRO business has a growing customer base of more than 70 different entities ranging from domestic and international airlines to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) to the U.S. military.

Learn more about American Airlines Maintenance Services by visiting http://www.mroaa.com .

About The Transport Workers Union

The Transport Workers Union of America (TWU) is an international union representing more than 130,000 workers employed in commercial aviation, rail, and public transportation, including 27,000 American Airlines employees. TWU represents more workers at American than any other union. The union is affiliated with the AFL-CIO.

About American Airlines

American Airlines is the world's largest airline. American, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® airlines serve 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 4,000 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award-winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld® Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve more than 600 destinations in over 135 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR - News). AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com and We know why you fly are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

AmericanAirlines® We know why you fly®

...and it says they're ignoring the stock based bonuses where? Just because you've got an issue of contension doesn't mean you stop everything else too.

Ok, I've seen and heard the hype, the full page newspaper ad, all the back slapping, and the we did its from the company and the twu. If we're everything they say then we all deserve a big raise along with the executives and their bonuses. I don't begrudge anybody a piece of the pie as long I'm served liberally as well. So TWU, I'll be waiting.

The pajama party has now advanced to a full blown nudist club with booze, beaches, and food.

However, as I visit the local Lowes, Home Depot, and Best Buy, I see Tulsa Based AMT's working off shift at their second jobs. Not just a few in Tulsa are working second jobs now, many are.

TWU represented workers are no longer near as happy and eager to continue the charade as the leaders are. The question is, will there ever be a TWU ballot or referendum that will expose the truth?

"Patience is our greatest virtue"
O.V. Delle-Femine

However, as I visit the local Lowes, Home Depot, and Best Buy, I see Tulsa Based AMT's working off shift at their second jobs. Not just a few in Tulsa are working second jobs now, many are.

Hey, at least they're prepared for when the base closes...

I guess the fact it took this long for AMT's to resort to that says you really were overpaid... ;)

Back in 1997, there were three or four analysts (L3/L4) in my wing alone working part-time at Home Depot, plus three more working for Talbots, Crate and Barrel, and the Container Store. And those were just the ones willing to admit they were working second jobs to make ends meet.

The question is, will there ever be a TWU ballot or referendum that will expose the truth?

"Patience is our greatest virtue"
O.V. Delle-Femine
We don't need the truth just yet do we? It appears our stock (mechanics worth) rises with each additional press release proclaiming the experience (16.5 yr. avg.), knowledge, and ingenuity of our talented workforce. Negotiations should be a slam dunk with all the revenue maintenance is generating. $50,000,000 profit in 3rd party work should easily cover the cost of 7,000 mechanics in Tulsa. Doesn't that make our labor virtually free? What a deal. WE ARE GOOD!

We don't need the truth just yet do we? It appears our stock (mechanics worth) rises with each additional press release proclaiming the experience (16.5 yr. avg.), knowledge, and ingenuity of our talented workforce. Negotiations should be a slam dunk with all the revenue maintenance is generating. $50,000,000 profit in 3rd party work should easily cover the cost of 7,000 mechanics in Tulsa. Doesn't that make our labor virtually free? What a deal. WE ARE GOOD!

That comes out to $3.43 and hour. I wouldn't sell yourself for under minimum wage.

That comes out to $3.43 and hour. I wouldn't sell yourself for under minimum wage.

I won't ask for an explaination since I'm on a mission. I will go with the $3.43 an hour raise for starters. I think the $5.15 is a stretch. I believe it now when the company/union say we're the greatest. So, we deserve vacation, holidays, and sick leave back as well.

I won't ask for an explaination since I'm on a mission. I will go with the $3.43 an hour raise for starters. I think the $5.15 is a stretch. I believe it now when the company/union say we're the greatest. So, we deserve vacation, holidays, and sick leave back as well.

My point was taking 50 mil and divide it 7000 than divide by 2080 hours, 50 mil isn’t much in the big picture. If your on a mission I’m here for ya. :up:

Ok, I've seen and heard the hype, the full page newspaper ad, all the back slapping, and the we did its from the company and the twu. If we're everything they say then we all deserve a big raise along with the executives and their bonuses. I don't begrudge anybody a piece of the pie as long I'm served liberally as well. So TWU, I'll be waiting.

The TWU takes out a full page ad in Tulsa proclaiming their love for the company and the APFA takes one out in USA Today critcizing their greed. See what democracy can do?

Time to get rid of the TWU.

...and it says they're ignoring the stock based bonuses where? Just because you've got an issue of contension doesn't mean you stop everything else too.
<_< ---- Well that all depends if you want to make a point, or just be the company whore!

The APFA ad is on www.apfa.org There is a link on the front page in red. If you weren't looking for it in the paper, you might have missed it. It doesn't stand out being black and white. After reading it, I thought it was good.