Ual And Afa

spacewaitress

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
Press Release Source: United Airlines

United Airlines Issues Statement on Agreement with Association of Flight Attendants
Saturday January 8, 8:59 pm ET

CHICAGO, Jan. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- We are pleased to have reached a tentative agreement with the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) on the permanent labor cost savings we need to successfully complete our restructuring, while leaving pension issues to be resolved. Over the next 90 days, we will work with the AFA to attempt to resolve pension issues. This tentative agreement will now go the AFA's Master Executive Council for review and approval and then go out to the AFA members for a ratification vote. At this time, United is deferring to the AFA to explain the terms of this tentative agreement to its members. Because of the tentative agreements with the AFA and AMFA (Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association), we will not be moving forward with an 1113© trial at this time.

I wonder what we will have to give up. They say not pensions. If this is true then Ua needs to bring the f/a pension current now, before I take any paycut. I know this company and if we don't hold their feet to the fire on this pension issue they will come back 6 months from now and say sorry we can't live up to our bargin.

They will do and say anything. I guess they don't like the way operations have been the last 10 days or so. It was like natural chaos.

Pension issue to be decided within 90 days.
Cost neutral early out discussed w/in 30 days (how is this possible?)
9.5% paycut
No work rule changes.
4 fewer days vacation.
100% sick leave/4 hrs month credit

This is the leak from another board (take it for what it's worth)

The pension issue needs to be on the table now not 90 days out. It would be rediculous to vote on a contract change and not address the pension issue. Seems there was a lot of room for negociation here. I think the company is just buying time for something else, what I don't know.

They tell us how short we are on f/a's. I worked several trips the last 30 days where we had 4 f/a's working a 37 and 319. What a waste of manpower and money. This company waste more money trying to save a dime. We need managers that can make real business decisions.

This company waste more money trying to save a dime
I agree...thankfully our work rules are in tact, such as they are. If we had given any of those this time around, it would just translate into greater license for the scheduler's wasteful scheduling.

I wish somehow scheduling could be held accountable for all their waste. It's ridiculous!

I wonder if we'll be able to vote separately once the pension issue is resolved?

Space - I think again it's a waste of time to vote without having the pension issue resolved. The company doesn't want a chaos situation at this time, they will do anything to avaid it.

Davidowich and the union negociating team needs to put togther a complete contract with the company rather than a piecemeal contract. It's total BS at this time because you know they will come to us again in 3 months wanting more cuts and the pension terminated. I think the company is hanging by a thread and management is affraid they will be replaced or Ua will be broken into pieces and sold. It's not a fear of mine, but I think management fears it.

The pension issue is a non issue. The company has long stated that they intend to do away with all the pensions and replace them with a DC plan or some other less costly plan. Get the best you can on your contract now not including the pension, because it's eventually gone.

Borescope - It's funny how our union wants the union dues every month. It's funny how they a gree to a deal that they know does not inclued a pension and then tell us Ua will deal with the pension issue in 90 days. It's BS.

Davidowich and group should all resign. They said that their was no deal without a pension and now they are waffling.

It's time the judge let's other company's make a bid for Ua before the pension issue is killed otherwise this company is history. Ua still has a past obligation to the pesion fund and that obligation is not unsecured.

uafa21 said:
Davidowich and group should all resign. They said that their was no deal without a pension and now they are waffling.
[post="237946"][/post]​

So, a different MEC President would be able to keep our pensions?

LMAO.

Face it. They're gone. For all of us. Blaming Davidowitch is naive.

uafa21 said:
I think the company is hanging by a thread and management is affraid they will be replaced or Ua will be broken into pieces and sold. It's not a fear of mine, but I think management fears it.
[post="237670"][/post]​

It may not be a concern of yours, but it damn sure is for many of us who still like and still NEED our jobs. I don't seem to recall that the TWA folks fared too well during their airline's fragmentation...

olyinaz said:
It may not be a concern of yours, but it damn sure is for many of us who still like and still NEED our jobs. I don't seem to recall that the TWA folks fared too well during their airline's fragmentation...
[post="238268"][/post]​
<_< Boy is that an understatement!!!!!! Signed:"One of a.a.'s redheaded step children!"

Davidawich said no work rule changes, BS. He said that the pensions would not be affected, BS. What the hell are we paying union dues for anyway. So these union guys can go to their montly party.

I look at this from both a taxpayer standpoint and an employee. If everyone whats to give up pensions and let the pbgc take them over then we will be voting for the demise of Ua. The pbgc is a federal government agency. They will do what they have to do in order to insure that the funds are satisfied to the fullest they can be.

They could force, by way of the bk court Ua to liquidate and take their share. The money is owed for the past.