UAL Enrolled Friend standby travel Q

Kara

Aug 9, 2019
Hi all - My father is a retired UAL employee and now that I'm one of his Enrolled Friends.

I have standby reservation from Barcelona to Boston with a connecting flight in New Jersey coming up. My standby tickets are for Polaris Business/First Class, respectively.

Because it is urgent I make it back to the states that day, I'm considering purchasing an economy ticket (via UAL discount) for JUST the first leg of my journey (Barcelona to NJ). I still plan to fly standby for the second leg of my journey (NJ to BOS).

I hope to purchase an economy ticket for assurance I'll get on the flight, but still want to be eligible for a Polaris business upgrade via the standby list. Is this possible? I'm DYING to try out the new Dreamliner's Polaris Business, and will really kick myself the day of if there's open seats that I'm no longer eligible for since I purchased a ticket.

I'm wondering will buying a ticket a) cancel or partially cancel my current standby reservation? b) remove me from the standby list so I won't be eligible for an upgrade? c) effect my luggage at all (scared it will be just left in NJ)?

TLDR: Want to purchase an economy ticket for one leg of my standby journey but worried it will screw up my reservation and end my chances of getting upgraded or effect my luggage.

If you purchase a seat, you won't be on the standby list for an upgrade. You'll need to claim bags at EWR when you clear customs, and would be able to re-check to BOS.

The travel policies usually have a restriction against holding a revenue seat and a standby booking, so you should probably cancel the duplicate before you get caught for that. It could get you in hot water and maybe cause your registered friend status to be revoked.

Okay I haven't booked duplicate anything yet- just have the standby. Thank you!

If you purchase a seat, you won't be on the standby list for an upgrade. You'll need to claim bags at EWR when you clear customs, and would be able to re-check to BOS.

The travel policies usually have a restriction against holding a revenue seat and a standby booking, so you should probably cancel the duplicate before you get caught for that. It could get you in hot water and maybe cause your registered friend status to be revoked.

You are correct E - sound advice.