UAL takes advertising aim at Southwest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, they were.

And, does it matter? LUV has had less fatal accidents than UA has. In fact, LUV's fatal accident total is less than the subset of fatal accidents that UA has had where pilot error was the cause.

You should have a little more humility. It can happen to anyone. Want to talk about DTW in '82 where the seat switcharoo and the apparent inability to run a checklist bit UA in the butt?

Well clue. Hopefully we have learned from our mistakes. You guys seem to like to make the same one, over and over. Humility? Look in the mirror. You are the tombstone thrower but hey we can debate this all day if you wish.

Serving 2 cities in '72 hardly made you much of an airline back then. The guys may have switched seats, in dtw, but they were on a frieghter and I bet they had their clothes on.

We can argue stats all day long.

Reference to what Braniff said back in '72? Believe BF's fate was tied to AA not LUV you boob.
It was a little of both, you bigger boob. And if you want to really get technical, it had more to do with Harding Lawrence's grandois expansion plans that really killed them. Between empty flight from Portland to Hong Kong, low fare flights between Dallas and Houston, and opening 30 some odd new cities overnight, the stage was pretty much set.

But I do think it's funny that that puny little gnat of an airline is now one that you blame for trying to kill UAL. And considering they still serve so many fewer cities than UAL, that's quite an accomplishment.

Reference to what Braniff said back in '72? Believe BF's fate was tied to AA not LUV you boob.

Just to chime in with some historical accuracy:

The logo on Braniff's tail might have said BI but their two letter airline identifier was BN, not BF.

And I can make one heck of an argument that it was, inr fact, Southwest Airlines Co that led to the demise of Braniff. However, that will have to w ait for another thread.

But I do think it's funny that that puny little gnat of an airline is now one that you blame for trying to kill UAL.

I don't blame SWA for trying to kill UAL. Let me restate my feelings. I think SWA is the equivilant to Wal-Mart. They are shisters that want to thought of a homey and nice. I don't spend money at Wal-Mart, Sams or any other venture. I would not buy a ticket on SWA if it ment I had to drive across country. They are the corporate GWB. Fortunate and formidable only because of lineage and leverage. Those that do only fly SWA and say it is because they are cheaper are missing out on many better fare deals.

I don't blame SWA for trying to kill UAL. Let me restate my feelings. I think SWA is the equivilant to Wal-Mart. They are shisters that want to thought of a homey and nice. I don't spend money at Wal-Mart, Sams or any other venture. I would not buy a ticket on SWA if it ment I had to drive across country. They are the corporate GWB. Fortunate and formidable only because of lineage and leverage. Those that do only fly SWA and say it is because they are cheaper are missing out on many better fare deals.
Please explain to me how SWA can be compared to Walmart.!!

Please explain to me how SWA can be compared to Walmart.!!

Walmart claims to be the "low price leader" SWA makes similar claims. If you wish to research the issue on WM you can look up www.pbs.org and order "Wal-Mart, Is it good for America?" The very basis of the two companies is very close. SWA claims to have the lowest fares but it is a bit of a bait. They may have the lowest fare for a couple of seats but after that they are at or above the price of the others. Wal-Mart will have a inexpensive product in the aisle. They will then have the higher priced models nearby that are priced above competitors prices. SWA attempts to be a homey company but they are as brutal as the rest. Watch your own tv show to see how similar you are to the rest.

I fly them because:

1. They are convenient
2. The service is better
3. Their prices may not always be cheaper, but they are certainly fairer

Will you still worry about folks missing out on better fare deals when Tilton comes to you hat in hand and explains to you that since their reorganization plan figured oil would be $50...and if they are going to be able to offer those saavy travelers those better fare deals than Southwest, he'll need you to open your wallet yet again?

Them apples is just fine and the world is full of predictions. SWA has a TRACK RECORD! UA does too! One is a track record of year over year profits, Industry leading wages and growth. The other is one of Labor disputes, failed mergers, industry leading losses and a three-year bankruptcy proceeding.

Finally, something I can agree with. Heck, even the Harvard Business School wrote a case about Keller. But don’t tell that to the Bus! He enjoys blaming the demise of his great airline on the terrorists, not on FOs of his ilk who drowned the company’s reputation into the dirt, all for Contract 2000. As much as I don’t fly SWA, I can assure you that the airline has an impressive amount of respect from the Business-School (MBA) community. On the contrary, UA is consistently used as an example of how NOT to run a business.

Will you still worry about folks missing out on better fare deals when Tilton comes to you hat in hand and explains to you that since their reorganization plan figured oil would be $50..

KC you spout alot of BS. Here is your chance to produce the document that says UAL has a reorganizatin plan at $50 a bbl. I will give you some help. Go back to the the WSJ from 2 weeks ago today. Read the article on UAL reorg and you will see that oil up to $67 is accounted for in the plan. You and your lies are typical of someone that can not prove a point so you resort to lies. Well here is your chance to prove you are not full of crap.

Now you want to discuss the NTSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.