Ual Votes On Age 60 Rule

Dizel8

Senior
Sep 9, 2002
"United ALPA Council Vote Results on Age 60"

"Resolutions calling for ALPA to change its National Policy on Age 60 have been passed at the following United ALPA Local Executive Councils:

SFO (March 3), LAX (March 16) and DCA (March 18). Votes are coming in April at the DEN and ORD Councils. This sends a clear signal to ALPA National that the pilots at United are ready for the change in National Policy on mandatory retirement at age 60."

Not so fast there. I don't know if those are unofficial polls or what not, but official ALPA polling starts in April...

Here's the applicable part of the official ALPA notice:

"As announced last week, ALPA's web-based Age 60 Survey is coming in April. The information gathered from this poll will help to determine the Association's future policy and course of action regarding the FAA's Age 60 Rule.

Following the Board of Directors meeting last October, ALPA provided members with extensive information on a broad range of issues related to Age 60. This included a review of the rationale for the FAA regulation, ALPA's policy on Age 60, and the rule-making process; an examination of the safety and medical certification issues; and an analysis of the potential effect that changing the rule might have on pilot career earnings and retirement benefits. As you prepare to take the Age 60 Survey, we encourage you to learn more about the Age 60 issue. "

It was just a question. As I mentioned, this was posted on another board and I was just curious.

Dizel8 said:
"United ALPA Council Vote Results on Age 60"

"Resolutions calling for ALPA to change its National Policy on Age 60 have been passed at the following United ALPA Local Executive Councils:

SFO (March 3), LAX (March 16) and DCA (March 18). Votes are coming in April at the DEN and ORD Councils. This sends a clear signal to ALPA National that the pilots at United are ready for the change in National Policy on mandatory retirement at age 60."
[post="257794"][/post]​

There have been resolutions passed at some local LEC's supporting an increase in the retirement age.

From what I have heard those close to 60 are supporting it. I don't believe the majority of United pilots however are interested in changing the age 60 rule.

Just my opinion.

The way this job is headed, I sure don't want work past 60.
I can't imagine being 64 and flying under our new narrow body work rules.
My goal is outta here before 60...I'd rather live in a trailer for 10 years than work to 65 and die of a coronary a year later.

darkclouds said:
There have been resolutions passed at some local LEC's supporting an increase in the retirement age.

From what I have heard those close to 60 are supporting it. I don't believe the majority of United pilots however are interested in changing the age 60 rule.

Just my opinion.

The way this job is headed, I sure don't want work past 60.
I can't imagine being 64 and flying under our new narrow body work rules.
My goal is outta here before 60...I'd rather live in a trailer for 10 years than work to 65 and die of a coronary a year later.
[post="257879"][/post]​
You are probably right on this. I would agree with you that most of my friends who have some time left don't want to work past 60. Save now so you don't have to. If I was a junior guy on the list I would want the old farts out of my seat. They had their time to save and pi$$ed it away on fast cars and fast women. Tell them to apply at Walmart :up:

"They had their time to save and pi$$ed it away on fast cars and fast women. Tell them to apply at Walmart"

Hey Borescope, if there was someting constructive or relevant in those comments I must have missed it?

The message is that nothing is free. Your parents should have taught you that. These people who want to change the rules are the ones who spent most of their money rather than invest for a rainy day, which is coming. Now they want to change the rules because their golden goose got choked to death. The free ride after 60 is done and they realize that they should have listen to mama and dada. I say leave the rule along and move on when your time comes

I think if you're healthy, able and enjoy what you do, you should be able to continue to do it. Mandatory rules were written a long time ago, and they need to be updated to reflect our current progress in medicine and healthier lifestyles. Just because you hit a certain age, it shouldn't mean that you have to retire if you don't want to.

Borescope said:
The message is that nothing is free.  Your parents should have taught you that.  These people who want to change the rules are the ones who spent most of their money rather than invest for a rainy day, which is coming.  Now they want to change the rules because their golden goose got choked to death.  The free ride after 60 is done and they realize that they should have listen to mama and dada.  I say leave the rule along and move on when your time comes
[post="257911"][/post]​

Are you really sure that that's the problem with these guys Scope? Maybe they simply like their job. Why don't we 'retire' all the over-the-hill card playing mechanics while we're at it--to use your logic.

casual rat said:
Why don't we 'retire' all the over-the-hill card playing mechanics while we're at it--to use your logic.
[post="257991"][/post]​

Retirement is not an option anymore, you'll just have to shoot us. :p

B) UT